Thinking about starting over plus pressing results and disaster

BeautifulNameX

ETA: I ended up just getting my hair cut the next day. . .

My pressing results are still up (first two pictures), the only reason why I posted that was so people can see the results Keracare silk n seal got me with my 4B. (Used the serum on wet before I blow dried and the liquid before flat ironing my blow dried hair) Thats all I used too. (only posed this because I rarely use heat and I know a lot of people are looking at different products to get good pressing results and I really liked my with Silk n Seal didnt wanna praise the product with out the proof)

Disaster (third picture) was that my blow dryer broke like halfway through. I didnt even try to get it as straight (too much heat plus I was thinking about gettining it cut the next day anyway.) and I left this picture up so u can kinda (you really cant even tell for real) kinda see how I unevenly trimmed to give you an opinion of I should have got it fixed or not.

original post.

Ok, my hair was getting on my nerves I dont know what was going on, It kept breaking off no matter what I did I havent used heat. . I baggie alot always. I dont know. plus I had nasty tree looking splits and mid strand holes yuck. So I cut it. I just cut what I felt needed it I took each cornrow out and just cut. . . some parts I cut as much as 4 inches so now its an un even hot mess all over. even in a fro. . . so tomorrow Im getting it cut :( I dont know how (Ima just tell them I meesed it up and to cut it so when It grows out it wouldnt look a mess.

Or should I just grow it out and cut it later? What do you think caused it I got it flatironed and not blow dried in Jan. . I took swimming lessons for six weeks twice a week in april and march (eta March not may) I DC every time though. . . I just got out ok kinky twists. . . Maybe its from airdrying all the time. l but isnt that supposed to be the best for long hair growth?

but on the bright side I been trying to come up with a permeant reggie anyways i found my staples for if I want to use heat to press. Its was and DC then put in sections spray with nexxus split end mend heat protex then apply split end mend leave in and Keracare Silk n seal and blow dry in sectoins. . . My hair was so soft and getting straight it felt lit it had a protection on every strand. . . .

until the disaster my Andis 1875 blow dryer with the long comb broke like fell apart. . . so I used this conair thing to proceed. . . it wasnt was good :( Ladies Im in need of good blow dryer (thats the least of my worries though) anyway I sprayed liquid silk n seal through out and flat ironer with my FHI and it was sooo silky and pretty (on the parts that actually got dry) my roots were puffy but the rest got straight on the other parts. I only flat Ironed it so I can get it cut tomorrow.

SHAMPOO/DC Mizani Thermasmooth
LeaveIn Nexxus Splitend Mend
HeatProtecter Nexxus Split end mend Heat protex
Serum Silk n Seal
SHINE Silk n Seal liquid
Flatiron FHI
Blowdryer a Cheap ol Andis that I loved (R.I.P)lol and some piece of crap by conairo

But yea I dont know why I kept getting that breakage and having all those splits. . . This Plus my always quick to do something (like randomly cut my hair) is setting me back. . . Anyway what should I do about my jacked up cut Get it professionally cut?

ETA u really cant tell from my pics how messed up I cut it its like way shorter though
Part of me wants to relax but noooo I like my natural but not my splits and breakage. . .

Sorry I talk to much

the first two r my keracare results. the other side is straight but not as straight because my dryer broke. its soft though. and i want yall to see how in even I cut it. I was sl back in Jan when i got it flat ironed

Attachments

• Photo on 2012-06-12 at 00.38 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2012-06-12 at 00.38 #2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 286
  • Photo on 2012-06-12 at 00.39.jpg
    Photo on 2012-06-12 at 00.39.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Photo on 2012-06-12 at 00.40 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2012-06-12 at 00.40 #2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
:imsorry:...That really stinks...

I think you'll feel better getting a nice fresh cut to get rid of the damaged, broken hair. Then you can nurse your hair back to health as you grow it out again.

That's what I would do if it were me.

Good luck, hun...

