Twist, Braid, Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/13 - 3/31/13)

gennatay

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bun

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? (This is what I'm planning due to tangles.)
Wash, deep condition and set on rollers. Bun in stretched style. Moisturize every night and protect ends by setting on large flexi rods at night.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Easy weekday styling and length retention

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

Taking one later today

Forever in Bloom

I'm in again, but this time I'll be trying something different.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Twists are my primary style, but I will give braiding a chance this year
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
I keep it very simple. Cowash one a week with Wen 613, condition with Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner, deep condition with Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm, use a leave-in (usually Alaffia Beautiful Curls Shea Butter Leave In), twist with any of the one million creams or moisturizers I own, seal with an oil, and then allow to air dry. I usually gather all of the twists into a bun and cover with a headwrap (I have about 20 and I change them up everyday) and wear for a week. I do change up the position of the bun every other day
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural!
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Even more retention!
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I will not be wearing my hair out
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). I'll post tomorrow when this HYH Challenge is over :yep:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am in! I've been doing flat twists and 2 strand twists. They are a bit scrawny, but I've only got 3 months of growth from my BC. I think my hair is thriving and I am using old school methods of grease and water. My hair is responding well to this. Hope you can see the flat twists in siggie pic!

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? My go-to styles will be pinned up twists, buns or braids
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Wash every 2 weeks. moisturize daily
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? APL May 13' BSL Dec 13'
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after Next day
6. Include Starting Pic. ::: Will post on Thursdays wash day

Throughout 2013 I plan on only washing my hair every 2 weeks to cut down manipulation.

Wash day plan:
pre-poo
shampoo
light protein
DC or Cassia overnight
Next day- blowdry and style

During the week- moisturize and seal at night before bed
oil scalp every few days

Take vitamins daily:
Moisture Rich - 2 spoons daily
MSM- 1 spoon daily
Vitamin c
horsetail
b complex
fish oil
garlic
vitamin d
marine collagen

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Ya'll amaze me with the ability to take these pics. I tried earlier and it was a huge fail. I will try again later. Otherwise my pics will not go up until Jan 11th or 12th.

Tibbar

I'm in...

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? I'm usually in twists, although sometimes I wear buns or twistout updos.
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? I shampoo, condition/DC weekly or bi-weekly. Occasionally I co-wash. I try to M & S often, but not as often as I should.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? I'm natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Ease of styling, low manipulation, hoping for more thickness and eventually length. Still trying to even out my hair. :ohwell:
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? If I wear my hair out, I will give myself 3 days off... :grin:

Edited to add starting picture ...

Last edited:

BraunSugar

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists, braids, and buns. I like variety.
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Wash every 1 - 1.5 weeks. Use Duo Tex Protein Conditioner, & detangle with Tresemme Naturals. After styling, moisturize with aloe vera juice, seal with my crisco/aloe vera gel mix, cover hair with satin bonnet or satin scarf.
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Better length retention. I'm hoping to make both BSL & MBL in 2013.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days

isawstars

Thanks for the tag! I will probably join the challenge late... like end of January... I am still wearing my hair out as my reward for wearing twists for 6+ months straight.

I will see you ladies soon!

youwillrise

finished my twists. i took pictures, but i look like a douche in all of them, so i'll take different ones tomorrow. haha

faithVA

Put my coils in. I changed the products I used so these don't look so good. :ohwell: They will have to do until the weekend. Hopefully they will be better next week.

Ogoma

I will be lurking. I want to put extensions for a vacation in Feb so cannot join, but will lurk for encouragement.

NikkiQ

Here we go!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Braids & buns
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Braids-M&S daily. throw into pigtails or ponytails; Buns- M&S and rebun daily. Might try to cowash and bun more often since the hair has gotten longer
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Almost 2 years natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retain moisture and growth
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

Attachments

• 531298_10152142695717195_1308571254_n.jpg
    531298_10152142695717195_1308571254_n.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 400112_10152142697422195_264081404_n.jpg
    400112_10152142697422195_264081404_n.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

BGT

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Cowashing every 2-3 days, taking vitamins, exercising, drinking super smoothies, drinking lots of water
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Relaxed, 10 week stretches
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? My first time solely bunning, I retained all of my growth from my touch up; the cowashing made my NG more manageable and I don't spend as much time in the morning doing my hair. My crown, which had been suffering from years of rollersets, is now getting a much needed break. Anyways, the bunning is helping me to retain my growth. :yep:
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I hadn't been restyling. I straightened for special occasions only.

ETA: the December pic is airdryed, not flat-ironed hair so it's not even pin straight like the first pic. :grin:

Attachments

• image-4005962588.jpg
    image-4005962588.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

MeowMix

Thanks BraunSugar. Saving my place:)

Updating slowly but surely. Where is that durn camera? :spinning:

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Braids
What is your style maintenance regimen? Co-wash ~2x wk, DC 1 wk, Dust~ 8wks, Protein~ 8wks
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retention
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

Lookin like SugarBear in that first snap;)

Last edited:

ajoke

Happy new year ladies, I would like to join this challenge

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twist out buns

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Wash bi weekly, oil, moisturise as needed

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Have been having postpartum shedding at my edges, want to give edges a chance to grow back in
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I rarely wear my hair out. After washing, I twist t stretch, then wear twistout buns. I restyle my ' bangs' every 2 to 3 days.

Attachments

• image-3205667715.jpg
    image-3205667715.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 68

lyricallysound

I was in the last challenge I just fell off the wagon with posting, but I promise to do better this time.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twist
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Wash hair every 1 to 2 weeks then twist back up into an updo with carols daughter marguerite's magic. I will be spritzing my hair with my aloe vera juice and peppermint/tea tree oil mix whenever I get the itches.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? healthy ends
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I will try to not wear my hair out at all but at most it will be 2 days.
I just styled my hair for the week, so these are my starting pics

Attachments

• 12312012sm.jpg
    12312012sm.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Photo on 2013-12-31 at 15.53 #4.jpg
    Photo on 2013-12-31 at 15.53 #4.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo on 2013-12-31 at 15.54.jpg
    Photo on 2013-12-31 at 15.54.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 56

BraunSugar

Glad to see we have more people joining!!! I am determined to reach BSL before my nappiversary on May 29th. I'd like to definitely be grazing BSL by my birthday in April. The last 2 challenges have really helped me increase my retention in a very noticeable way. I'm excited to start up again!

Sunshinelove32

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twist & Bunning
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Co wash 2-3 times a week two strand twist or bantu knots
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Learn how to leave my hair in a style for longer then a day or two. (so it can grow)
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? My goal by April is not to wear it out but for now it would be 2days.

Attachments

• hair shot2.jpg
    hair shot2.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 81

rsmith

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Two strand twist and buns
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Wash every two weeks, don't have favorite brand of conditioner. I usually co wash. When wearing buns , I will add castor oil, water and moisturizer and wear bun for two or three days repeating same steps at night. I usually wear twist for two to three weeks.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural 4 years
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length, health and information
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days

I will post pics later.