PAGING ALL LADIES ON THE BUN CHALLENGE.........

MoezThunder

Is it possible that a person with fine hair and thin sides could be doing more damage than good by daily pulling hair back in a bun?, whether loose or tight? I would love to continue my protective bun, but I feel like I'm working against myself and trying to grow my sides. HELP!!!

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Um,to a certain extent yeah.Supergirl advised to move the bun position around a lot. I only wear buns 3 days out of the week and then I braid my hair and leave it like that for 2 days then unravel them to give my hair a break. I too have thin sides. Something that I have recently stopped doing was brushing my hair line or even combing it when putting it in a bun,eventhough I use a boar bristle brush. What I started doing is applying a small amount of some hair style product for my flyaways and using a satin scarf to tie it down before I leave my house-works like a charm.

Lengthwanted

I agree that you may be doing more damage. We would need more details as to how you are creating the bun.

When I do my buns, I will either have a part on the side, in the middle or no part. I will either wear a low low bun, a side bun or a middle bun. I also will twist my hair like I'm about to do a bun and make an figure eight and put a banana clip on it making sure my ends are tucked in. I also make sure to move my buns around and I do not use a brush at all ever. I use pomanade and serum on the edges along with a fine tooth comb from time to time then the silk scarf technique to make it smooth. When I am around the 8 week post touch up I try not to use the fine tooth comb as much and this has allowed me to stretch out my relaxer to 16 weeks and gain mega growth as well as retain my length since my ends are always protected.

Tracy

I turned my "bun challenge" into a simple updo challenge. I just get my hair into a protective style however I can - even that means just taking a claw clip and VERY loosely (mine looks like it's about to fall out most of the time) pull it into a twist. I've also been wearing a braid. Trying to get my hair into some of the elaborate, exquisite, polished buns I've seen in some of these ladies albums causes stress on my hair. My hair is also fine and on the thinner side.

Vanessa22

I had some really bad thinning areas myself due to tight braiding and harsh chemical appliances, but these have helped me gain a lot of my hair back:
The uplifting Shampoo by Organic Root Stimulator (I use this about once or twice a week)and the Scalp Scrub by them too, if you have time.
Good Luck!

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
I personally don't redo my bun everyday. I do it and keep it in for days until I wash. I spray it with distilled water and Hot six spray at night and tie it down with a silk scarf.

honeycomb719

[ QUOTE ]
MoezThunder said:
Is it possible that a person with fine hair and thin sides could be doing more damage than good by daily pulling hair back in a bun?, whether loose or tight? I would love to continue my protective bun, but I feel like I'm working against myself and trying to grow my sides. HELP!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

EXCELLENT question MoezThunder,
I've been thinkin about swearing off using a brush for this up comong year because my side are NOT making the progess I had hope for this past year. I've been wearing my hair in a bun for close to a year now, and I think my thin fragile ends can't witstand all the brushing I do to it trying to get the edges smooth. I'm just scared I will look a HOT MESS not laying my side with a brush

NGC

I am natural and I have kind of changed mine to an "updo" challenge as well. I wash and detangle my hair and then braid it in six to eight big braids. I then pull (gently) the braids back into a scrunchie and loosen the ends. I then tuck them into a bun.

It seems as though the braids take some of the tension off.