TV show HAIR TRAMA: SUSAN TAYLOR...

Evolving78

I finally got to catch that show "Hair Trama" with Ellen LaVar. I didn't know that she was the one that braids Susan Taylor's hair (Essence Editor-in-Chief). If she is so into hair care and good braiding and weaving practices, then why does she continue to braid that woman's hair the same way causing her to not have a hair line any more? A lot of hair cleints hair was in bad shape and needed expensive weave jobs to look good. I wonder if she is teaching these women to take care of their hair under those weaves. She also has her own line of hair care products, but after seeing some of those clients, I don't know if I would ever want to try them. I mean, what's up with that? Has anyone tried any of her products or was a client of her's?

Maybe she recently started doing Susan Taylor's hair??!! I am with you. It is not a good way to market your services using Susan Taylor as an example.

In the clip, Susan says she's been braiding her since she was 16. Her edges are gone and I'd like to tell myself that she never had them but I know that would be false. I believe Ms. Taylor doesn't care anymore. She's still beautiful and living regally so I suppose it doesn't matter. Still though....

I use her edges as a cautionary tale for any potential clients wanting micros or tight braids.
p1

I think that some of her clients had healthy hair but it is hard to tell. Some were in the middle of having weaves removed. NO one's hair looks good during the take down process. I know my hair looks like a birds nest as i take out my braids. The case with the essence editor, that is her signature style. She says that in the show. Ellen might have even told her that she should have changed it but she probably didnt want ellen to do something different. She probably feels that style represents her. Thing is that people risk the damage alot of times just for a style. I know that i have caused my hair to have been a victim of this.

Last edited:
it seemed like the clients' hair was damaged, thinning and balding. I know Susan Taylor has been wearing her hair like that since I have been on this earth and I that's over 28 years. That is a long time to wear your hair like that. Obivously she doesn't care anymore or ever cared

shortdub78 said:
I finally got to catch that show "Hair Trama" with Ellen LaVar. I didn't know that she was the one that braids Susan Taylor's hair (Essence Editor-in-Chief). If she is so into hair care and good braiding and weaving practices, then why does she continue to braid that woman's hair the same way causing her to not have a hair line any more? A lot of hair cleints hair was in bad shape and needed expensive weave jobs to look good. I wonder if she is teaching these women to take care of their hair under those weaves. She also has her own line of hair care products, but after seeing some of those clients, I don't know if I would ever want to try them. I mean, what's up with that? Has anyone tried any of her products or was a client of her's?

Re: Susan Taylor: It's all about the $$$$$ and like someone said - it's her signature hairstyle

Re: Products, my mom uses her line and seems to like it. I was going to try one of her hair oils, but haven't gotten around to it

I caught this episode too. I was especially surprised to find out that she does Serena's weaves too because imho they don't look very good. Also, there was a client who paid $1200 for hair for a weave job that she (Ellin - the stylist) accidentally put in someone else's hair. :eek: I was shocked that people would pay that amount of money for some hair.

Celebrity Stylist or not, if the end result of going to her appears to be weave dependence - I'll pass.

Maybe because I look at hair health first before styling, I'm biased - but if it were my show, I'd want to show a wider range of services. IMO, it just promotes more stereotypical thoughts about black women and their hair. A black woman's weave hair is missing - all hell is about to break loose! Granted, they did show a white woman having a track "repaired", but she was the exception and not the rule.

I always thought Susan Taylor had an extra extended hairline and resulting huge forehead.. kinda like Mystikal's.. oh well.

I walked in Ulta to get my trusty keracare hydrating poo, and the stylist recommended the shampoo and cond. She said they were esp formulated for "us" by one of "us".:confused: Anywhy two years later I now use it to wash my combs and brushes and my mums wigs.:D The poo left my hair dry and tangled and the conditioning rinse did absolutely nothing.

Ellin and the entire salon are just the worst IMO. There are so many negatives that it's unbelievable she's been around for so long and now has a TV show! You can tell she's more about weaving than hair care.
-Susan's hair is a hot mess
-her stylist have attitudes(the nicest one seems to be Marcia)
-the atmosphere is so negative(on the new assistant episode-although the girl turned out to be a nutcase, but when she initially met two of the stylist they seemed so stank)
-the drama is just too much for a professional business
-the end result does not equal the price you pay

i thought the same thing. serena's weaves ALWAYS look bad and Susans hairline, omg. she also does mary j bliges weaves which look jacked most of the time. she knows how to put in a weave but doesnt know how to make it look good and obviously doesnt know how to take care of hair. plus she was wearing a weave/wig herself, not a good sign imo.

Pussinboots said:
I walked in Ulta to get my trusty keracare hydrating poo, and the stylist recommended the shampoo and cond. She said they were esp formulated for "us" by one of "us".:confused: Anywhy two years later I now use it to wash my combs and brushes and my mums wigs.:D The poo left my hair dry and tangled and the conditioning rinse did absolutely nothing.

I tried her products too and was very underwhelmed. Plus the scent is so strong and lemony, it smells like a household cleaner...NOT GOOD.

ximenia said:
i thought the same thing. serena's weaves ALWAYS look bad and Susans hairline, omg. she also does mary j bliges weaves which look jacked most of the time. she knows how to put in a weave but doesnt know how to make it look good and obviously doesnt know how to take care of hair. plus she was wearing a weave/wig herself, not a good sign imo.

I dont think she actually does Mary's hair. On her first episode she said clients come to her salon wanting Mary's styles. And a long time ago I remember reading an article where Mary tells the name of her stylist(it sure wasnt Ellin) and that the person travels with her everywhere-she's her personal stylist.

Simple, honest answer: hell no! She wants those poor misguided fools to be dependent on her. That way she'll be guaranteed the big Hollywood bucks. :look:

*ahh, so proud to be a cynic! :lachen:

shortdub78 said:

I also wanted to add that imo, Reneice does a better job, plus she advocates good hair care, and will one day be her competition! :)

bklynwildheart said:
Simple, honest answer: hell no! She wants those poor misguided fools to be dependent on her. That way she'll be guaranteed the big Hollywood bucks. :look:

*ahh, so proud to be a cynic! :lachen:
Exactly, if she teaches healthy hair practices her clients may choose their own hair over a weave, much less profit for her.

I have never seen this show. What station does this come on?
From all of your reviews I wonder how she EVER got her own T.V. show in the first place. I gotta check this one out!:perplexed

It's on cable--the WE network.

I tried to watch her show, but it sux so bad! I have more fun watching Bridezilla...

DeDewantslongerhair said:
I have never seen this show. What station does this come on?
From all of your reviews I wonder how she EVER got her own T.V. show in the first place. I gotta check this one out!:perplexed

bklynwildheart said:
It's on cable--the WE network.

I tried to watch her show, but it sux so bad! I have more fun watching Bridezilla...

Thanks, I'll check my listings.

Bridezillas!!! Girl, that is my show. I was watching the other night and that woman(can't think of her name) was off the hook. She was bombin everybody out. Even told the lady in the store she was not supposed to touch her ring!!! She was a true bridezilla!!:grin:

Sorry to get off topic!!;)

I agree, no one had impressive hair. I was turned off by the fact that she did susan's hair and BRAGGED about it. the same with serena. What about HAIRCARE! but i aint gonna lie, i was envious of the assistants that tried out for the job, i would have LOVED it! But i am guessing that the clients are paying all that much money because it is very expensive hair, plus ellin does have a braiding pattern that makes her weaves lie flat and look undetectable. BUT the cut & style she gives the weaves, and the fullness of them is why they end up looking a fake HAM. she needs to style more real like.

Back