Transitioning Update and Lenght Check! (Pic Heavy)

joytimes10

:pics:Hi Ladies,
I’m checking in with a quick transitioning update.:yep:

I have been planning since June to indulge in some direct heat and flat iron my hair for a family function.

I haven’t used direct heat since I started transitioning in April 2009 so I was anxious to see if I had made any progress in length and/or thickness. I also hadn’t been to my stylist since my last relaxer because I decided to transition.

Here is where I started from on my HHJ
Thin, see-thru ends and dry as the Sahara, relaxed hair – 12-24-08 – Here I was 6 months post relaxer

I tried to transition but I couldn’t counter the damage that had already been done.
At 8 months post, wash day was hell and I was losing a lot of hair:pullhair:

So, 4/14/09, I texlaxed and trimmed back to this:

The moment my stylist was done, I wished I hadn’t done it. Anyway, that very day, I vowed never to relaxed my hair again and began the transitioning journey with a lot more knowledge about how to care for my hair.
Braidouts, buns, and cowashing became essential.

In October 09’ I was a little past neck length with lots of new growth:

:update:Here is my latest length check!!!! 09/24/10 :woohoo:
I’m back to a full, healthy APL and I only have about 2 ½ inches of relaxed ends left. I’ve been snipping away at it little by little.

Front View:

Rear View:

My Reggie::blush:
  • Shampoo maybe 1x/ month with Giovanni moisturizing poo
  • Clarify once every 3 months w/ VO5 Clarifying poo
  • Cowash each weekend w/ Tresemmee Naturals Moisturizing condish
  • Rinse out partially and dry to 80% in a bun. Continue with braidout or take down bun, apply Giovanni direct leave in, seal with coconut oil and re-bun until the following weekend.
  • If I do a braidout, I use the same combination of products above and I re-braid each night w/out detangling.
  • After wash day, I do not comb again until the next wash day. During the summer months, I may cowash mid-week if temps are in the triple digits. Wet hair keeps me cool in the heat. During the winter, I never go out with wet hair.
  • I recently (August 10) started adding wheatgerm oil to my DC for the ceramides benefits everyone is raving about. I have seen an improvement in my hair’s ability to retain moisture between wash days.
  • I henna (Karishma brand) 1X/month. This month I added wheatgerm oil to my plain water and henna mix. It was definitely a better result than usual. I rinse out the henna after a minimum of 3 hours and follow-up with a DC. I try to Henna on a week that I would regularly DC.
  • I DC bi-weekly w/ Kenra MC on dry hair w/ heat for 1 hour under a hooded dryer, or I will sleep in the condish overnight, no heat.
  • Before my most recent flat iron, I DC’ed every week overnight for 4 weeks and henna’d 2X in September. I needed to make sure my protein/moisture balance was near perfect to avoid a heat damage set back.
That’s basically it. I try to keep it simple because if I add too many variables I will not be consistent. :nono:

I don’t plan to straighten again until Christmas and I will not cut off all the relaxed ends until I reach past BSL.

:thatsall: Thanks for reading my ramble…. :wave:

tricie

Hey, joytimes10!

Congrats on your progress; your hair looks awesome! Our natural journey is sooo similar....I started transitioning in April 09 after being disgusted with my post perm hair. I bun and DC as well, but haven't straightened for a length check yet. I don't think I'm quite to APL yet, but I'm about 2 inches away, so I hope to get there by the end of the year, but I'm sure I'll be braided up again by then.

You inspire me...thanks for posting! :kiss:

joytimes10

Hey, joytimes10!

Congrats on your progress; your hair looks awesome! Our natural journey is sooo similar....I started transitioning in April 09 after being disgusted with my post perm hair. I bun and DC as well, but haven't straightened for a length check yet. I don't think I'm quite to APL yet, but I'm about 2 inches away, so I hope to get there by the end of the year, but I'm sure I'll be braided up again by then.

You inspire me...thanks for posting! :kiss:

Thanks so much. I hope I'm helping somebody. Transitioning is no joke. Keep going, you can do it! PM me if ever you have a moment of weakness, or need a pep talk or product reference. We will be celebrating a successfull transition soon.

Ms. Martina

B E A U T I F U L!

It looks soooo shiny and healthy! I am hitting my 4 month mark this week in my transition. I've gone six months in the past without a relaxer though. I hope I can keep mine healthy...

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
WOW, your hair looks gorgeous. I am a bit lost. How many months post are you? I am learning a lot about transitioning.

joytimes10

WOW, your hair looks gorgeous. I am a bit lost. How many months post are you? I am learning a lot about transitioning.

Thanks so much:blush:
I'm about 17 months into my transition. I plan to keep going until I get past BSL and then snip the last of the relaxed ends. Without a good reggie, I would be really stuggling :)