TWA Support Thread

pearlific1

Trust me I understand. If you have low porosity hair and with type 4; a,b,c you should consider the mhm. It is helping my hair absorb moisture products so much better. What's going on with your hair? I just BC on 12/19 so I'm still figuring things out myself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

My hair doesn't really curl, it only gets frizzy. After experimenting with a few products that I had on hand, my hair began to clump into curls on the sides of my head but the top remained a ball of cotton :lol: I honestly have no idea about my hair's porosity. It doesn't take too long for it to get wet and it doesn't dry out too fast. I tried the hair floating on water test..my hair floated for some time then sank :perplexed ...and still have no idea what that means. This is a whole new ballgame for me but I'm up for the challenge.

... seeing that you have more growth than 4 inches, protective styles (like braiding your hair up at night or flat twists to stretch your hair and then wear your hair out but doing it gently not to create mechanical damage from the styling) and using a spray bottle to wet your hair and use a leave in. I would also shampoo and DC weekly. And incorporate a bi monthly protein treatment.

This is good info, thanks!

If you are low porosity, many women favor the mhm method as there is a science behind it. The products raise the cuticles as they are alkaline and then close up the cuticles again to bind the moisture.

I need to do some research on MHM. I will subscribe to that thread. Thanks ladies for steering me in the right direction. :yep:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
My hair doesn't really curl, it only gets frizzy. After experimenting with a few products that I had on hand, my hair began to clump into curls on the sides of my head but the top remained a ball of cotton :lol: I honestly have no idea about my hair's porosity. It doesn't take too long for it to get wet and it doesn't dry out too fast. I tried the hair floating on water test..my hair floated for some time then sank :perplexed ...and still have no idea what that means. This is a whole new ballgame for me but I'm up for the challenge.

I need to do some research on MHM. I will subscribe to that thread. Thanks ladies for steering me in the right direction. :yep:

You sound exactly like me, especially immediately after I BC. The mhm has been really helping to hydrate my strands and its plenty of work in progress. Find out your porosity and go from there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

Guinan

Re-Branding
I'm getting excited y'all. The back of my hair (when wet) is finally touching my shoulders and the front of my hair is almost to my collar bone.:yay::yay: However once my hair dries it shrinks up to my ears:sad: . At least I wont have to worry about my hair snagging on my clothing for a while:ohwell:

I feel like I want to join a length challenge but I have no ideal which one. I was gonna join the SL challenge but I will probably be "officially" at SL soon. Maybe I'll join the APL challenge. We'll see when I straighten my hair. I think I'll straighten my hair around April/May.

pearlific1

I feel like I want to join a length challenge but I have no idea which one. I was gonna join the SL challenge but I will probably be "officially" at SL soon. Maybe I'll join the APL challenge. We'll see when I straighten my hair. I think I'll straighten my hair around April/May.

Same here. When I stretch my hair, it passes my shoulders so I feel like there is no point in joining the SL challenge. I also don't feel that APL is attainable this year given my normal growth rate. I guess I will just lurk in the challenge threads.

naija24

sooooo i'm about 8 weeks post relaxer, about 3-4 weeks post bc. i feel like OMG I LOOK SO FLY but i am also growing impatient and wanting my hair to grow :( I wish to God i didn't get that dumb relaxer in December, otherwise i'd have 7 months of growth by now :(

I'd be happy with even 3 inches of natural hair. I just want SOMETHING. a twa or something. I feel like my fade is boring now. I know my hair shrinks a lot, but I hope I have a full 3 inches by June or something. My hair is half an inch stretched.

Last edited:

almond eyes

sooooo i'm about 8 weeks post relaxer, about 3-4 weeks post bc. i feel like OMG I LOOK SO FLY but i am also growing impatient and wanting my hair to grow :( I wish to God i didn't get that dumb relaxer in December, otherwise i'd have 7 months of growth by now :(

I'd be happy with even 3 inches of natural hair. I just want SOMETHING. a twa or something. I feel like my fade is boring now. I know my hair shrinks a lot, but I hope I have a full 3 inches by June or something. My hair is almost an inch stretched.

Wow, you cut it into a fade. Nice. Check out Geraldine Geri the Great, on youtube, she is also Naija. I found her TWA to waist length inspiring. Patience is key. CharyJay does a lot of cool roller sets. I am now at four inches soon to be five and will start my roller setting in April.