Wondering about the swimming thing. Others have had to strip out the chlorine, not just DC. That could've destroyed your hair, but an avid swimmer would have to chime in. I avoid chlorine (excess) like the plague lol because I don't want to have to figure out or deal with the repercussions.

Wondering about the swimming thing. Others have had to strip out the chlorine, not just DC. That could've destroyed your hair, but an avid swimmer would have to chime in. I avoid chlorine (excess) like the plague lol because I don't want to have to figure out or deal with the repercussions.

IDK if chlorine could cause splits though...especially not so soon afterward. Cheleting (sp?) shampoo is supposed to get rid of chlorine or vitamin C for those who don't use shampoo.

I cut all the bad hair out. I just messed it up I have like two inch pices next to 7 inch pieces like all over a mess. my fro dosent even sit right.. it was leaning (in my evelyn voice)

the swiming I thought I was doing good I conditioned before getting in used ion swimmer poo after plus dc I used giovani direct leave in and dc with giovani sas and used she's moisture deep before

my typical reggie was eluence mb poo and con and nexxus emergency, humetcres and pro mend shampoo. I use kinky curly knot today I use a denman to detangle. add oil air dry in plats and then corn row and wear a wig. or sometimes just left the plats for like three four days and wear a wig or scarff. ill baggy as much as I remember with kalawentez black and bossie moisturizer which reminds u of an activator and she's moisture milk some times coconut oil. Im mad I went so long no heat and protective style and I still got splits and breakage.

and i can't blame no one but my self I cut every part different thinking Ooo I'm natural it will shrink up anyway. #wrong

Last edited:
I think you need to clarify your hair dc and if you can put it in a ponytail until it grows out a little. I think you need to give it a protein treatment for strength and get some moisturizing dc for now on and leave the rest of your products alone that say mending and repairing and fixing anything. clarify every 4 weeks and dc every week and if you swim you need to clarify and dc. but if you are doing it a lot just use a gentle shampoo and dc.

I think after you clarify and protein and moisturizing dc you will feel a great difference in your hair and if you can live with it for a little while let it grow out.

Your hair might not like all of the water. I swim alot...and I used to wash alot, had to cut back on washing and then I began to retain length better. Also you may need to get a strong protein treatment in since you are using so much moisture frequently (water from the pool, frequent conditioning, etc.)...your hair eventually weighs down and breaks from the moisture, if that makes sense.

I used to get the splits and knots too until I figured out my hair didn't like too much water...I would do alot of wash and gos and wet bunning, my hair hated it.

Once I cut back on that, got a good protein program and cut back on washing and water, my hair started to prosper.

Since you are taking swimming lessons, I suggest continuing what you are doing with that....wet and apply conditioner to hair before swimming and after swimming use your poo BUT, you may want to switch up between conditioner one some days and a mild protein reconstructor on other days, after the wash.

Invest in a heavy protein like aphogee or something of that nature to use once every 6 weeks or so until you notice the breakage lessens, then you won't need it as often.

But thats what it sounds like to me, too much moisture. You may want to make sure your porosity is in check too, there are poos, conditioners and leave ins for this.

I agree with Vanity1 -- it may be too much moisture. Hair can become very damaged from a process called hygral fatigue, in which moisture swells and contracts the hair shaft. This can severely weaken the hair. Studies have shown that coconut oil (and other monounsaturated oils) can help to prevent this kind of damage.

I also think you should start fresh with a cute cut. Your hair will grow back before you know it. I cut off damage and unevenness back 6 months ago, and my hair has grown back (but it looks much nicer and healthier).

