Those will Pre-teens. Whats your regime??? HELP

CHANNYY

Hello ladies,

I have a almost 12yr old who's at the stage in her life where she wants to wear her hair down all the time.( UGH) The things is that I can tell her ends are really dry and brittle and split. When I flat iron her hair with my ceramic flat irons. It looks very nice but the ends look split. I have started to moisturize the ends and seal!! I always tie her hair up with a satin scarf but she sleeps it off most of the nights.

My question for you ladies with pre-teens. What is your childs hair regime? What styles do you do? She is natural with 4B type hair. My childs hair is extremely dry and brittle. When I blow dry it once a week I can see the hair breaking off as I'm drying it. She is almost APL but shorter in some areas? If I was to cut off all the dry ends she may go to NL or SL.

Because she wants to wear it down all the time I flat iron her hair once a week. However, I do wash and DC once a week. I have given her protein treatments in hopes to stop the breakage. Please share your childs regime with me and any tips will help. May I add her hair is really dry..lol After a wash it is very hard to detangle.

ChristmasCarol

My 3 DDS all love their long hair - they believe in the 'magic' of protective styling, so they don't mind wearing buns 90% of the time. Actually, they had no choice :lol: They just co-wash and bun 1-3x/wk. They wear it straight once every 2-3 months, just to break up the monotony and do a length check.

If your DD isn't worried about length, just be sure to keep her hair well-moisturized on a nightly basis. Get her a satin pillowcase, too.

If she wants to grow it out, explain to her the benefits of protective styling.
Summer break would be a good time to start, IMO. By the time school resumes in the fall, she'll have a small arsenal of PS.

ETA: Unfortunately, your DD's hair may be too fragile and dry to withstand weekly heat - no matter how much you DC and moisturize. Maybe you could try air drying in plaits before flat ironing. At least you'd avoid some of the heat and manipulation.

Good luck, OP!

Last edited: