Tracee Ellis Ross's Hair Regime

Melaninme

Tracee Ellis Ross\'s Hair Regime

Hello All! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am unsure if this topic has been posted already. I did a search and found nothing, so I thought I would post this and see what you ladies think about Tracee Ellis Ross's hair routine.

BET.com
I wanted to get some feedback from members regarding her technique and the products she uses.

Based upon the feedback I get, I may try this, but I must say that the hair brush thing does frighten me a bit.

TIA,

Asha /images/graemlins/wink.gif

By the way, if this has been posted already, can someone please respond with the url for its thread? Again, BIG THANKS!!!!:)

Justice4alw

Re: Tracee Ellis Ross\'s Hair Regime

Hi, Asha! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I've seen this topic posted on a couple of the other hair boards, but I haven't see it here.

I think that she has a nice choice of products and while on first read it seems that she has an excessive number of steps to her regimen, on second glance I think that it may be a reasonable one since most of what she does is in the shower.

I, like you, though found the use of the brush over the top. The only time that I use a brush is to use a boar bristle to smooth my edges. I can't imagine using a brush like the one she describes to tear through my entire nappturally curly head. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

The products sound good. But that brush is no joke! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Whoa. My head hurts just looking it at. If I used that brush on my hair (wet or dry), my hair would be making those awful "pap pap pap" sounds! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
sassygirl125 said:
The products sound good. But that brush is no joke! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Whoa. My head hurts just looking it at. If I used that brush on my hair (wet or dry), my hair would be making those awful "pap pap pap" sounds! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif OMG. I wouldn't let that brush near my hair. /images/graemlins/naughty.gif

JazzAngel

Asha, I read it and was wondering why she needed to do as much as she does. The brush part can be avoided and finger combing might be best.

I'm sure if you used your favorite gel on soaking wet hair and allowed to air dry or use a diffuser to help stretch out the curls you may yield similar results.

Curly hair is quite difficult to care, she probabily has a routie that she "thinks" is necessary.

Jade21

OMG. I wouldn't let that brush near my hair

[/ QUOTE ]

Allandra, I'm still trembling!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with what Tracy said herself: "it's a friggin' nightmare." She must be exhausted after being in the shower...gee! And, I know how most of us are really wedded to certain products, but that is an expensive bunch overall.

~Jade~

VALLEYGIRL

Hi Asha
Thanks for posting this.

Like everyone else said using the brush is crazy.

I think she does as much as she does b/c she has a lot of hair and it's long too (at least shoulder length I think)
But like Justice4alw said at first glace it may seem like a lot but when you read it over she does most of it in the shower.

I think she is doing most of this stuff to detangle and to make sure that the products distribute all through her hair.
I think (hope) that is the reason for all the sectioning, 6 different sections and applying different stuff to the top portion, another product to the bottom portion etc....

Lita

Her regimen seems ok but,that brush a NO. NO. Happy Hair Growing! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Melaninme

Thank you ladies so much for responding and for your insite and advice.

Asha /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ngaa

i'm gessin that her hair is mostly 4a type rite? do u guys know of a product i can use on my 4b hair to get them ringlets that she has?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif i'd love to be able to get them ringlets or waves without the braids out /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

MissJ

I don't think her hair is a 4 anything. It has to be at least a 3 something if not a 2. Her dad is white after all. White people brush their hair all the time, so I don't think the brushing is too harsh for her hair. I really wouldn't use her regimen on my 4a hair.

londongirl3

That is a crazy routine!! I thought she had texturized hair. Why does she go through such hell? /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

canuck

she does have texturized hair. She gets a 'silkener' done by curve, in order to make her hair less dense.
Her routine sounds over the top though,and she is a 3.

Ngaa i guess you could try perm rods, wrap your hair around them indivually with some gel and then finger comb into place. To hear the ppl on nc.com talk, every hair type has issues, so dont feel bad.

sweetcocoa

Except fot the brush...her routine sounds like a good one. I picked up a few tips(like the leave-in only on the ends). I think that could work..at least I'm gonna try it out.

Melaninme

sweetcocoa said:
Except fot the brush...her routine sounds like a good one. I picked up a few tips(like the leave-in only on the ends). I think that could work..at least I'm gonna try it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ladies, I did it, I tried the hair brush and believe it or not, I did not loose any hair and the curls/coils in my hair clumped together very nicely (maybe due to my combing out my hair prior to washing). After brushing each section, I proceeded to rinse out the conditioner; followed by the cold water rinse. When I stepped out of the shower to take a look, I was quite pleased with the results. My hair had a very uniformed looked. The curls and coils looked great, even without any products.

I finished styling my hair in twists, but when the weather warms up, I will use this method for when I want to wear a shake and go style; minus the shake.

I purchased a similar brush from Walmart for a fraction of the cost mentioned in the article.

Asha /images/graemlins/smile.gif

azul11

i have read her routine twice and i still dont see where the complicated parts are that were mentioned. it doesnt seem as complicated as some of the routines i have read on this site. am i missing something? /images/graemlins/confused.gif God bless you all.

VALLEYGIRL

Well ladies, I did it, I tried the hair brush and believe it or not, I did not loose any hair and the curls/coils in my hair clumped together very nicely (maybe due to my combing out my hair prior to washing). After brushing each section, I proceeded to rinse out the conditioner; followed by the cold water rinse. When I stepped out of the shower to take a look, I was quite pleased with the results. My hair had a very uniformed looked. The curls and coils looked great, even without any products.

[/ QUOTE ]

See now...why did you have to go and tell me this???

You know I am going to have to try this now....especially since I think you and I have simialar hair texture (3c-4a)

But just one more question before I run out and try this; You combed through your hair (covered with conditioner) with a comb first....right?
Then you used the brush right?
Then rinsed the conditioner out?
Just want to make sure I don't rip my hair out of my head or have a brush tangled up with hair.

Thanks Asha!
Valleygirl

Karonica

I have a brush similar to that. It is black and I bought it at CVS. I call it my "pressing comb." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlkMane

canuck-

Did you read somewhere that she gets a silkener (relaxer)
at Curve salon?

Just wondering how you know this. I thought her
hair was completely natural. My hair looks like that when it's all
natural. But I supposed I can understand her getting a relaxer
to make it less bulky.

canuck

dont quote me, but i think moni commented on that on another board. i would believe her since she is all ways well informed

sweetcocoa

VALLEYGIRL said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You know I am going to have to try this now....especially since I think you and I have simialar hair texture (3c-4a)

But just one more question before I run out and try this; You combed through your hair (covered with conditioner) with a comb first....right?
Then you used the brush right?
Then rinsed the conditioner out?
Just want to make sure I don't rip my hair out of my head or have a brush tangled up with hair.

Thanks Asha!
Valleygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto...I'm gonna have to try it now! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Madison

MissJ said:
I don't think her hair is a 4 anything. It has to be at least a 3 something if not a 2. Her dad is white after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

My niece is biracial and I can tell you that her hair is kinkier than mine. If there was a such thing as a 6a, she would most definitely have that type hair /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sweetcocoa

Madison said:
MissJ said:
I don't think her hair is a 4 anything. It has to be at least a 3 something if not a 2. Her dad is white after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

My niece is biracial and I can tell you that her hair is kinkier than mine. If there was a such thing as a 6a, she would most definitely have that type hair /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Madison, I agree with you on this one....
I think that's the one 'myth' this forum has proven wrong...

Melaninme

VALLEYGIRL said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You know I am going to have to try this now....especially since I think you and I have simialar hair texture (3c-4a) <font color="red"> Yes, I am a 3c/4a.</font>

But just one more question before I run out and try this; You combed through your hair (covered with conditioner) with a comb first....right? <font color="red"> No. I always comb through my hair prior to washing it with a very wide tooth comb. </font>
Then you used the brush right? <font color="red"> I did the no-poo method for the first time and I used Pantene Hydrating Curls (my all time favorite conditioner, but I haven't tried Elucence (sp?) yet) to wash my hair. After applying the conditioner, I brushed through 4 - 6 different sections one at a time. Let me tell you that my results of this no poo method was extrememly soft hair. I plan to continue with this for a while and see how my hair likes a couple more no-poos. </font>
Then rinsed the conditioner out? <font color="red"> Yes. I tilted my head backwards and used the warm water, followed by the cold rinse, to remove most of the conditioner. As the water hit my hair I used my hands (palms and finger combing) to gently remove the conditioner while keeping the hair uniform.</font>
Just want to make sure I don't rip my hair out of my head or have a brush tangled up with hair. The brush that I purchased was from Walmart by Goody and has nine rows bristles. <font color="red"> Try a small section first and proceed with caution. If you obtain the same results that I did...go for what you know. /images/graemlins/wink.gif</font>

Thanks Asha!
Valleygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> You are welcome. </font>
P.S.
Brush Tips found on the package:

Stiff bristle brushes penetrate wet hair allowing you to detangle and style you hair together. The rubber base allows each row of bristles to work independently of one another.

Use a Goody tufted style brush to smooth your hair after styling. <font color="red"> Well, I used it while my hair is wet with conditioner in it. Don't plan to use it after rinsing out the conditioner at all. </font>

Good Luck! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

I'm glad it worked for you! I know that brush would cause all kinds of havoc on my nappy hair, though... And I'm glad you found a cheaper brush. I wondered about that $17 price she quoted. Goody and Scunci make the same brush and I've seen it Wal Mart for under $5!
But IIRC, those kinds of brushes were called "shampoo brushes" when I was a little kid... They were round and didn't have a handle, but they had the same plastic bristles and rubber backing. Maybe they are ok for soaking wet hair with some kind of slippery lubricant on them. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

G

She probably needs that to go through that mountain of hair she has.

Very, thick and long.

londongirl3

It is time to display some ignorance

What is a silkener?

Where is the curve salon?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

What is a silkener? Where is the curve salon

[/ QUOTE ]

It's kind of like a texturizer...

Curve

londongirl3

Thanks Sassy girl!!!!!!/images/graemlins/Rose.gif

Americans have all the best stuff, I'm emigrating!

londongirl3

I have mostly 4a hair and even if I tried, I could never get ringlets. I have seen ringlets made with flexi rods which are basically thin rollers. Maybe you could try that /images/graemlins/smile.gif