Last edited:
I clairfy regularly, (right after swiming I got my kinky twist like two weeks later) but the above has been my reggie before swimming and like for the past year (had a set back last year in February I cut my hair very short like two in and 4in and it got sl by Jan2012)

I took my twist out last Tuesday detangled with eluence mb con then sat with emengercy on my hair before I clairified then after i clairified I use eluence mb poo and con and sat under the dryer rinsed used a very little mb ad my leave in and cornrowed wet put on my baggie and woke up and put on a wig baggied every night until Friday. Friday I used hair one cornrowed tied it in a scarf. the next day I work my wig baggied at night. Sunday night I work my baggie with the kalawentez activator moisture what ever It's called and she's moisture milk and coconut oil. woke up wore my scarf all day to school. I was like touching the cornrows i kept feeling ssk and it was breaking very easy with the tree branch splits on the broken pieces. my hair shouldna been so dry on the ends because of all that baggging. then I'm sitting in my car in the parking lot abt to go home i take the cornrows out and cut like one inch sections where I feel the dry nasty ends. I cut as much as like four inches plus and as little as one or two inches on some. I came home and washed and flat ironed it only becaue I was trying to get it professionally cut tomorrow

thanks vanity and lamosca. I'm not swiming anymore. I never new that your hair could break from moisture and wet styling. I'm so stressed out. I wasted a year doing all that stuff thinking I was doing something. What styles do you ladies wear now that u found out about the moisture damage? now that u told me that I'm kinda toying with the idea of heat styling (lightly) and wearing a bun it fits an a bun. but I don't want to get split ends from wearing the heat. I'm trying to grow it first I always wear wigs trying to protect. I need help. I was gone get it cut just to grow it out wearing wigs and baggies.

Last edited:
thanks vanity and lamosca. I'm not swiming anymore. I never new that your hair could break from moisture and wet styling. I'm so stressed out. I wasted a year doing all that stuff thinking I was doing something. What styles do you ladies wear now that u found out about the moisture damage? now that u told me that I'm kinda toying with the idea of heat styling (lightly) and wearing a bun it fits an a bun. but I don't want to get split ends from wearing the heat. I'm trying to grow it first I always wear wigs trying to protect. I need help. I was gone get it cut just to grow it out wearing wigs and baggies.

I roller set my hair and let it air dry. From there, I wear it down or up in a bun. Also, I treat my hair with coconut oil before I shampoo or swim to prevent hygral fatigue.

I clairfy regularly, (right after swiming I got my kinky twist like two weeks later) but the above has been my reggie before swimming and like for the past year (had a set back last year in February I cut my hair very short like two in and 4in and it got sl by Jan2012)

I took my twist out last Tuesday detangled with eluence mb con then sat with emengercy on my hair before I clairified then after i clairified I use eluence mb poo and con and sat under the dryer rinsed used a very little mb ad my leave in and cornrowed wet put on my baggie and woke up and put on a wig baggied every night until Friday. Friday I used hair one cornrowed tied it in a scarf. the next day I work my wig baggied at night. Sunday night I work my baggie with the kalawentez activator moisture what ever It's called and she's moisture milk and coconut oil. woke up wore my scarf all day to school. I was like touching the cornrows i kept feeling ssk and it was breaking very easy with the tree branch splits on the broken pieces. my hair shouldna been so dry on the ends because of all that baggging. then I'm sitting in my car in the parking lot abt to go home i take the cornrows out and cut like one inch sections where I feel the dry nasty ends. I cut as much as like four inches plus and as little as one or two inches on some. I came home and washed and flat ironed it only becaue I was trying to get it professionally cut tomorrow

Just from my own personal experience, my hair really doesn't like baggying. It was too much moisture for my hair, and I got little broken pieces everywhere as a result. But if I were you, I'd get it professionally cut, and then maybe do a dusting every 8-12 weeks to keep the ends in check. No more random cutting for you!

:( I get it cut all even its like lessbthan an inch now. So i still want growth what can I do so i won't have the same issues I was. haaving before. the only reason I went natural.was so.it would grow faster which it.did but I keep having to bc every year at this rate I.will never be Bsl. so what can i do now? please help i feel sooo bald now.

:( I get it cut all even its like lessbthan an inch now. So i still want growth what can I do so i won't have the same issues I was. haaving before. the only reason I went natural.was so.it would grow faster which it.did but I keep having to bc every year at this rate I.will never be Bsl. so what can i do now? please help i feel sooo bald now.

