Texlaxers Support Thread

Honey Bee

^^^ You crazy, lol!

And, I am very sad to hear the foil thing wouldn't work. I, for one, thought it was an excellent idea.

shunemite

DAMMIT!!!!!! There goes my GREAT idea!!!! :lachen:

Glad I asked ya'll first. I had no idea. What's the deal with relaxers and metal??

Maybe I could do saran wrap instead. Do you think saran wrap would stay on?
Metal will react with the hydroxide and turn the relaxer into a liquid alloy of metals and fry your hair. I remember that from the no-lye relaxer instructions that say you have to stir it with plastic. I don't know! Those evil chemists! What I did a long long time ago once for my first try was I used about 1000 (PLASTIC!!!!) mini clips and pre-sectioned my whole head. Then I put the relaxer on both sides of each clipped section , and would take the clips out after as I went. I got the idea from a girl who used to use rubber bands, but rubber bands are a no-no. It helped me some, but not as much as doing vertical parts instead of horizontal. I think someone else put conditioner on the pre-relaxed part, but then again that might make your hair ends bend over :wallbash: :wallbash:

Ms_Twana

Metal will react with the hydroxide and turn the relaxer into a liquid alloy of metals and fry your hair. I remember that from the no-lye relaxer instructions that say you have to stir it with plastic. I don't know! Those evil chemists! What I did a long long time ago once for my first try was I used about 1000 (PLASTIC!!!!) mini clips and pre-sectioned my whole head. Then I put the relaxer on both sides of each clipped section , and would take the clips out after as I went. I got the idea from a girl who used to use rubber bands, but rubber bands are a no-no. It helped me some, but not as much as doing vertical parts instead of horizontal. I think someone else put conditioner on the pre-relaxed part, but then again that might make your hair ends bend over :wallbash: :wallbash:

Yeah, it does seem like going vertical would be much faster than going horizontal. Either way, I want to already have my hair pre-sectioned, no matter how I part it.

Ms_Twana

Okay ladies. I just finished preparing my hair for my touch up tomorrow. I based my scalp, protected my relaxed ends, and pre-sectioned my hair. I will do my hair in two halves. I made smaller sections in each half by parting diagonally. I sprayed each little section with Nioxin Bliss Thermal Protectant. I was about to return it, but then I saw the ingredients (below) and thought I'd try it for this. I also thought it would be good at showing my demarcation line.

AQUA/EAU/WATER, HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN, POLYQUATERNIUM-11, AMODIMETHICONE, CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, TRIDECETH-12, WHEAT AMINO ACIDS, SOYETHYL MORPHOLINIUM ETHO-SULFATE, CINNAMIDOPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, GLYCOPROTEINS, CYSTINE BIS-PG-PROPYL SILANETRIOL, MYRIST-ALKONIUM CHLORIDE, QUATERNIUM-14, MELANIN, POLYQUATERNIUM-10, PARFUM/FRAGRANCE, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

I then mixed a little bit of V05 Herbal Essence Strengthening Conditioner and CHI SI. I put that on each section. Then I put two fingers as close as I could to the demarcation line, then wrapped the access hair around my fingers (think of pin curling). I used a clip to secure the pin curl. I have maybe 12-14 of these little sections on each half.

Tomorrow, after I get the boys to school, I will base my scalp again, mix my SE SB lye mild relaxer with Neutral Protein Filler, EVOO, and SE Cholesterol. Then my process will begin. I'm not really certain what to look for texture wise. I'm just gonna go with my gut. Once I rince, I'll use Aphogee 2 min, then SE neutralizing shampoo. Then I'll shampoo (haven't decided with what yet) and DC with AO HSR with heat for at least 30 minutes. I haven't decided what I'm gonna do with my hair after that. I wanna wear it down SOOOO bad. :yep:

AtlantaJJ

Okay ladies. I just finished preparing my hair for my touch up tomorrow. I based my scalp, protected my relaxed ends, and pre-sectioned my hair. I will do my hair in two halves. I made smaller sections in each half by parting diagonally. I sprayed each little section with Nioxin Bliss Thermal Protectant. I was about to return it, but then I saw the ingredients (below) and thought I'd try it for this. I also thought it would be good at showing my demarcation line.

