The secret to thick and healthy hair whether relaxed or natural is...

exoticmommie

SULFATE FREE SHAMPOOS.

Use them only to clarify.

I have been stalking fotkis. And going to different sites, and that is the one thing that most of my hair idols have in common.

Even white women were saying they noticed a big difference in their hairs thickness after cutting it out.

Any shampoos containing sulfate was only used to clarify either once a month or as needed.

A lot of the said women had such simple reggies, that either no shampooing or barely shampooing was the only significant thing I could see in their reggies. They weren't even using really expensive products.

I had been doing this as well, and I too noticed a difference. I cannot believe how thick my hair has gotten (although I do think it could be even thicker if it wasn't for all this post partum shedding. A garlic treatment has slowed it down significantly). The only shampoo that has sulfate in it is creamy aloe by ORS which i use to clarify.

Hope this helps someone. :)

exoticmommie

Yes,

you can either mix your own using some organic castile soap (dr.bronners, dr. woods, and etc) your favorite oils, and distilled water. (I also add aloe vera juice).

Or

Elasta QP conditioning creme soap.

Wen Conditioning Cleanser

Co-washing with conditioners that have little to no silicone. (ex. V05 Moisture milks, or VO5 clarifying conditioners)

Any other ladies, can offer up some suggestions of their favorites as well.

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

I use Aubrey Organics Shampoo's. I also think that protein conditioners help thicken up the hair too. Or non-sulfate protein shampoo's could also help thicken up the hair.

I also do the Dr. Bonners Castille soap shampoo concoction too.

Or

I use a water/baking soda rinse.

pookaloo83

I use Giovanni. One is a moisturizing one and one is a clarifying. I use their moisturizing conditioner as well.

Harina

There is this new Loreal Ever Pure Sulfate Free System that I wanted to try. But I wanted to wait until my current shampoo, ORS Aloe, ran out.

ceebee3

I wish it were so but no shampoo is going to increase or decrease the thickness of your hair.

If you have naturally thick hair it will always be that way unless you damage it.

If you have naturally thin/fine hair it will always be that way. You can use temporary fixers like henna, but that's still just coating your hair.

I wish I had thick hair but I know I won't.

exoticmommie

I wish it were so but no shampoo is going to increase or decrease the thickness of your hair.

If you have naturally thick hair it will always be that way unless you damage it.

If you have naturally thin/fine hair it will always be that way. You can use temporary fixers like henna, but that's still just coating your hair.

I wish I had thick hair but I know I won't.

I think that it can definitely make it fuller. My hair will never be as thick as some of the women on the boards. But it is definitely the fullest it's ever been. When I look at the pictures that have been taken most recently. I cannot believe it's my hair. You can look at the latest thread I started and see a major difference from when I began to now. I also agree with curly moo. Using conditioners and shampoos with protein it also helps a lot. You just have to be careful with the amount of usage.

ETA: To me it makes sense about the non sulfate shampoos. When you use the shampoo you strip your hair, and then you work to put so much back in. I think that is why the reggies were so simple. They didn't have to work hard to put stuff back in.

Last edited:

ceebee3

I think that it can definitely make it fuller. My hair will never be as thick as some of the women on the boards. But it is definitely the fullest it's ever been. When I look at the pictures that have been taken most recently. I cannot believe it's my hair. You can look at the latest thread I started and see a major difference from when I began to now. I also agree with curly moo. Using conditioners and shampoos with protein it also helps a lot. You just have to be careful with the amount of usage.

I see what you're saying but it's full because your hair already had the potential to be that way the shampoo didn't do it.

It was your care and attention to your hair that did it.

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
I alternate Shescentit Tea Tree shampoo and Hairveda shikaikai shampoo bar, not only are they SF but they're natural...I'd highly recommend natural/organic products.

Mz.MoMo5235

this being known knowledge, you would think i would listen. but i think this time around i actually will. i will poo once a month only!!! hopefully that will remedy my breakage issue :(

exoticmommie

I see what you're saying but it's full because your hair already had the potential to be that way the shampoo didn't do it.

