DID ANYONE EVER GET STUCK AT BC LENGTH?

I was just having some random hair thoughts.
And some serious paranoia that my hair would never be long again.
I know it has been proven time and time again
that our hair can grow long if you care for it properly.
But, I was thinking; I just BC'd and my hair has grown
tremendously since I started transitioning, but what if it
grew because my ends were not exposed?
My relaxed ends broke off because they were
too weak, but at the same time my new growth
was protected at all times because it was
attached to my straight hair.
Did any of you ladies BC and your hair never grew long again?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i dont think so. remember natural hair has a certain strength to it. if you natural hair was just as weak as your relaxed hair or weaker then there would never be a line of demarcation it would just be random breakage (not just where the relaxed hair stops but all over your natural hair as well). as long as you take care of your hair properly it will continue to flourish.
:)
HTH

hopeful

Just be patient--your hair will grow:yep:. I would recommend being careful with trimming too much, especially the 1st year, otherwise you may not see the growth you want to see. I found that my ends would get thin especially when I was natural, I think it was from the twists. Anyway, I would trim off the thin ends and a few months later they were back. Some people may think I'm crazy but I realized that those thin ends were protecting the rest of my hair. If I had left them alone until I had reached a particular goal I would have made more progress. I hope this post makes sense:look:.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
No...I have never seen that :)
If your hair grew before, it will grow even quicker now.

Your hair looks great btw! :D

Irresistible

Your puff is so gorgeous! :love:

but I hear what your saying with the concern, I'm sure it will grow but yes you have to keep your ends moisturized. Mostly what I have seen is growth take off after the BC like crazy!:yep:

vestaluv1

I understand why you may be a bit worried, but your hair WILL grow and you WILL be able to retain length. Just keep taking care of your hair the way you are, and you will be fine. It just takes time, so patience is the key.
It's a bit like watching paint dry, or grass grow... theres no magic trick to make it happen instantly or tomorrow :nono:.

Don't concentrate on your hair growing too much. Do what you need to do to keep your gorgeous hair healthy and the length will come automatically, but if you think about it too much, you may just get discouraged.

Yes, you BC'd, but that was part of your journey to having lovely, long, natural hair, right?!? You've come a long way, from transitioning. You're actually near the end of the journey :yep:.
Keep your self encouraged with other naturals' fotki progress pics, etc.
Maybe you could set yourself a goal length for six months time.
Don't worry, give it time!

Last edited:

Neith

It just looks like your hair is short, but in reality it's growing... probably faster than you even realize. Try straightening your hair every few months and you'll be able to see it better :yep:

Kay.Dee

I don't mean to scare you but I feel that way about my hair right now.

I think I've only gained an inch since BC because my the ends of my hair hated me.
They were like velcro.

Every time I'd touch or manipulate my hair, tiny broken hairs would be in my hands.
This thread was right on time because last night I got frustrated and did a 1/2 inch trim to try to get rid of split ends and tiny knots. I have 4b hair that likes to wrap around itself at any given chance.

I used to do search and destroy trimming but I think that was making the matter even worse. My hair feels much more better now (at last for now) that I've actually trimmed a decent amount of hair to get rid of my destroyed ends.

I think my ends got that way because of rough handling, not having a decent moisturizer for a while, and forgetting to protect my hair at night.

Sometimes I wish I would have transitioned longer to have more length right now, but I look at it this way...At least I'm dealing with only a few inches of hair, early on in my hair journey, as compared to an overwhelming amount of hair and with a risk of losing much more. It's kind of frustrating, but I'm glad I'm dealing with it now.

BostonMaria

Your hair will keep growing! Its something other people have discussed with me so don't feel alone.

I had the complete opposite fear, I was afraid that if I transitioned too long it would hinder my growth. Your hair looks beautiful! Like Neith said, flatiron every few months and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Brooklyn72

I remember seeing your pics when you did your BC. Your hair has grown a ton since then imo! Be patient like the other ladies mentioned. BTW- I love your hair.

Evolving78

girl you need to stop trippin!LOL! your hair is growing like crazy! i can't wait to see your hair 6 months to a year from now.

I don't mean to scare you but I feel that way about my hair right now.

I think I've only gained an inch since BC because my the ends of my hair hated me.
They were like velcro.

Every time I'd touch or manipulate my hair, tiny broken hairs would be in my hands.
This thread was right on time because last night I got frustrated and did a 1/2 inch trim to try to get rid of split ends and tiny knots. I have 4b hair that likes to wrap around itself at any given chance.

I used to do search and destroy trimming but I think that was making the matter even worse. My hair feels much more better now (at last for now) that I've actually trimmed a decent amount of hair to get rid of my destroyed ends.

I think my ends got that way because of rough handling, not having a decent moisturizer for a while, and forgetting to protect my hair at night.

Sometimes I wish I would have transitioned longer to have more length right now, but I look at it this way...At least I'm dealing with only a few inches of hair, early on in my hair journey, as compared to an overwhelming amount of hair and with a risk of losing much more. It's kind of frustrating, but I'm glad I'm dealing with it now.

I understand what you're saying. I'm over the initial shock of the BC and I love my hair, it's super thick and strong. And as you said, I think it is better to gradually become better acquainted with your hair as it grows.
It would be overwhelming to get too much hair to handle after the BC.

What do you use to moisturize your hair? Do you sleep with a scarf at night?

Kay.Dee

Thanks
I'm back to good old Scurl and the last of my Qhem Heavy cream right now, I'm too broke to buy Oyin's spritzes (which is what I prefer)

I'm forcing myself to become better when it comes to tying my hair up at night. I can't just slap on a satin bonnet because it will still be matted in the morning. Recently I've started make small bantu knots allover my head before bed and just undo them in the morning. I hope it works.

But I'm sure you'll be fine, and your hair is gorgeous. I was mean to my hair when I first BCed and it just caught up with me! Just make sure to treat your hair like silk.