The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

Black Ambrosia

The hospitals and EMT services literally are tapped out of resources. I was in an accident yesterday, and I’m telling you supplies, equipment, and Human Resources (staff) are low.. please do what you can to stay healthy. I know we have clinical and healthcare professionals right in this thread, I just want to say thank you and you are in my prayers. My experience yesterday was mind blowing. You hear medical professionals begging and pleading on tv and SM for people to follow the guidelines and stay home, and not many people are taking it serious.
Can you share more details about your experience?

sunshinebeautiful

If you have Hulu the documentary on how the Trump adminstration is handling this Pandemic is a must watch.

It is called Totally Under Control. :mad:

Yup. Cosign. I watched it a few weeks ago in the leadup to the election. You're right - good documentary, explaining at all angles how to got to this mess. And super infuriating that we are still in this mess.

Everything Zen

Well I can tell y’all I just got off the phone with my uncle’s doctor and he may not even be able to get him in to remove his prostate until the end of January at this point and even that date is not set in stone and his cancer is so aggressive that it’s not exactly safe to wait that long. My opthamologist hasn't even bothered calling me back to schedule cataract surgery.

naturalgyrl5199

Ya'll I can't.

So a new hire (like working here 2 weeks...a young BW) came to work coughing today. Her supervisor has a fragile immune system and promptly freaks out cause the child tells her that her live in BF tested positive. They send her home. She and then all the staff at work today take rapid tests that are all negative. But my spidey senses are up. Sure enough when I inquire more, the girl came in exactly one week ago with a cough and had taken a test that prior weekend and it was negative. I call our lead epidemiologist ( a sister) and says we have to assume she is a presumptive positive bc symptoms x7 days. I'm upset bc at first my Epi person was like she can come back to work as an essential worker if she is asymptomatic...but she IS symptomatic so I told her she gone stay her &*^ at home. I called her behind myself --she was SHOOKETH cause I'm the Director-and told her to get BACK to the testing site TODAY and take a confirmatory PCR test and then go to her doctor or urgent care for a flu test. I told her its EXTREMELY irresponsible to even come to the office with a cough knowing your live in BF has a positive test and you been coughing a good week. Then she said not only is he positive but he is SUPER SUPER SICK --and ya'll know she is probably his caretaker! I wanted to throw the phone.

This is the kind of foolishness that has our country stuck. My staff are now getting N95s and they are all getting PCR tests. Thank GOD I am not having these clients come into the office at all. I want to fire her for being stupid.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Ya'll I can't.

So a new hire (like working here 2 weeks...a young BW) came to work coughing today. Her supervisor has a fragile immune system and promptly freaks out cause the child tells her that her live in BF tested positive. They send her home. She and then all the staff at work today take rapid tests that are all negative. But my spidey senses are up. Sure enough when I inquire more, the girl came in exactly one week ago with a cough and had taken a test that prior weekend and it was negative. I call our lead epidemiologist ( a sister) and says we have to assume she is a presumptive positive bc symptoms x7 days. I'm upset bc at first my Epi person was like she can come back to work as an essential worker if she is asymptomatic...but she IS symptomatic so I told her she gone stay her &*^ at home. I called her behind myself --she was SHOOKETH cause I'm the Director-and told her to get BACK to the testing site TODAY and take a confirmatory PCR test and then go to her doctor or urgent care for a flu test. I told her its EXTREMELY irresponsible to even come to the office with a cough knowing your live in BF has a positive test and you been coughing a good week. Then she said not only is he positive but he is SUPER SUPER SICK --and ya'll know she is probably his caretaker! I wanted to throw the phone.

This is the kind of foolishness that has our country stuck. My staff are now getting N95s and they are all getting PCR tests. Thank GOD I am not having these clients come into the office at all. I want to fire her for being stupid.
While I'm shocked by your story, I'm really not. This pandemic and 2020 in general has shown me that the collective average IQ at any given place is in the world -2. The only difference between the real world and the movie Idiocracy is that people still know how to drive and use toilet paper.

Everything Zen

Ya'll I can't.

She should be fired. Companies need to update their sick/flex/remote policies and termination should be on the table for people who knowingly exhibit in reckless irresponsible conduct.

ScorpioBeauty09

Another one of my college-aged sister's friends caught COVID. One of his housemates got a false negative test result and spread it to everyone in the house. He is mostly asymptomatic.

One of my mom's friends with adult children in their mid-20s is furious with her daughter who lives in another part of the state, for going on road trips, and dining at restaurants repeatedly. She was going to come up here for the holiday and my mom's friend told her no. But her daughter lost her job because of the pandemic and her unemployment is going to run out so she might have to come back home.