AQUA/EAU/WATER, HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN, POLYQUATERNIUM-11, AMODIMETHICONE, CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, TRIDECETH-12, WHEAT AMINO ACIDS, SOYETHYL MORPHOLINIUM ETHO-SULFATE, CINNAMIDOPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, GLYCOPROTEINS, CYSTINE BIS-PG-PROPYL SILANETRIOL, MYRIST-ALKONIUM CHLORIDE, QUATERNIUM-14, MELANIN, POLYQUATERNIUM-10, PARFUM/FRAGRANCE, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

I then mixed a little bit of V05 Herbal Essence Strengthening Conditioner and CHI SI. I put that on each section. Then I put two fingers as close as I could to the demarcation line, then wrapped the access hair around my fingers (think of pin curling). I used a clip to secure the pin curl. I have maybe 12-14 of these little sections on each half.

Tomorrow, after I get the boys to school, I will base my scalp again, mix my SE SB lye mild relaxer with Neutral Protein Filler, EVOO, and SE Cholesterol. Then my process will begin. I'm not really certain what to look for texture wise. I'm just gonna go with my gut. Once I rince, I'll use Aphogee 2 min, then SE neutralizing shampoo. Then I'll shampoo (haven't decided with what yet) and DC with AO HSR with heat for at least 30 minutes. I haven't decided what I'm gonna do with my hair after that. I wanna wear it down SOOOO bad. :yep:
Your plan sounds amazing especially the bolded, that will keep your hair from falling into the relaxer, that's a new problem for me since my hair is getting much longer. What type of clips are you going to use. I have some metal short roller clips that would be perfect...but they are metal. :lol: So I need to find something like that, a smaller clip that is non-metal.

I would do something simular to the sprockets but I would clip the length of the hair down. You and HoneyBee got it going on girlfriends!

:yay: :superbanana:

Ms_Twana

Your plan sounds amazing especially the bolded, that will keep your hair from falling into the relaxer, that's a new problem for me since my hair is getting much longer. What type of clips are you going to use. I have some metal short roller clips that would be perfect...but they are metal. :lol: So I need to find something like that, a smaller clip that is non-metal.

I would do something simular to the sprockets but I would clip the length of the hair down. You and HoneyBee got it going on girlfriends!

:yay: :superbanana:

The clips that I'm using ARE metal. But, once I'm finished with each section, I won't put the clip back in. I think I'll just let it hand down then.

Honey Bee

I'm going to the NYC meet-up tomorrow, so there will be pics. I'm probably gonna do a braid-out. Of course, it's supposed to be raining, so, we'll see how my hair holds up.

Ms_Twana

Alright ladies. I did my first self texlax yesterday. You see I've changed my siggy. I have also updated my Fotki with photos. Here was my process:

I texlaxed my hair in two halves. I started off with the intent of relaxing my entire head in one session. Well, after my 15 minute timer went off and I was still applying relaxer to the first part, I had to go to Plan B. I used gloves, and I think that held me back some. So, I think the first half was processed for about 20-25 minutes.

The second half was easier for me. I pulled those gloves off. For the second half, I had applied all of the relaxer and began to go back and smooth before my 15 minute timer went off. My scalp started to burn in certain sections (I think where I scratched), so I'm glad that I was working so much faster on that part. I applied relaxer to all sections and went back to smooth each section. I had gone to the kitchen to get ready to rinse the relaxer off when my 15 minute alarm went off. So, I moved a lot faster on that one. I'm sure the burning helped. But I'm worried about the two sides having different amounts of process time.

During the application, it was a little difficult to tell the texlaxed hair from the new growth sometimes. So, to be on the safe side, I didn't go further down with the relaxer if I wasn't SURE that it was new growth. As I blow dried my hair the next day, I realized I missed some new growth. So there are some sections that are new texlaxed, natural, and texlaxed. Oh well. I can NOT wait 6 months to texlax again. That was just way too much new growth for me to keep up with .

deusa80

^^I like your texture and thickness! I just bought some protein filler today, I think I'm going to use that as well the next time I texlax, along with more vaseline.
I'm also worried about not being able to tell the difference between the old texlaxed hair and the new growth...and I can't tell how much ng I've had since I texlaxed...