It was your care and attention to your hair that did it.

So you don't think your hair can get fuller? You sound like my mom. She has thin hair, and doesn't think it can get fuller. I am just... trying... to... reach... her...

She says her has has been thin all her life, and that it can't get any fuller. I am determined to help her.

it_comes_naturally

So you don't think your hair can get fuller? You sound like my mom. She has thin hair, and doesn't think it can get fuller. I am just... trying... to... reach... her...

She says her has has been thin all her life, and that it can't get any fuller. I am determined to help her.

I don't think it can work either. I've been using sulfate free shampoos for atleast 1yr now. I've had fine hair all my life and it's still fine. I cut the relaxed hair off almost 1yr ago and the same fine hair is still growing out of my scalp.

I really wish it were true cause I'd love to have fuller hair. :sad:

ceebee3

If my hair was damaged and that caused thinning, then yes it's possible to get fuller hair again.

What I'm saying is if you have naturally thin/fine hair there is no product that will give you thick/full hair.

Lovie

Hair grows out what goes in.

Put good nutrients in your body, keep your scalp balanced and healthy, regular vitamins, supplements for areas that are deficient, and your hair will improve as it grows out. You can grow hair out thicker if you research with a nutritionist..or you hang out on LHCF long enough..From there, you MUST maintain it.

Natural hair, heat-free, chemical free, stress-free hair is almost always much "thicker" than relaxed/flat ironed/blow dried/dyed/stressed hair because the strand isn't broken down and weakened by harsh styling activities.

Once its wrecked, you cant go back. Just try to salvage what is left and make it look the best it can by building it up with protein and hydrating with moisture so it doesnt break off and you dont lose length.

There are good products to help in growing a healthy head of hair - but you can't change your natural hair type, only enhance it.

Good luck!

Lovie

Oh, and IMPO, "volumizers" really just give some type of temporary rinse out filler on the hair so it sticks up more at the root, giving the illusion of thicker fuller hair.

Lovie

SULFATE FREE SHAMPOOS.

Use them only to clarify.

I have been stalking fotkis. And going to different sites, and that is the one thing that most of my hair idols have in common.

Even white women were saying they noticed a big difference in their hairs thickness after cutting it out.

Any shampoos containing sulfate was only used to clarify either once a month or as needed.

A lot of the said women had such simple reggies, that either no shampooing or barely shampooing was the only significant thing I could see in their reggies. They weren't even using really expensive products.

I had been doing this as well, and I too noticed a difference. I cannot believe how thick my hair has gotten (although I do think it could be even thicker if it wasn't for all this post partum shedding. A garlic treatment has slowed it down significantly). The only shampoo that has sulfate in it is creamy aloe by ORS which i use to clarify.

Hope this helps someone. :)

By the way - I do agree that sulfate-free shampoos used only for clarifying help to maintain the integrity of your hair, which contributes to an improved texture. Even if your natural curl pattern is more enhanced because your strand isn't stripped...it seems that would make it "fuller". Legit full. :)

exoticmommie

I don't think it can work either. I've been using sulfate free shampoos for atleast 1yr now. I've had fine hair all my life and it's still fine. I cut the relaxed hair off almost 1yr ago and the same fine hair is still growing out of my scalp.

I really wish it were true cause I'd love to have fuller hair. :sad:

If my hair was damaged and that caused thinning, then yes it's possible to get fuller hair again.

What I'm saying is if you have naturally thin/fine hair there is no product that will give you thick/full hair.

Have you tried vitamins and or supplements? I also believe a lot of the problems have to do with the fact, that no matter how healthy one tries to eat, we will never get all the nutrients that we need. With the foods that are afforded to us, even at health food stores. They still don't have everything we need.

