I want to learn how to do my own braids

tryn2growmyhair

For those of you who braid your own hair, could you please let me know how you learned and give me tips on how I can braid my own hair? I feel that this is healthier and safer than going to some outfit where they just want to braid your hair as quickly as possible. My goal in coming to this board is learning how to take care of my hair as much as possible. While I would never relax my own hair I think I could handle braiding. Also, any tips for how to braid fragile type 4b relaxed hair without damaging it would be appreciated. any tips on how to make the hair braiding look very professional would also be appreciated. I am interested in doing the Susan Taylor type braids because I think that they would allow me to use own hair the most and would be healthiest or learning how to do tree braids that are bigger than a pencil. But I dont want it to come out looking crooked or raggedy.

Healthb4Length

The way I learned how to braid my hair was ordering Robin Wood's video from www.growafrohairlong.com, I mean the braids are very basic but they provide a good foundation to start. Another site that sells excellent braid videos is www.KhamitKinks.com, they are pricey but the videos from what I've heard are well worth it.

tryn2growmyhair

Thanks very much for the tip. I did not know that Khamit Kinks gives lessons! They are kind of expensive, though. Does anyone know of a less expensive way to learn how to braid?

Leslie_C

I would suggest just getting one of those barbie heads with the hair, some 99 cent synthetic hair and practicing. I cant style for crap or even cornrow or flat twist but I learned to individual braid through trial and error. my only problem is it takes me ages to do it....I get tired and then start making them bigger and bigger...lol. plus i absolutely HATE HATE HATE taking braids down.
good luck!

tryn2growmyhair

Thanks for all the tips. I am especially interested in learning how to cornrow. I think that would be healthiest for my hair because I could make a nice style and not have to necessarily add extensions. I think that this might be healthiest for my type 4 fine hair.

Satrina

I've got a cornrow tutorial on my website. It has step-by-step instructions and a few short videos. Send me a message if you're interested.