Texture poll for naturals

When wet what best describes your hairs texture?

• Curly/coily

Votes: 115 71.4%
  • Straight

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Bushy w/out a curl pattern

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • Something else

Votes: 22 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I'm curious to understand/learn about the textures of my type 4 ladies. Do most of you also have coils/curls when your hair is wet? If not please describe your hair texture after you wash.

I am somewhere in the curly/kinky league and am hoping for a kick ass curly afro.

Last edited:

Tene

On the top and the right side of my hair I have coils whether I wash or not. The left side isn't really defined either way but I also have less hair on that side. In the back you can see random curls and some areas it look like staright parts or fluffy not really defined until I put my products in.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
When my hair is wet, it is tight coils and kinks that are shrunken down about 75% of my hair length.

Syrah

Yup...I'm with the other ladies - a lot of bush, not so much curl.

Natural:
BlowDried:

Cheleigh

Wet: curly in back and sides; coily in center; wavy/straight in front.

Dry: the same as wet, but kinkier and bushier all around, especially in front.

babyblue

when wet i have some tiny defined coils which if i want to keep the definition i have to add holding gel or curl product immediately in sections and scrunch.

if i let it dry with either no products, leave in or oil alone it turns into a frizzy, kinky, nappy bush, with random coils scattered here and there. so yeah products do make a difference.

blazingthru

babyblue said:
when wet i have some tiny defined coils which if i want to keep the definition i have to add holding gel or curl product immediately in sections and scrunch.

if i let it dry with either no products, leave in or oil alone it turns into a frizzy, kinky, nappy bush, with random coils scattered here and there. so yeah products do make a difference.
This is exactly how my hair is its very curly when wet but it drys like and afro with curls here and there except the top and back is very curly and loose curls. I wish my entired head was like that it would make dealing with it easier. My hair is a mixture of 2A and 3A I would say. I only comb my hair once in blue moon it doesn't tangle or get nappy either. I never knew I had hair like this.

asummertyme

when my hair is wet it is coily at the top, bushy in the front, curly on the sides and back..it dries the same...my hair has type 2 hair on the sides that barley curls at all..

PaperClip

ThickHair said:
Wet, I have some defined curls, dry it is just bushy.

This seems to describe my hair as well.... Products seem to enhance/define the curls.... I still have relaxed ends, though....

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When wet, my hair is supa curly. When it dries, the curls are there, but they are frizzy. I need gel or Elucence MB cond to bring 'em back to life.:lol:

curlilocs

Curly ringlets when wet. Curly/ coily when dry in the back. Curly/ frizzy in the front and sides dry without product.

honeycomb719

babyblue said:
when wet i have some tiny defined coils
if i let it dry with either no products, leave in or oil alone it turns into a frizzy, kinky, nappy bush, with random coils scattered here and there.

This sound like me too:lol:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
Its coily all over that can frizz in places. I'm kinda sad about it cause I can never get a good fro unless I pick it out and then I still have coils

CarefreeinChicago

all of the above and then some

the front is wavy when dry the crown has well defined coils with no product but they are frizzy and from the ears back is just bushy

Country gal

The coils/curls are more defined when wet. When my hair drys it becomes more coily and wavy in some parts.

beyondcute

*sigh* Mines is definitely some 'other'... Big fat waves. No curls, no coils, no ringlets, no zig zagz... *sigh*.... And frizz galore. When wet, long s's when dry medium s's all over and short s's in front

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
babyblue said:

My hair is exactly the same way.

Brownie

Wildchild453 said:
Its coily all over that can frizz in places. I'm kinda sad about it cause I can never get a good fro unless I pick it out and then I still have coils

I have to do the same thing to get an afro puff, but like you, I still end up with curls mixed in. I have to pick my hair out a great deal to get it to poof out---but then the ends curl up and I end up with knots. I save afro puffs for special times only because it takes too much combing and manipulation. At one time, I thought natural hair could easily be styled into an afro; that's not true. There are so many textures and combination of textures that you can't generalize.

NGC

Country gal said:
The coils/curls are more defined when wet. When my hair drys it becomes more coily and wavy in some parts.
same here. It stretches as well......

guesswho

babyblue said:

this is me right here 100%

glamazon386

I'm a 4a. My hair is full of little coils. Maybe about the size of a pencil. Maybe a little smaller. They're not coffee stirrer size. If I brush the curls out I'll have a fro.

ETA: It looks bushier if I let it airdry with no product though. I usually try to add some type of leave in conditioner.