Too old to have long hair?

LakinkyFemme

I notice most folks here are going for bra-strap length or longer.

Anyone over 35 with long hair? What do you think about the notion that older women with long hair look like hags?

Do you plan on cutting as you get older?

lakinkyfemme

Trinity1

I think whether or not you look older with longer hair as you age is up to how well you age and what your face looks like. I am 34 but people often mistake me for 24-27. I have a very youthful appearance and look younger than most people my age and younger so I dont concern myself with having longer hair and looking old. I have 4 inches to go to get to bra strap and plan on going longer if my hair will continue to do its thing. I used to live in L.A where most people tend to be really trendy at any age and I can tell I've seen some 50 year old women sporting long healthy hair and they look georgous!!!!!! In my opinion if you have a nice youthful face you can definitely pull off having longer hair at any age.

Tee Tee

londongirl3

I would say old women with strange thin long hair look like hags

However, I don't think that label applies

1. To healthy thick long hair
2. People under 60 (35 is too young lkfemme!!!)

As long as the hair is healthy, I don't see a problem with length at any point in life. I think people usually cut hair short so that there is less length to dye and because with age comes thinning which shows when you have long hair

Nina_deF

I can't stand women 50+ that have long, gray, teased, thin hair. They look like
!
Same goes with younger women with long, fried hair. Around here many white people bleach their hair for years and can end up with long frizzy and frazzled ends that make afros look smooth and silky!
But as long as the hair is healthy and well taken care of age doesn't matter.

Robin41

I love seeing older women with healthy, long, silvery hair. I think it's beautiful, especially when it's curled or waved or in one long braid. I'm almost 42 and plan to become one of those women real soon.

stevie511

I recently met my birth mother (in her 60s) and she has silver hair that is a little past shoulder length. It is beautiful! It's thick and full of bouncin' and behavin' curls. If the hair is healthy, it's happenin'!

Peachtree

Well, I'm not 35 yet.... I'll be 31 in a mth...
. A lot of people think that I'm still in my 20's (mid)
. My favorite hairstyle gives me a youthful appearance (a long slim side bang draped across the side of my face, most of the hair pulled into a high pony tail with a pretty clip, & the back hanging down my back). Quick & pretty
. (I love to wear my braid / twist outs in this style).

As long as my hair remains thick (full), managable & healthy, then I'll keep my waist length...when I get there

sweetcocoa

I'm 48 and I think...no I know... I look better with long hair. I have about 4 more inches to bra srtap and then I'm going back(at least I think so at the moment) to shoulder length...And that's only because I like my hair in a flip.

zanna

I am not over 35, but my mom is over 55 and has natural waist-lenght salt and pepper hair and very healhy. I can't imagine her with short frizzy hair. My grand mother use to have tailbone lenght hair most of her life, then she cut her hair to bra-strap in her 60's. She had beautiful silver hair.

As far as I am concerned, I will always have long hair even when I reach 55 +.
Zanna

fletgee

Re: Mrs. Marie Cook

This post made me smile. Seeing as I may be the older woman of this board here is my advice.

I have never compromised or given into what others think. I enjoy being me. And in my status I have decided to be me with healthy, longer hair. My goal length is "when I am satisfied with the length". Currently I am 4" below shoulders and growing.

I remember there was a woman who lived across the street from us when I was growing up. She played the organ in the church next door on Sunday morning. Mrs. Cook. Mrs. Marie Cook. Sister could burn up an organ on Sunday morning. And I remember her beautiful hair. It was bra length, shimmering steel gray and white, and she wore a deep part on the right and it swooped down covering her left eye. She was striking, powerful, and awesome.

And when I grow up, I wanna be just like Mrs. Cook, striking, powerful, and awesome.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I am concerned, I will always have long hair even when I reach 55 +.

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O !

tekmommie

"Over 35 too old"...I have to say I do think that is a very funny statement
In my humble opinion you are only as old as you feel!

I am 39 (about 3-4 inches from top of bra strap) and always told I look like I am in my twenty's, I dress trendy and stylish and feel like I could pull off long hair for years to come (of course that is if I continue to keep it healthy). I feel as though most women can (with the right face shape) at any age if they keep their hair healthy. Most people wear their hair according to how they dress on a regular basis. So if a person dresses "old, matronly" or whatever you want to call it, AND their hair is long and straggly looking, this will make them appear older looking at ANY age.

My mom is 63, 5'10, 145 lbs and sports a hi-lighted shoulder length do...and I mean she rocks it! She also dresses very stylish and modern, though not trendy.

Oh one more thing some people do look better with short/long hair regardless as to the age.

Just my take on a good question

londongirl3

Sweet Cocoa you are 48!!!!!!

You are a beautiful woman anyway but for 48 you are stunning, I placed you at early to mid 30's.

I hope I look like you at 30, later on 48!!!

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]

You are a beautiful woman anyway but for 48 you are stunning, I placed you at early to mid 30's.

[/ QUOTE ]
Londongirl3....thanks for the compliment! You know I love hearing that... I never thought I would be the type to worry about looking old...of course until I reached 40 and then...whoa... Also we all know that 'sistahs' age gracefully... am I right?
Thanks again!

TwistNMx

Hello,
I don't know how old you are, but IMO I feel that women of all ages should be able to have long hair if they choose. I feel that what's important is how you wear it and if you wear it well

lala

Wow! I am 35+ and I don't usually let society's standards dictate how I wear my hair. My aunt who recently passed at age 80 had knee-length hair, so she obviously didn't conform either.

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, I was thinking the same thing. 48
You carry it very, very well. Rock on my sista!!

mocha105

In my church there are several older women with beautiful, healthy and LONG hair. I basically agree that az long az the hair is healthy, the length and age don't really matter!

helthynzs

I believe as long as the hair is well maintained and the wearer is comfortable with the length, age should not be a factor. I am 34 and most times people don't believe I am that old(thanks for the great genes mom)When I have my hair in a ponytail I really look young.I have had short hair cuts before and they made me look older in my opinion.(Although I loved them to death)

lunalight7

I will be 35 in a month and Im one of the few AA sistahs that doesnt look younger than her age. BUT...I try not to let others dictate what I want to do or what feel looks good, even though Ive always heard that as a woman ages she should cut her hair...the h** with that! When a woman is comfortable and at peace with herself, she looks beautiful to others...we are more than just hair length or body parts....a woman is a package...some people may look better with short or long hair regardless of age....Im probably gonna be a 50+ woman with some long blonde highlights and a hoochy mama hot pink outfit on.....let 'em talk.....

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
Me too Luna, call me...I'll meet ya at da club...UH OH I hear .50

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

ladies I'm right behind you...save me a spot on the floor...

pebbles

I don't think I'll have a problem having long hair when I'm old. If I have it, I won't mind it at all.

SherryLove

It's so funny I posted this same topic a while ago on "off topic discussions." I am 36 years of age and I look fine with long hair (almost waist length).......

SherryLove

tekmommie

Lunalight, SweetCocoa, and Ebonylocks... Y'all tryin to get this party started, huh???

LOL...you guys are funny!!!

Daughter

UK Blak
It's weird, when my hair was really short, people thought I was older (I was about 19 and people thought I was about 26, 26). Now I'm 27 with longer (shoulder length or so) hair, people think I'm younger.