Removing sulfates does get rid of the problem for people, with as you put it, the potential for fuller hair. But I do hope and believe that for the others that don't have the potential maybe going the extra mile will help. I really want to help my mom and my friends. I really believe that even though their hair won't be as thick as the thickest of heads it can be thicker. But yet it would be a waste of time and bother for me to tell them to take supplements if that doesn't work either. So let me know if you do that as well. And it still doesn't work.

Andrew Lessmans Hair Skin & Nails is the Bomb.

His carnislim for weight loss is great as well. I used it so I can speak first hand.

Last edited:

ceebee3

Have you tried vitamins and or supplements? I also believe a lot of the problems have to do with the fact, that no matter how healthy one tries to eat, we will never get all the nutrients that we need. With the foods that are afforded to us, even at health food stores. They still don't have everything we need.

Removing sulfates does get rid of the problem for people, with as you put it, the potential for fuller hair. But I do hope and believe that for the others that don't have the potential maybe going the extra mile will help. I really want to help my mom and my friends. I really believe that even though their hair won't be as thick as the thickest of heads it can be thicker. But yet it would be a waste of time and bother for me to tell them to take supplements if that doesn't work either. So let me know if you do that as well. And it still doesn't work.

I take a multivitamin when I can remember but I don't eat as healthy as I should.

I'm not saying that does not work though and I think it's great that you are trying to help.

Supplements and vitamins will work for overall health but it won't change the way your hair grows if your hair was never that way to begin with.

My hair was not damaged and I was natural for most of my life but I just never had thick hair. I had a lot of hair before relaxing but it was not thick.

exoticmommie

I take a multivitamin when I can remember but I don't eat as healthy as I should.

I'm not saying that does not work though and I think it's great that you are trying to help.

Supplements and vitamins will work for overall health but it won't change the way your hair grows if your hair was never that way to begin with.

My hair was not damaged and I was natural for most of my life but I just never had thick hair. I had a lot of hair before relaxing but it was not thick.

Go ahead and try the vitamins then. I really believe that it helps. In my nails alone I can see a change. And I have some of the weakest nails ever. So if my nails are made from the same thing as my hair. Why won't it help the hair as well. I am gonna buy the pills and just send them to my mom for her to use, because I know she will never order on her own.

LongCurlz

In my experience me stopping relaxing, DC 2x per week, moisturizing every other day, I shampoo once every 10 days, I use all natural products, and most important leaving your hair alone I wear a half wig on a regular basis

ceebee3

You are really persistent! I like that.:grin:

I will try the hair, skin, and nail vitamins, but I really don't see it doing anything for my hair.

I used them before and I did notice a difference in my nails. You may be on to something.

exoticmommie

You are really persistent! I like that.:grin:

I will try the hair, skin, and nail vitamins, but I really don't see it doing anything for my hair.

I used them before and I did notice a difference in my nails. You may be on to something.

Thanks! :grin: I hope it helps you and my mother. It helped me. :yep:

What exactly is clarifying? I'm new here and can't find a list of terms. Thanks so much.

A clarifying shampoo is a shampoo that removes all build up on your hair. It helps you to start brand new. Because too much build up can cause moisture to not be able to penetrate your hair. But it should not be done a lot, only when needed. If you have hard water like I do. You should get a clarifier/chelator. This will help to remove all the hard minerals. And a filter is also a must with hard water.

Aggie

Exoticmommie, I do think that since I have eliminated using sulfate-laden poos on a regular basis has helped to restore a lot of my lost hair as a result of using sulfate poos. My hair actually looks healthier and does not lack lustre anymore, that's for sure.

I don't use shampoos that often anymore either and when I do, it's almost always heavily diluted now, sometimes adding natural oils to them to reduce any harsh effects they may have on my hair.

I have mostly natural/organic poos now that I use and my hair thanks me for it. I don't have all the split ends I used to have either. We all know that split ends can make the hair look really unhealthy and eventually thin out. There are other hair practices like no heat for months and air drying that have been very helpful too.