I mentioned it upthread but we had our kitchen taken apart because of flooding when the pandemic first started and it's finally rebuilt. Now my dad is having other work done in the house so people are coming over regularly and many of them are not wearing masks. :angry2: Luckily the house is big enough where I can stay in my room and work and not have to come in contact with them but it's still infuriating.

awhyley

I mentioned it upthread but we had our kitchen taken apart because of flooding when the pandemic first started and it's finally rebuilt. Now my dad is having other work done in the house so people are coming over regularly and many of them are not wearing masks. :angry2: Luckily the house is big enough where I can stay in my room and work and not have to come in contact with them but it's still infuriating.

You staying in your room doesn't really protect you in the long run, depending on how long the virus stays in the air. We had contractors in last week too, and the minute they left, I was sure to spray everything; the doorknobs, the tables, the air, the walls, etc. Make sure you disinfect everything when they leave. You don't know who they come into contact with because they arrive at your place.

Crackers Phinn

Another one of my college-aged sister's friends caught COVID. One of his housemates got a false negative test result and spread it to everyone in the house. He is mostly asymptomatic.

One of my mom's friends with adult children in their mid-20s is furious with her daughter who lives in another part of the state, for going on road trips, and dining at restaurants repeatedly. She was going to come up here for the holiday and my mom's friend told her no. But her daughter lost her job because of the pandemic and her unemployment is going to run out so she might have to come back home.

Somebody, i.e., the person paying them needs to tell them that they need to have masks on to enter the house and while all work is done. If they want the money they will make it happen. I told the landlord for our warehouse that they need to tell any vendors they have coming in that masks need to be worn at all times. An electrician decided that since he was in a back area that he was good to pull his mask down down. He was spotted and his :moon: was out the building 15 minutes later and lost his contract with the leasing agency.

Black Ambrosia

I read that ozone is effective at killing the virus in the air. Please confirm before buying but ozone generators are relatively cheap at $120+. I think they're primarily used for mold removal.

No people, pets, or plants can be around when it's running and you need to wait 30 minutes after it runs before returning. If I had to share space with people who weren't complying or I owned a business with a lot of foot traffic I'd invest in something like this for peace of mind. I'm thinking about getting one to remove the odor in a property I may buy.

ScorpioBeauty09

You staying in your room doesn't really protect you in the long run, depending on how long the virus stays in the air. We had contractors in last week too, and the minute they left, I was sure to spray everything; the doorknobs, the tables, the air, the walls, etc. Make sure you disinfect everything when they leave. You don't know who they come into contact with because they arrive at your place.
Thanks. We have the windows open when they're here. But I will disinfect the room where they were. I just got bought more disinfecting spray and wipes.

Crackers Phinn

I hope this is fake. That said, beyond the trifling of the chick not keeping her hair in her own space and the habitual line stepper seated behind her, did you notice that both of them was sitting on that plane with their masks down just recirculating the covid air? Not to mention that in a pandemic, ole girl is putting her spit on somebody else's person.

Everything Zen

I hope this is fake. That said, beyond the trifling of the chick not keeping her hair in her own space and the habitual line stepper seated behind her, did you notice that both of them was sitting on that plane with their masks down just recirculating the covid air? Not to mention that in a pandemic, ole girl is putting her spit on somebody else's person.

I heard it was a prank, she was wearing a weave and they were both in on it together. This pandemic has shown me that with all these random shenanigans going on including the white man who peed on the black lady I’m not flying commercial anymore. I need to be making enough money for my own charter flights or a personal jet.

Transformer

From Chris Kesser, Functional Medicine Doctor

Hi, Everyone,

For the past few months, I’ve been sharing research suggesting that maintaining normal vitamin D levels prevents the risk of severe COVID-19 infection.

Just over a week ago, yet another study confirming this finding was published in the journal Nature.

The researchers compared people with asymptomatic infections to people with severe infections: 97 percent of people in the severe group had vitamin D deficiency (average level of 14!) vs. 33 percent in the asymptomatic group (28—which, I would still argue, is mildly deficient). People with low vitamin D also had higher levels of inflammatory markers like ferritin, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, and interleukin-6.

Most impressively: the fatality rate was seven times higher in the low vitamin D group (21 percent vs. 3 percent)!

I believe this is now the 15th observational study investigating the connection between vitamin D and COVID-19. (A recent paper reviewed 14 of 15 of these studies—the 15th came out after the review was published.)

Of these 15 studies, 12 found an inverse association between vitamin D levels and the risk of severe COVID-19 infection (meaning people with lower vitamin D had a higher risk of severe infection).