I think it's gonna take a while before I get this texlaxed hair thing down... so I hope we keep this thread active :grin:

shunemite

I will base my scalp again, mix my SE SB lye mild relaxer with Neutral Protein Filler, EVOO, and SE Cholesterol. Then my process will begin. I'm not really certain what to look for texture wise. I'm just gonna go with my gut. Once I rince, I'll use Aphogee 2 min, then SE neutralizing shampoo. Then I'll shampoo (haven't decided with what yet) and DC with AO HSR with heat for at least 30 minutes. I haven't decided what I'm gonna do with my hair after that. I wanna wear it down SOOOO bad. :yep:[/FONT][/FONT]

Good job! Lol at the amount of new growth. That happened to me once after stretching my relaxer with braids, I was like eek! How much protein filler did you add to your relaxer? Did you just dump the whole 2 oz bottle in there?

Ms_Twana

Good job! Lol at the amount of new growth. That happened to me once after stretching my relaxer with braids, I was like eek! How much protein filler did you add to your relaxer? Did you just dump the whole 2 oz bottle in there?

I just did a capful. And I decided not to add conditioner after reading a thread where some ladies said their relaxer basically did nothing after adding oil and conditioner.

Where's where I have a question though. Since I processed one side for 25-30 minutes and the other side for 15 mintues, one side is definitely straighter than the other side. :lachen:But it's funny because I have a section on the side that was processed less that came out straighter than any other section. :lachen:I would have like for certain sections of my hair to get a little straighter. Well, I probaby need to wash my hair a couple more times to evaluate that better. But, if after I evaluate my texture, I wish to get a little straighter should I go up from mild to regular or should I process longer? Which is less damaging?

I think that I really just want my edges a little straighter. I didn't have relaxer on those sections very long for obvious reasons. But, I may just be able to lay them down with gel or pomade though.

Honey Bee

^^^I was thinking about that too. I have about 3 months/3" (in some places) of texlaxed hair, and already, they're two different textures. I guess, once I cut off the relaxed ends and start wearing it curly, I'll be able to see what I'm working with. If I don't like it, I'll do a corrective.

my .02 :)

addaboutmyhair

How I apply a relaxer By Me Softresses

Date Posted: 09-26-2006 at 11:02 AM - Comments (0)
Hi Everyone!

I am at just below BSL and have done my own relaxers/texturizer for YEARS!

I make four sections, since my hair is so thick I have to divide each of those sections in half.

I do a loose two strand twist with each of those sections, (making sure that the newgrowth itself is not twisted) put nutralizer shampoo on the ends and secure. I then start to put in my relaxer on one twist at a time starting with where I have my tightest curls (front,middle). I do not take down the twist before I apply the relaxer. The twists are very loose and secured only on the end loosely with ouchless bands. I work reallly carefully and fast. (You could say I only texturize.)

Once I have finished applying relaxer to the new growth, I take down the loose twists,
(this method really works to keep from getting the relaxer on the ends and to keep longer hair from tangling if you are doing it by yourself). I shed very little hair applying it this way.

I then nutralize shampoo until all the "pink" has turned white and then do it once or twice more (yes, I am paranoid). Then I condition.

I hope some of this will help.

Softresses,

(Sorry I was lazy and copied it from my journal).

Thanks! This is a great idea. I usually have to do my texlax in 2 parts. Meaning I apply and wash out the front and then go to the back. This will be much faster.

shunemite

I just did a capful. And I decided not to add conditioner after reading a thread where some ladies said their relaxer basically did nothing after adding oil and conditioner.

Where's where I have a question though. Since I processed one side for 25-30 minutes and the other side for 15 mintues, one side is definitely straighter than the other side. :lachen:But it's funny because I have a section on the side that was processed less that came out straighter than any other section. :lachen:I would have like for certain sections of my hair to get a little straighter. Well, I probaby need to wash my hair a couple more times to evaluate that better. But, if after I evaluate my texture, I wish to get a little straighter should I go up from mild to regular or should I process longer? Which is less damaging?

