Texturizer/Relaxers etc.

trinidarkie1

Hello my fellow LHCF Ladies!
I'm seeking out information regarding brands of Relaxers and the use of texturizers (I don't know if that's the same as tex laxing)

Anyway, my search option does not work here in the office, so if there is a thread that lists Relaxers for damaged hair etc. I'd love to get the link so I can read up. (To avoid the berrating (sp?) for not reading :lachen:)

Also, is Texturizing Different from Texlaxing? IF so, what's the difference.
can you texturize on previously relaxed hair?

Info! Info! Info!

TIA!

bbdgirl

To be totall honest I dont know exactly the difference is b/n texlax and texturize is. When I asked my hairstylist to texturize my natural hair she took out of box of "Just for me " relaxer and slapped it in for about 8 minutes and washed it out and my hair was texturized. Basically she underprocessed it. Which is the same that I do myself now. I think that you first have to know what kind of hair you have (fine, med, coarse), how quickly does your hair relax, so that you will know how long to leave the relaxer on your hair to get the optimum results.
I have used to PCJ(no lye box perm), Just for me- no lye (kiddie perm), Mizani no-lye, revlon realistic-lye, African Pride-no lye, Hawaiian Silky(mild-lithium hydroxide) to varying results but satisfactory

When my hair was natural I used the texturizer box perm, but frankly nothing happened. So I have nothing to report.

Also at some point I went back bone straight and last year I have been texlaxing (underprocessing) my hair. So I now have two textures of hair on my head.
I hope that helps

trinidarkie1

Thanks so much for responding.
So TexLax = Underprocessing hair on purpose.
My hair does not take very long to process at all.

I've been thinking of using a kiddie perm or something very light. I believe my hair is very thin to medium now, especially with some thinning at the crown.

My goal is to have healthier hair, however, I am not a cute stretcher and the wig that I am wearing needs a break. My edges do not look good when I do not have a perm. I look rough :lachen:. I also just want to be able to chart my new growth well.

bbdgirl

Technically the kiddie perms are not weaker than regular adult perms, so i would stay away from those, especially if your hair relaxes quickly. I like Mizani, because it really doesnt relax strong at all; meaning it does not relax as straight as other brands, it is very gentle.
You should also try a patch-strand test to get a better idea of just how quickly your hair relaxes. So that you are not disappointed with the results b/c you just guessed at how quickly/slowly your hair relaxed cuz not every relaxer is made the same.

I cant really tell u what to do about your edges outside of brushing and slicking down with water, grease, or gel

trinidarkie1

Technically the kiddie perms are not weaker than regular adult perms, so i would stay away from those, especially if your hair relaxes quickly. I like Mizani, because it really doesnt relax strong at all; meaning it does not relax as straight as other brands, it is very gentle.
You should also try a patch-strand test to get a better idea of just how quickly your hair relaxes. So that you are not disappointed with the results b/c you just guessed at how quickly/slowly your hair relaxed cuz not every relaxer is made the same.

I cant really tell u what to do about your edges outside of brushing and slicking down with water, grease, or gel

Oh Wow! I didn't know that. Then why call them kiddie perms? :ohwell:
I may have to see what CVS has on sale and stock up on my Glycerin and stuff while I am there.