Transitioning without the BC?

Cherokee-n-Black

(or waiting for long NG before the BC) The last time I transitioned, I did not do a BC, just grew my natural hair out with relaxed ends. I see a few transitioning folk on here who still have their relaxed hair. What methods help to account for the line of demarcation and obvious differences between the two types of hair? The first time I wore braidouts, which worked fine for me. This time around I was considering letting my stylist do his thing (more gentle version of Dominican Blow-out or Flat Iron) and trim the ends every few weeks. Anyone care to share--especially my longhaired diva hair idols like BlackBarbie and DivineEmpress?

ETA: Last time, I did a "little chop" not a BC when the natural hair grew out.

Last edited:

edenhere

Be careful with the blowouts and flat iron. I have breakage from the many years I had straightened my hair so the two textures would match.

I know I always mention it, but two strand cornrows are another good method for those transitioning, because it makes the two textures consistently wavy when you take it out.

I don't know if she's a member here, but this Fotki shows someone who didn't Big Chop immediately and she waited for her hair to be the desired length before she cut off her hair.

Last edited:

Cherokee-n-Black

Be careful with the blowouts and flat iron. I have breakage from the many years I had straightened my hair so the two textures would match.

I know I always mention it, but two strand cornrows are another good method for those transitioning, because it makes the two textures consistently wavy when you take it out.

I don't know if she's a member here, but this Fotki shows someone who didn't Big Chop immediately and she waited for her hair to be the desired length before she cut of her hair.

Good to know re: the breakage. Although, I will not be entrusting my blowouts and flat ironing to my own devices, I will definitely be under the care of a hair professional! LOL IF I decide to go that route, that is. I had a friend who transitioned with the two strand twists you mentioned, and she would wear twist outs as well. She did have some gorgeous hair, though, silkier and curlier than mine. So that's another alternative to the braid and the straightening. Thanks for the Fotki, I'll have to check it at home b/c I can't access at work. Divine Empress has a lot of NG and her hair is HL! Her NG was between SL - BSB when I last saw her pics, and that would be enough for me to CHOP. But, she'd be choppin' a lot more than I would!

CurlyGirl1996

Cherokee-n-black, I'm with you on growing out my relaxed hair while transitioning. However, today I did cut about an inch and a half (I'm guessing) of relaxed hair because my ends are thin and it's evident where my natural hair stops and relaxed hair start.

blackbarbie

For the first 7 or 8 months, I got rollersets at the salon (whenever I wanted it straight) and then I let them flat iron my NG. I really never have had any problems at all with the 2 textures, it's just that it took me transitioning to figure out that I have to be verrrry gentle when detangling your hair. I have an easier time detangling now than I ever had when I was 100% relaxed.

I have never liked blow dryers and flat irons and used them sparingly when I was relaxed (didn't even really own one) so that was my drawback when considering to transition. I kept wondering what I would do to my hair when I wanted it straightened. As I neared the year mark of my transition, this one stylist (who was really good at pulling my NG so tight around the magnetic rollers the first few months that she didn't need to flat iron the NG) told me it was time to start fully blow drying and flat ironing. I was really nervous and scared b/c I was afraid of the breakage. But I didn't wear my hair straight that often anyway. Although if you are letting a professional do it and not getting it done every week, you will probably be fine if you want to transition that way.

After the year's mark whenever I would get my hair blow dried and flat ironed, I stopped letting them blow dry it straight because the difference in the NG and the relaxed parts were just too obvious, so the way I disguised it was to let the stylist curl my hair with the flat iron (after flat ironing it) and then maintaining the curls with a single flexirod. When it was curly like that, (like in my avatar and siggy) you couldn't tell the difference between the relaxed and the NG. Each time I would get it done (probably every 90 days), I would get a few inches cut off. It was very gradual. The "biggest" chop I have had is about 4 inches at one time. Even then, my hair was a couple of inches above my bra strap.

For a while, I tried the flat twists. I like them better than braid outs because all the hair looks uniform and wavy and you really can't tell the difference. Although I have very few relaxed ends, I don't do them often because the natural hair is much thicker and it would literally take almost an entire weekend to dry.

I have been bracing myself for getting rid of the remaining ends and what the maintenance would be on my hair. I can't say that I am looking forward to it b/c I am still at a loss.

I'm sorry for rambling but I hope that helps a bit.

BB

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Transitioning is so hard for me. I'm tempted to relax because I get so mad with my lack of skills, but I refuse because I'll regret it!:ohwell: I am now focusing on mastering flat twists and educating myself on a regimen that will help me with my focus. I think I am going to eventually BC, but not right away. I hope to drag my transition for as long as I can handle it.:grin:

blackbarbie

Transitioning is so hard for me. I'm tempted to relax because I get so mad with my lack of skills, but I refuse because I'll regret it!:ohwell: I am now focusing on mastering flat twists and educating myself on a regimen that will help me with my focus. I think I am going to eventually BC, but not right away. I hope to drag my transition for as long as I can handle it.:grin:

Hang in there; it will get easier as you get more NG to work with. Watch some YT vids on mastering your flat twist technique and pay attention to your hair when you use certain products. It will tell you what it likes and what it does not like.

BB

poookie

I'm considering this. a BC / TWA is out of the question for me, since my head is shaped funny :lol: but i'd love to be natural. i'm 6 weeks post now, and hoping to try and stretch until 20 at the very LEAST. best case scenario, i transition to natural & remain around APL the whole time