Of the three trials that didn’t find this association, two had very long intervals (sometimes over a year) between measuring 25 (OH)D levels in the participants’ blood and when they contracted COVID-19. This makes the findings less reliable.

In the other trial, patients with low baseline levels of vitamin D at the start of the study were given very high doses of vitamin D supplements to bring up their levels. This could explain the lack of association between baseline vitamin D levels and the risk of severe infection.

Can observational studies prove a causal relationship between vitamin D and COVID-19 severity?

The short answer is: no.

But we can use the Bradford Hill criteria for causality to get a better idea of whether a causal relationship is likely.

The Hill criteria use factors like temporality, strength of association, the dose–response relationship, consistency of findings, plausibility (e.g., mechanisms), accounting for alternate explanations, experiments (e.g., randomized controlled trials [RCTs]), and coherence with known facts to explore whether two findings that are correlated—like vitamin D levels and the severity of COVID-19 infection—have a causal relationship.

For example:

• A stronger association is more convincing than a weaker association.
  • An association that can be explained through well-defined and plausible mechanisms is more convincing than an association that cannot be explained this way.
  • If a higher dose of the intervention is associated with greater effects, and a lower dose with smaller effects, that is more convincing than no dose–response relationship.
The association between vitamin D and COVID-19 infection meets most of the Hill criteria, which makes a causal relationship more likely.

What about experiments that would prove a causal relationship, like RCTs?

We also now have at least three RCTs that have experimentally tested giving vitamin D supplements to patients with COVID-19. (The review paper I mentioned above analyzed two of them. The third came out after the review was published.)

While these trials were small and had some methodological issues, two of them provided at least weak support to the hypothesis that vitamin D significantly reduces the risk of severe COVID-19 infection.

More RCTs are underway and we should see the results of these in the next few months. I’ll report on them as they come in.

Can we be certain that vitamin D reduces COVID-19 severity?

Again, the short answer is: no.

However, I believe that there is more than enough evidence to justify the inclusion of recommending vitamin D in public health advice. And I am not alone. There are more than 30 review papers, meta-analyses, editorials, and perspectives in the scientific literature from researchers that are also advocating for this.

There are several reasons for this:

1. There are now 12 observational studies that support the connection. While they can’t prove a causal relationship, they do meet most of the Bradford Hill criteria for causality.
  2. Two RCTs provide at least weak support.
  3. Vitamin D is incredibly safe when taken at appropriate doses (up to 8,000 IU/d).
  4. Vitamin D deficiency is widespread in the industrialized world. Rates vary by country, but in most cases, the majority of people have suboptimal vitamin D levels.
  5. Vitamin D is relatively cheap.
  6. Vitamin D is readily available without a prescription.
  7. The benefits of correcting vitamin D deficiency are well established and go far beyond reducing the risk of severe COVID-19 infection.
Given this, why aren’t public health authorities recommending vitamin D?

Well, this email is already pretty long, so I’ll refer you to an Instagram video I recorded last week with some of my thoughts about it.

Please forward this to anyone that you think would benefit from it. Since we’re not hearing much about this in the mainstream media, it’s up to us to share this vital information with our friends, family, colleagues, and the public at large.

In health,

Chris

prettywhitty

Hi, Everyone,

For the past few months, I’ve been sharing research suggesting that maintaining normal vitamin D levels prevents the risk of severe COVID-19 infection.

Just over a week ago, yet another study confirming this finding was published in the journal Nature.

The researchers compared people with asymptomatic infections to people with severe infections: 97 percent of people in the severe group had vitamin D deficiency (average level of 14!) vs. 33 percent in the asymptomatic group (28—which, I would still argue, is mildly deficient). People with low vitamin D also had higher levels of inflammatory markers like ferritin, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, and interleukin-6.

Most impressively: the fatality rate was seven times higher in the low vitamin D group (21 percent vs. 3 percent)!

I believe this is now the 15th observational study investigating the connection between vitamin D and COVID-19. (A recent paper reviewed 14 of 15 of these studies—the 15th came out after the review was published.)

Of these 15 studies, 12 found an inverse association between vitamin D levels and the risk of severe COVID-19 infection (meaning people with lower vitamin D had a higher risk of severe infection).

Of the three trials that didn’t find this association, two had very long intervals (sometimes over a year) between measuring 25 (OH)D levels in the participants’ blood and when they contracted COVID-19. This makes the findings less reliable.

In the other trial, patients with low baseline levels of vitamin D at the start of the study were given very high doses of vitamin D supplements to bring up their levels. This could explain the lack of association between baseline vitamin D levels and the risk of severe infection.

Can observational studies prove a causal relationship between vitamin D and COVID-19 severity?

