To bun or not to bun?

InJesusName

OK...

I am thinking about starting my own, personal 6 month challenge tomorrow with bunning/protective styling for the rest of the year (until Christmas).

My issue is...I have really thin edges and it does not look good to pull my hair back. I am also unsure of whether pulling my hair back will make the problem worse.

Should I bun or keep roller setting for a while until my edges grow back out (IF they will grow back out...)?

Lotus

It's really hard to say, but...

If you can bun w/low manipulation and smooth w/o stressin' your edges I think overall a bun w/be fine. To change up the stress... try to bun combing the front back from different angles... not just straight back. HTH!

*Frisky*

InJesusName said:
OK...

I am thinking about starting my own, personal 6 month challenge tomorrow with bunning/protective styling for the rest of the year (until Christmas).

My issue is...I have really thin edges and it does not look good to pull my hair back. I am also unsure of whether pulling my hair back will make the problem worse.

Should I bun or keep roller setting for a while until my edges grow back out (IF they will grow back out...)?

Are you applying any topical treatment to your edges?

If you bun you have to make sure to use very low manipulation. When you rollerset are you leaving your hair down or pinning it up in some type of clip? Protecting your ends and making sure your hair is touching your clothing is important.

HoneyDew

marie170 said:
Are you applying any topical treatment to your edges?

If you bun you have to make sure to use very low manipulation. When you rollerset are you leaving your hair down or pinning it up in some type of clip? Protecting your ends and making sure your hair is touching your clothing is important.

OT:
Marie CONGRATS!! I did not realize your big day was already here!!! :D

You look beautiful!

FAMUDva

Girl, I can't say if you should or not. I used to bun religously but stopped after my hair reached near APL. I was so over HAVING to bun. Now I just do it for styling purposes or when I feel like it. My edges stayed fairly well, but I do feel like my edges around my head are not as long and as thick as they could be due to ALWAYS pulling my hair back.

Now, I just style my hair how I feel like it. I still don't use heat on a regular basis (maybe every 2 weeks and only at the salon). I rely on roller sets, straight wraps, blow-outs, pony tails, and buns when the spirit or opportunity hits me. When I was bunning because I felt I had to, I felt like a slave to my hair. Now, I feel like my thickness is finally returning and I'm living my life normally while my hair is STILL growing nicely :)

But, if you try it and like it for you, then go for it!

turnergirl

I think you should be fine as long as you do not continue to pull your hair back at the same angle everyday. Goodluck with whatever you decide.