Best,
Almond Eyes

naija24

almond_eyes

Yes!! My bf broke up with me last month and I said "Screw it! I'm doing me from now on!" and chopped it all off. I'm happy I'm natural but yeah, it'd be nice to have even 2 extra inches.

Do you think it's realistic that I'll have 3 inches by June? it's already going on March :(

almond eyes

almond_eyes

Yes!! My bf broke up with me last month and I said "Screw it! I'm doing me from now on!" and chopped it all off. I'm happy I'm natural but yeah, it'd be nice to have even 2 extra inches.

Do you think it's realistic that I'll have 3 inches by June? it's already going on March :(

Hi Naija. I am sorry about the events but it sounds like he wasn't very supportive.
The good news is that any man who meets you now is going to experience your hair with no surprises and he isn't going to step to you if he doesn't like natural or natural short hair. And you don't need that. He will like you for you and any additional hair growth will be a surprise. Check out what Mahagony Curls on Youtube and what her husband who shaved her hair when she first started out had to say about natural hair and hair length.

Well consider that average hair growth is 1, 1/2, 1/4 an inch per month depending on your lifestyle, exercise, water, hair retention and healthy eating and genetics.

I shaved my hair in May 2014 and I did another shape up in June 2014. Right now my hair is about 3 to 4 inches in some parts. So by end of March 2015, I am expecting a full 4 to 5 inches.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Cattypus1

All loced up...
almond_eyes Yes!! My bf broke up with me last month and I said "Screw it! I'm doing me from now on!" and chopped it all off. I'm happy I'm natural but yeah, it'd be nice to have even 2 extra inches. Do you think it's realistic that I'll have 3 inches by June? it's already going on March :(
The object of the game is retention. It doesn't matter how fast your hair grows if you're not retaining. Have you thought about MHM?

Guinan

Re-Branding
@Cattypus1 MHM seems like a REALLY tedious process.

I used to think that too; until I tried it and compared it to my old reggie. The difference was that I was using the wrong products for my hair and the clay step. The great thing about this method is that you can cater it to fit your lifestyle. If you have the time to do it everyday for the allotted time then great; if you don't, still great. I think it's worth giving it a try; especially if you have no clue about your hair or if you do not have a reggie.

The MHM:
Step 0: Protein (when needed) ie Cherry Lola
Step 1: Clarify
Step 2: DC
Step 3: Clay
Step 4: Leave-in & styler (ie botanical gel)
Step 5: Style (preferably wng)

The time allotted for each step is again based off of your hair requirement and lifestyle. If you cant devote time for an overnight DC then don't do it. When I don't have the time I shorten the reggie for 15mins for each step; excluding steps 4 & 5. Takes me about 1-2hrs to do my hair including styling it. This is a HUGE deal for me. Prior to the method it would take HOURS to do my hair and it still looked a mess.

Based off of the steps in the MHM. What is it that's too tedious? How long does it take to do your hair and do you like the results? Is it the steps or the products for the MHM? Like I std the only difference for me was the products and the clay. Prior to the method, I was already DC overnight and using ACV to clarify. However, I was using the wrong DC; which explained why my hair was still dry after I would DC overnight.

Last edited:

almond eyes

Cattypus1 MHM seems like a REALLY tedious process.

I think you don't need to do all of that.

Your hair will hang as it gets longer.

And if you need your hair to feel softer doing two to three water rinses a week in the shower followed by a leave in is your best best. And keeping up with your DC's and protein treatments (weekly or bi weekly) and you will be fine.

Almond Eyes

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Cattypus1 MHM seems like a REALLY tedious process.
It's not that tedious to me but it is a commitment. My experience with the method has been wonderful. It does take some experimentation to get the components and the ratios right but all through the experiments my hair is thriving. When I say I have zero breakage, that is the truth. Need is relative, you may not need to do MHM to retain hair but i know there's nothing I can do to make my hair grow but I can certainly do whatever it takes to keep whatever grows up there.

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Doing the bump! Anyone in the TWA stage or y'all all got long hair now :lol: I could use someone to chat with.

I'm back in TWA land after doing a fade about a month ago. Very short TWA but still a TWA.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I have been in TWA-land so many times! 6-7, I forget. I have 5-6" inches now after buzzing it down to 1/4" last July. I have the world most boring regimen--castor oil and water--but it is very coily. I do not even know if this is considered still a TWA or not.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I have been in TWA-land so many times! 6-7, I forget. I have 5-6" inches now after buzzing it down to 1/4" last July. I have the world most boring regimen--castor oil and water--but it is very coily. I do not even know if this is considered still a TWA or not.
I could easily see myself doing this a few more times but I'm also curious about seeing how long a length I could achieve leaving my hair alone for at least four years.

Your regimen sounds nice and simple!

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I could easily see myself doing this a few more times but I'm also curious about seeing how long a length I could achieve leaving my hair alone for at least four years.

Your regimen sounds nice and simple!
Thank you, but I need to add a light protein still. I might have to try silk animo acid mixed with distilled water and treat it like a DC. Leaving my hair alone for a few years is exactly what I am trying to do, although some of these more natural products are tempting to try.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I used to think that too; until I tried it and compared it to my old reggie. The difference was that I was using the wrong products for my hair and the clay step. The great thing about this method is that you can cater it to fit your lifestyle. If you have the time to do it everyday for the allotted time then great; if you don't, still great. I think it's worth giving it a try; especially if you have no clue about your hair or if you do not have a reggie.

The MHM:
Step 0: Protein (when needed) ie Cherry Lola
Step 1: Clarify
Step 2: DC
Step 3: Clay
Step 4: Leave-in & styler (ie botanical gel)
Step 5: Style (preferably wng)

The time allotted for each step is again based off of your hair requirement and lifestyle. If you cant devote time for an overnight DC then don't do it. When I don't have the time I shorten the reggie for 15mins for each step; excluding steps 4 & 5. Takes me about 1-2hrs to do my hair including styling it. This is a HUGE deal for me. Prior to the method it would take HOURS to do my hair and it still looked a mess.

Based off of the steps in the MHM. What is it that's too tedious? How long does it take to do your hair and do you like the results? Is it the steps or the products for the MHM? Like I std the only difference for me was the products and the clay. Prior to the method, I was already DC overnight and using ACV to clarify. However, I was using the wrong DC; which explained why my hair was still dry after I would DC overnight.

I love this post! It resonates with me 100%!

How did you determine you were using the wrong DC? What made it wrong? Which DC was it, and what do you use now? TIA!

Guinan

Re-Branding
I love this post! It resonates with me 100%!

How did you determine you were using the wrong DC? What made it wrong? Which DC was it, and what do you use now? TIA!

I was using Herbal Essence, Hello Hydration conditioner. It worked great when I was relaxed but as a natural it just coated my hair and did not penetrate my hair shaft. It made my hair frizzy and dry. Like my hair felt great when I rinsed out the conditioner, but then it became to feel very dry as my hair began to air dry.

Now, I use either Tressume Curls Undone conditioner or KCNT

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I was using Herbal Essence, Hello Hydration conditioner. It worked great when I was relaxed but as a natural it just coated my hair and did not penetrate my hair shaft. It made my hair frizzy and dry. Like my hair felt great when I rinsed out the conditioner, but then it became to feel very dry as my hair began to air dry.

Now, I use either Tressume Curls Undone conditioner or KCNT

You use KCKT as a DC?!?? How, Sway? :smile:

Evolving78

I'm glad this is back on the first page!
I gotta wash my hair today and retwist. But I will be using the tension method to blow dry my hair first. I'm trying to cut down on the ssks. My hair shrinks up, so I will be here for awhile.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I am style-challenged and so hair lazy. Castor oil (clear, cold-pressed) has been a blessing; it works together with shower water and my sebum to coat my hair. Since my hair is short, I can feel through my coils, searching for any potential knots or shed hairs, and pull them out with little-to-no damage. I will use a comb once a month, detangling in the direction my hair grows (from the swirl pattern). Yes, it mean soaking wet hair in my face, but that causes me less stress and has worked for years. I have been rewarded with mostly defined, soft coils that is totally different from the knotting frizz I had prior. The hair is boss, y'all.

So, do I win the award for the most contrary regimen?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Two-day old hair: