Took these braids out..........

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
....and man I lost a lot of hair!! I thought it would never stop coming out. My hair is already fine and on the thin side....I don't have any to spare!

I had them in for 17 days. Is this normal? Man I need a hug.

http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/my-braids/

Miss.Que

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Whenever I take down braids I always feel like I am losing a ton of hair. But now I realize that the hair that is coming out is just hair that has naturally shedded. So it may look like a lot but that is because you are seeing 17 days worth of shedded hair. It is okay :)

JustKiya

17 days x 50 to 100 hairs a day = 850 to 1,700 hairs. And your hair is LONG, so it's going to LOOK like 1600 to 3000 hairs....

*hugs* It's normal!!! Just give yourself a nice deep conditioning, and roll on!

Nice & Wavy

Pokahontas said:
....and man I lost a lot of hair!! I thought it would never stop coming out. My hair is already fine and on the thin side....I don't have any to spare!

I had them in for 17 days. Is this normal? Man I need a hug.

http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/my-braids/

I'm sorry that happened to you, Pokahontas. I know you are very upset. Are you going to do a deep treatment? Let me know how it all turns out.

FlawedBeauty

perhaps its just all of the hair you would have naturally shed over the 17 days that didnt vcome out cuz u were in braids. maybe multiply how many strands they say you lose in a day by the 17 days and that may be the culprit. idk, just tryin to say something to make ya feel better :)

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
FlawedBeauty said:
perhaps its just all of the hair you would have naturally shed over the 17 days that didnt vcome out cuz u were in braids. maybe multiply how many strands they say you lose in a day by the 17 days and that may be the culprit. idk, just tryin to say something to make ya feel better :)
Yeah, I keep trying to convince myself of that. I'm just not used to seeing that much hair come out. It was awful but I stayed strong and didn't cry though....I was straight up gangsta wit it, hee hee. Thanks for the encouragement.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Nice & Wavy said:
I'm sorry that happened to you, Pokahontas. I know you are very upset. Are you going to do a deep treatment? Let me know how it all turns out.

Thanks sweetie. I'll let you know. I'm gonna do a protein treatment and then a dc. I love the braids but I don't think I'll be getting again for a loooong time.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Thanks ladies for the hugs and encouragement. I was about to give up and take a break from the boards (I was that upset) but I love you guys! I feel better already.

sareca

(((hug))) It probably wasn't as bad as it seems. I've been braiding my hair for years and years and I still get nervous when I see the takedown ball. :eek:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
sareca said:
(((hug))) It probably wasn't as bad as it seems. I've been braiding my hair for years and years and I still get nervous when I see the takedown ball. :eek:
Thanks girl. I know....I had several takedown balls :(. I thought that the braids would be gentle and less stressful but I felt like I ripped half my hair out. I pray that it was shed hair though. The hairs that I managed to look at did have bulbs on the end.

divinefavor

Sending hugs your way. Your hair is still very beautiful!

I agree I think it may be the accumulations of hairs from the 17 days of being braided. I have fine hair too and haven't had braids in about 5 years.

shunta

divinefavor said:
Sending hugs your way. Your hair is still very beautiful!

I agree I think it may be the accumulations of hairs from the 17 days of being braided. I have fine hair too and haven't had braids in about 5 years.
Yep, ITA. Dont sweat it too much, chica.:)

carameldiva

i'm cosigning with everyone else on this one. I think it was the normal hair that you would have lost over the course of 17 days. Just seeing it all at one time would be overwhelming. Make sure that you do those treatments and everything should be ok.

Qetesh

*hug, I’m sure it was mostly shedding and when you have long hair it will always seem like A LOT because you have shedding and each hair is long but its balled up so it can look massive.

I didn’t comb thro my hair for about 2 months and when I finally did .:eek: . I had an entire full SINK of hair that came out… I was scared also but when I did straighten out my hair it looks the same. So don’t worry too much about it I am sure its natural.

angelita842002

ITA with everyone its shed hair for more than two weeks. I know its scary ill cornrow just the front of my hair for a week and its like:eek: im gonna be bald when i take it down...LOL So just do your deep condition and it will be aight. You have beautiful hair. So dont worry:)

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
angelita842002 said:
ITA with everyone its shed hair for more than two weeks. I know its scary ill cornrow just the front of my hair for a week and its like:eek: im gonna be bald when i take it down...LOL So just do your deep condition and it will be aight. You have beautiful hair. So dont worry:)
Thank you for the complement and thanks to everyone who posted these kind words of encouragement. I love you guys and God bless all of you!