I think that I really just want my edges a little straighter. I didn't have relaxer on those sections very long for obvious reasons. But, I may just be able to lay them down with gel or pomade though.

I just read your question today, so many threads to keep track of :look: My personal experience was that when I switched to regular I was supposed to work way faster than I physically could and so I experienced breakage. I would just stick with the mild and leave it on a little longer.

Ms_Twana

I just read your question today, so many threads to keep track of :look: My personal experience was that when I switched to regular I was supposed to work way faster than I physically could and so I experienced breakage. I would just stick with the mild and leave it on a little longer.

Oh okay. I DEFINITELY can't work any faster. I'll just stick with the mild and maybe put it on SOME of my edges earlier......kitchen area for example!!! :lachen:

Yeah. I think we ought to start a new support thread. This ones getting WAY too long. And where IS everybody?? Are most ladies no longer subscribed to the thread anymore? Are most ladies just not on that often anymore. It really is like the same ladies posting all the time. I need sum SUPPORT up in dis SUPPORT THREAD dangit!!!!! :yep: :lachen:

mstk

I did my first self-texlax at home yesterday night, and thanks to all of your tips it went well. Here's how I did it:

1. I coated the previously relaxed hair with oil (it was this oil mix my sister gave me that I hated, but it works for this purpose).

2. I parted my hair into 12 sections - first I parted into four quadrants, then I separated the hairline from each quadrant into its' own section, then parted what was left of each quadrant into two. Each of the 12 sections got its' own clip.

3. I based my edges and the lines between each section with vaseline.

4. I mixed 2 plastic spoons of olive oil and one of sweet almond oil into a tinting bowl and filled the rest with relaxer (Mizani Butter Blends for fine/colour treated).

5. I applied relaxer to my hair (in the order back R> front R> back L>front L, then nape and front edges).

6. After rinsing thoroughly, I applied Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor, and left it on for 5 minutes.
7. I then rinsed again, and shampooed 3 times with the Mizani neutralizing shampoo.

8. I applied a conditioning treatment to my hair, and covered with a cap while I cleaned up, then sat under my dryer for 30 minutes.

9. I rinsed for the last time, added some leave-ins (I like Aphogee green tea moisturizer and Carol's Daughter healthy hair butter), sealed with coconut oil, braided my hair and went to bed.

Next time, I'll have to work faster. I set two timers when I started - the first for 5 minutes (when I wanted to have finished applying the relaxer), and the second for 20 minutes (to begin rinse out). It actually took me about 9 minutes to finish applying relaxer, which means the edges processed for 11 minutes, and the first section for almost 20. I need to have a more even processing time.

Also, I ended up having to throw out some relaxer since I mixed so much of it (someone had talked about globbing it on to the new growth, so I figured better too much than too little).

Here's what it looks like this morning.

KnottyGurl

I've been watching and reading your replies lately. Recently, I changed back from natural to texlax. It was becoming too much for the moment. I may try to go natural again in the future, but right now, I'm enjoying the simplicity of being texlaxed. Keep the tips coming! If anyone starts a new thread, please post the link here so we can find it easily. :yep:

Aggie

I did my first self-texlax at home yesterday night, and thanks to all of your tips it went well. Here's how I did it:

1. I coated the previously relaxed hair with oil (it was this oil mix my sister gave me that I hated, but it works for this purpose).

2. I parted my hair into 12 sections - first I parted into four quadrants, then I separated the hairline from each quadrant into its' own section, then parted what was left of each quadrant into two. Each of the 12 sections got its' own clip.

3. I based my edges and the lines between each section with vaseline.

4. I mixed 2 plastic spoons of olive oil and one of sweet almond oil into a tinting bowl and filled the rest with relaxer (Mizani Butter Blends for fine/colour treated).

5. I applied relaxer to my hair (in the order back R> front R> back L>front L, then nape and front edges).

6. After rinsing thoroughly, I applied Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor, and left it on for 5 minutes.
7. I then rinsed again, and shampooed 3 times with the Mizani neutralizing shampoo.

8. I applied a conditioning treatment to my hair, and covered with a cap while I cleaned up, then sat under my dryer for 30 minutes.

9. I rinsed for the last time, added some leave-ins (I like Aphogee green tea moisturizer and Carol's Daughter healthy hair butter), sealed with coconut oil, braided my hair and went to bed.

Next time, I'll have to work faster. I set two timers when I started - the first for 5 minutes (when I wanted to have finished applying the relaxer), and the second for 20 minutes (to begin rinse out). It actually took me about 9 minutes to finish applying relaxer, which means the edges processed for 11 minutes, and the first section for almost 20. I need to have a more even processing time.

Also, I ended up having to throw out some relaxer since I mixed so much of it (someone had talked about globbing it on to the new growth, so I figured better too much than too little).

Here's what it looks like this morning.

The curly texture looks very pretty:yep:.

Ms_Twana

It looks great!!! :yep:

I agree, it really does look fantastic:yep:.

Thanks. I washed it Thursday night and the part that I texlaxed doesn't curl at all. :sad: I love the curls of my previously texlaxed hair. And it didn't look like that at first. Has anyone else experienced this? Does your hair start off straighter after a relaxer then get curlier as it's been washed more?

vkb247

Yep Ms. Twana my hair does curl up more after a couple of days, or it did before I started using a pre-neutralizing protein step. Have you tried a protein treatment?

Ms_Twana

Yep Ms. Twana my hair does curl up more after a couple of days, or it did before I started using a pre-neutralizing protein step. Have you tried a protein treatment?

I did the 2 min Aphogee protein before neutralizing. Is that what you're talking about?

Hi Ladies! Sorry if I'm asking a questions(s) already asked, I've been browsing a number of different threads tonight - but...

1) are you all doing your texlaxes / texturizers at a salon or yourself and

2) are you / can you add oils to your product? I know adding oils slows down the process and I am considering texturizering my natural hair and adding oil to it just to slow it down/ have a stylist slow down the process.

3) what is / are some of the best lines to texlax/ texturizer our hair with? Alter Ego Linange / Affirm / Mizani / ORS/ S-Curl.....?

I'm all natural 4a/b and do not what fully straight hair on a daily basis but do want to be able to blow out my hair straight from time to time / have someone else blow it out and/ have it roller-set and blown out. From reading the posts, I am thinking that a texturizer may be good for me vs. a mild relaxer with oil or a texlax (relaxer with oil...right?)

Thank You

Ms_Twana

Hi Ladies! Sorry if I'm asking a questions(s) already asked, I've been browsing a number of different threads tonight - but...

I had mine done at a salon the first time. I was going from natural to texlax. I will be doing them myself from now on.

2) are you / can you add oils to your product? I know adding oils slows down the process and I am considering texturizering my natural hair and adding oil to it just to slow it down/ have a stylist slow down the process.

I put oil in mine. I believe a did a capful of EVOO for each half of my hair. I relax in two sections.

3) what is / are some of the best lines to texlax/ texturizer our hair with? Alter Ego Linange / Affirm / Mizani / ORS/ S-Curl.....?

I used Silk Elements Shea Butter Mild and it worked great. Most ladies that want bone straight hair complain that this one doesn't get them bone straight, or that it reverts. So I thought it would be perfect to texlax with.

I'm all natural 4a/b and do not what fully straight hair on a daily basis but do want to be able to blow out my hair straight from time to time / have someone else blow it out and/ have it roller-set and blown out. From reading the posts, I am thinking that a texturizer may be good for me vs. a mild relaxer with oil or a texlax (relaxer with oil...right?)

Now I don't know of the different effects of a texturizer vs. texlas, so I can't help you there.

Thank You

Response are above.

Honey Bee

Thank You

1) We did it at home.
2) The post where I break down my method: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=9074850&postcount=307
3) I used Vitale no-lye sensitive scalp. Nothing special about it except, I'm transitioning from relaxed, and it's the one I always used.