Like the other ladies said, your hair could have been over-moisturized from all the baggying. Baggying can keep the hair wet 24/7- which is not good for the hair. Your shampoos are mostly protein shampoos so maybe find something more balancing. Those could cause hardness/stiffness that you are overcompensating for... Don't do anything just to do it. Your products and routine should depend entirely on how your hair feels at the moment. You can shampoo/DC weekly, but chose the products depending on the feel that day. Don't baggy unless you need to.

It will grow back, just hang in there. You might want to work on your outlook and how you feel about natural hair as well. If you do anything just for growth, you won't really enjoy or appreciate it.

I really need some help. I like all the products I use for washing and stuff I need some help in the maintenance then because I dont want to have to BC again, this is my third time. My main goal is healthy BSL hair. Last year when I BC it grew to Shoulder Length in almost a year (Jan).

Do you think maybe stop wet braiding it and leaving it. You think after I DC I should just air dry in my plats make sure I take them out when their dry and just cornrow it for like a once or twice a week. Instead of sometimes leaving the same wet braids in for like days. Im already cutting baggying. I just need help.

Attachments

• Photo on 2012-06-12 at 14.39 #3.jpg
    Photo on 2012-06-12 at 14.39 #3.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Photo on 2012-06-12 at 14.39 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2012-06-12 at 14.39 #2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
No usually after I wash it I just braid it when its wet and go for days it, instead of taking them out and rebraiding them once their dry. Im thinking doing that also might have contributed to the splits and ssks.

Im trying to come up with a new reggie so I wont have to BC again and can grow my hair out happily ever after.

No usually after I wash it I just braid it when its wet and go for days it, instead of taking them out and rebraiding them once their dry. Im thinking doing that also might have contributed to the splits and ssks.

Im trying to come up with a new reggie so I wont have to BC again and can grow my hair out happily ever after.

I don't think that makes a difference. As long as hair is not perpetually wet, having braids shouldn't cause splits. Check out the Struggling with Natural Hair thread to work out a new reggie. Also look at the Come Back thread for inspiration. (still looking for this link, I'll post when I find it.)

ETA: it's called the Comeback Challenge: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=591237&highlight=set+back+recover

Ok so braiding it wet and leaving it vs re braiding it once is dry should make a difference? Im trying to get personal help I just chopped all my hair off. or should I just cut out the wigs and hiding my hair all together?

I'm heated this lady cut my hair SOOOO short. and its more uneven than I did. atleast when i cut it I could still bun and braid. I shoulda just went with my original idea grow my hair back and even it up as I go.... o well lesson learned.....

SOOOO what,can I do with it? how can i make this fade grow...its shorter den when i first bc. and the very front middle is longer so my wigs look frompy

I'm heated this lady cut my hair SOOOO short. and its more uneven than I did. atleast when i cut it I could still bun and braid. I shoulda just went with my original idea grow my hair back and even it up as I go.... o well lesson learned.....

SOOOO what,can I do with it? how can i make this fade grow...its shorter den when i first bc. and the very front middle is longer so my wigs look frompy

You'll be aight:grin:. the front middle is supose to be longer so she must have cut it right.

Just let it grow. Moisturize!

First of all ... its really hard (for me at least) to understand your posts... sooo many thoughts with no punctuation.

anyhooo,

Do you intend to keep pressing/straightening your hair ? If so, thats a cute style which should grow out without much issue ... and you can still 2 strand twist it and do twist outs for when your hair is curly.

Apart from that, you just need to take your time and find out what products and processes are beneficial to your hair so that you can reduce the risk of set backs and get on the grow.

Op you should definately join us in the Struggling With your Natural Hair thread. Its really helpful.

Also, are your strands fine? Fine hair seems to have these troubles and be more tempermental than thick strands...or so I've discovered on lhcf posts.

Back