But we can use the Bradford Hill criteria for causality to get a better idea of whether a causal relationship is likely.

The Hill criteria use factors like temporality, strength of association, the dose–response relationship, consistency of findings, plausibility (e.g., mechanisms), accounting for alternate explanations, experiments (e.g., randomized controlled trials [RCTs]), and coherence with known facts to explore whether two findings that are correlated—like vitamin D levels and the severity of COVID-19 infection—have a causal relationship.

For example:

• An association that can be explained through well-defined and plausible mechanisms is more convincing than an association that cannot be explained this way.
  • If a higher dose of the intervention is associated with greater effects, and a lower dose with smaller effects, that is more convincing than no dose–response relationship.
The association between vitamin D and COVID-19 infection meets most of the Hill criteria, which makes a causal relationship more likely.

We also now have at least three RCTs that have experimentally tested giving vitamin D supplements to patients with COVID-19. (The review paper I mentioned above analyzed two of them. The third came out after the review was published.)

While these trials were small and had some methodological issues, two of them provided at least weak support to the hypothesis that vitamin D significantly reduces the risk of severe COVID-19 infection.

More RCTs are underway and we should see the results of these in the next few months. I’ll report on them as they come in.

However, I believe that there is more than enough evidence to justify the inclusion of recommending vitamin D in public health advice. And I am not alone. There are more than 30 review papers, meta-analyses, editorials, and perspectives in the scientific literature from researchers that are also advocating for this.

1. There are now 12 observational studies that support the connection. While they can’t prove a causal relationship, they do meet most of the Bradford Hill criteria for causality.
  3. Vitamin D is incredibly safe when taken at appropriate doses (up to 8,000 IU/d).
  4. Vitamin D deficiency is widespread in the industrialized world. Rates vary by country, but in most cases, the majority of people have suboptimal vitamin D levels.
  7. The benefits of correcting vitamin D deficiency are well established and go far beyond reducing the risk of severe COVID-19 infection.

Well, this email is already pretty long, so I’ll refer you to an Instagram video I recorded last week with some of my thoughts about it.

Please forward this to anyone that you think would benefit from it. Since we’re not hearing much about this in the mainstream media, it’s up to us to share this vital information with our friends, family, colleagues, and the public at large.

In health,

Chris
I’m am supplementing with Vitamin D3, zinc, vitamin c, and elderberry.

Jmartjrmd

I read that ozone is effective at killing the virus in the air. Please confirm before buying but ozone generators are relatively cheap at $120+. I think they're primarily used for mold removal.

No people, pets, or plants can be around when it's running and you need to wait 30 minutes after it runs before returning. If I had to share space with people who weren't complying or I owned a business with a lot of foot traffic I'd invest in something like this for peace of mind. I'm thinking about getting one to remove the odor in a property I may buy.
I've had my ozone thing for years and I love it.

Crackers Phinn

Hi, Everyone,

For example:

In health,

Chris
Listen, I think Vitamin D is wonderful and helpful and that people who aren't vitamin D (or A-Z vitamin) deficient will do better fighting a host of illnesses and Covid-19. That said, the minute anybody tells me that they are giving me insight to the wonder cure that's being hidden by the greedy establishment, I am compelled to investigate how the sharers of suppressed information make their money.

Q 1 - Who is providing the information? From Chris Kesser, Functional Medicine Doctor
Q 2- What comes up on the Googles about the provider of the information? Reinvent Healthcare with Functional Medicine | Chris Kresser
Q 3 - Is there a store on the information providers website? Introducing our new supplement store | Chris Kresser
Professional Supplement Dispensary | Wellevate
Q 4. - Does the provider of the information sell the thing that they are telling me the greedy establishment is keeping from me? I'm not going to make an account for this dudes supplement selling store but if I had to take a wild guess that there's Vitamin D being sold in the supplement store.

I'm not knocking the hustle, I have been taking Vitamin D under doctors orders since 2014, I'm just pointing out that the hustle is there. My dentist who does a podcast on how Vitamin D is the key to the universe also sells supplements at his practice which are far more expensive but have the same ingredients as the ones I purchase at Vitamin Shoppe.

Black Ambrosia

Took the COVID test last Friday. The Maryland State Tests Results site has been down all week. What do folks like us do? DD was told that she can go back to work tomorrow.
I think you should be quarantining for 7-10 days under the new CDC recommendation because you've been in contact with someone who tested positive. DD may be exempt as an essential worker so that's probably why they're expecting her back tomorrow. Or maybe tomorrow it'll be 7-10 days from when she initially tested positive? I don't like that it's ok to re-engage after quarantining even if you're still positive. That's just wrong.