to does who grew their hair w/sew-in weaves or cornrows

NYRICAN1

I have not had a relaxer since December 21,2004 I am not transitioning but since the 8th week I have been wearing cornrows,a sew in weave or a combination of both. what has been the experience of those who have done this? When I have removed the braids I had no problems but I had a little issue with the sew in because I think I left it in to long so there was lots of matting but I still gained a good amount of length. I figured since I wasnt going to have my hair out anyway why relax. Am I right in thinking this way? I was trying to hold out until September to relax. thx in advance for any replies.

Ashee

I think the most important thing is that you still have to maintain your actual hair while it's in protective styles.... Try to remove the sew-in every month or 6 weeks as to wash/CO Wash or moisturize your hair. You still need to comb through (finger or with actual comb) your own hair to remove all shedding hair & developing tangles/matting.
This will save your own hair in the long run & you won't be faced with a disaster when removing the weave... This should also help you from having to relax when you don't want to.:grin:
I'm entering my 15th week post-relaxer & I took out my twists (from almost 2 months) last night & am keeping it moist while in a bun.
-HTH
:look:

Last edited:

carmend

I have learned via trial/error that it is best for my hair to go at least 6 months w/o relaxer while I am wearing braids/weave. I currently have braids and about to change to a sew in soon. I havent relaxed since late Feb and probably shouldnt have done one then. I am planning to go at least until Sept before I relax again. Whenever I change to the weave Im gonna relax the "leave out" hair but that is it. The rest of it is gonna stay natural for as long as possible. Also, If u are concerned about ur hair matting then try and reinforce ur cornrows w/thread before u sew on the weave. The extra layer of thread around the cornrow helps keep it from unraveling and therefore matting. I am able to keep my weaves in for at least 8 weeks by doing this. Once I kept it in for 10 weeks and Ive never had a matting problem....

Godsway

Hi everyone, I am a new member to the forum and I am trying to figure out how to care for my new sew-in weave. Do they really help to grow your hair? How should I wash it and what are some good products to use for moisturizing your scalp underneath the hair?

Godsway

Sew-in weaves

Hi, :) :) I 'm new on the forum and I was wondering does a Sew-in weave really help your hair grow or damage it? :eek: I've heard horror stories about it thinning and damaging your hair. Some say it's all about how you care for your real hair when wearing one. How should you care for your hair underneath?

Ms Red

I was the weavemaster in college and my hair did grow a lot in short periods of time. I would take out my sew-in and have a bush. The problem was that (as Ashee stated) I was not taking care of my hair underneath. Sure, the weaves grew my hair, but the lack of proper care of my own hair resulted in damage and split ends.

I haven't worn a weave in about 5 months now so I am recovering ;) If you do this, remember to wash/condition/deep condition (and protein treat, as necessary) your own hair once a month. make sure your hair (the braids) are always moisturized. I found it difficult to ensure my hair was moisturized enough without it getting matted.

HTH & Good luck! :)

HairQueen

cupcake said:
I was the weavemaster in college and my hair did grow a lot in short periods of time. I would take out my sew-in and have a bush. The problem was that (as Ashee stated) I was not taking care of my hair underneath. Sure, the weaves grew my hair, but the lack of proper care of my own hair resulted in damage and split ends.

I haven't worn a weave in about 5 months now so I am recovering ;) If you do this, remember to wash/condition/deep condition (and protein treat, as necessary) your own hair once a month. make sure your hair (the braids) are always moisturized. I found it difficult to ensure my hair was moisturized enough without it getting matted.

HTH & Good luck! :)

I agree if you wear a weave but take no care of it underneath you are just defeating the whole object, because sure your hair is growing at one end but is breaking even faster at the other. I remember once about 5 years ago I had a weave, when I took it out I was like :eek: the whole of the left had side of my hair had literally disappeared, and what was left of it was chewed up and brittle. I find it difficult to take care of my hair underneath a full weave but much easier with a set of cornrows in the front and two rows of weave in the back - that way I could actually get to my hair to condition/moisturise it etc. Since doing that my hair has flouished so much that I don't need to wear the two rows of weave in the middle anymore because its strong enought/long enough to join the rest of my hair now.

carmend

My hair has grown best while wearing sew in weaves. You do have to take care of ur hair underneath but IMO there is not a whole lot to it. I just wash/cond about once a week. And I use a applicator bottle to apply oil to my hair/scalp daily. I think this is the key. Also make sure the braids are not too tight. I have gotten very good results as far as growth is concern w/sew in weaves....

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
carmend said:
My hair has grown best while wearing sew in weaves. You do have to take care of ur hair underneath but IMO there is not a whole lot to it. I just wash/cond about once a week. And I use a applicator bottle to apply oil to my hair/scalp daily. I think this is the key. Also make sure the braids are not too tight. I have gotten very good results as far as growth is concern w/sew in weaves....
did u wash and condition while the weave was still in your hair??????

carmend

Yes! I think when u have a weave the best/easiest is to wash everything (weave and ur hair) while in the shower. This will allow u to be able to lift up or seperate the weave tracks so that water and poo/cond can get down to ur hair/scalp. Sometimes I will also use an applicator bottle and fill it with water poo/cond and squirt it down into the hard to reach spots if necessary. I also wash w/a clarifying poo about once a month. I do this more so to help remove build up off the weave hair.

Poohbear said:
did u wash and condition while the weave was still in your hair??????