TWISTOUT ON BLOWDRIED (50 weeks post relaxer) HAIR....

MummysGirl

I love twistouts and braidouts and they've really been a huge help during my transition (see my siggy pics)... As I got further into my transition (to natural hair) I started to notice my twistouts weren't as big as they used to anymore, this was because of shrinkage. I still loved the results but I like big hair...

Here is an example of my 'less big' twistout @ 40 weeks post:

I haven't blowdried my hair in over 2 years, I found I didn't need it to get nice results then when I decided to transition, I didn't want to damage my natural very-fine strands.... but after a lot of thought, I decided to blowdry and then flat twist...

I'll admit I didn't love the results but I know what I'll do next time - I'll leave the flat twists or cornrows in for longer than 4 hours and I should be fine.

I DC'd, cowashed... applied my leave in (Giovanni Direct) to my damp hair ans sectioned. I applied IC hair polisher heat protectant (thanks ladies for your help HERE) and took really small sections and blowdried (on the lowest heat setting) using the tension method. I didn't use a comb or brush as I was blowdrying, this was my hair after blowdrying:

It isn't a HUGE change from my results when I airdry in 3-4 ponytails but there was definitely less shrinkage of my new growth. My hair is longer than this when stretched but I'm not really bothered about the length of my hair anymore... I'll start monitoring that again when I'm all natural.

I flat twisted and bantu knotted the ends (applied a little lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol to each sections) and the result was:

A couple of hours, the curls fell (as expected after taking out flat twists after a really short time. I won't let this happen next time.):

It's funny, I wasn't happy cos I didn't get my usual defined twistout but my friends loved my hair :spinning:

I definitely got what I wanted: BIG HAIR :grin: I'm glad I tried this out... I'll stick to my flat twisting/cornrowing airdried hair but Braidouts/Twistouts on blowdried hair will be 'treats' for me (maybe once every 2 months).

HHG Ladies and enjoy what's left of your weekend!!!!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Your hair is so pretty, miss.:blush: I wish I could do the variety of styles you rock.:yep: I am trying to copy your style. Hope U don't mind.:wave:

MummysGirl

Your hair is so pretty, miss.:blush: I wish I could do the variety of styles you rock.:yep: I am trying to copy your style. Hope U don't mind.:wave:
:blush: Thanks so much!!! It's not copying :bighug:, I learned so much from the ladies here too :yep:

Very pretty. Love the look. How do you bantu knot just the ends?
I twist the ends and twist them round themselves to bantu knot them. I use a ponytail holder or hair pin to hold them in place.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
:congrats:MG! Beautiful Results and Your Hair Looks Extremely Healthy & Shiny. 50 Weeks Post!

WOW! You've almost made it a Year (2 More Weeks).

Very Inspiring to Those who seek to Transition. Thanks For Sharing Your Wonderful Progress and Your Hair Health.:grin:

MummysGirl

:yay: Thank you :)
Very pretty. You are doing a great job with your transition, too.

:blush: (x100) Thanks sooo much :grin:
Very pretty! I've always loved your twistouts and braidouts. :yep:

:bighug: Thank you!!!!!! :yahoo:
:congrats:MG! Beautiful Results and Your Hair Looks Extremely Healthy & Shiny. 50 Weeks Post!

WOW! You've almost made it a Year (2 More Weeks).

Very Inspiring to Those who seek to Transition. Thanks For Sharing Your Wonderful Progress and Your Hair Health.:grin:

darlingdiva

Very nice! I love the loose waves. I wish that I could get results from a flat twistout that I could actually wear in public.

pookaloo83

Very pretty! Where did you learn to flat two strand twist? I hope I can make it to 50 weeks. I'm only a measly 5 weeks post. I'm definitely going to copy this style later!

poookie

beautiful hair, & you seem to be breezing through your transition. very inspirational!!!

off to find a good flat twist-out tutorial :sekret: :lol:

MummysGirl

Thanks Ladies :grin:

I'll try to do one over the Xmas break... I tried to do one on braidouts a while back but I wasn't getting the right angles. I'll figure out where to place my camera for best results :yep:

I'll start with my wet, very shrunken hair, till final results... ofcourse I'll edit so that it won't be a 30 minute video :lachen:

Uh...you need to be doing a tutorial on this! That looks pretty good!

Ditto! Let us know when that tutorial is ready.:yep:

MummysGirl

Thanks Ladies!!!! I have been inspired by sooo many ladies here and on fotki! Early in my transition, I thought it'd be impossible to make it to one year. But I saw SO many ladies were able to transition for so long and I kept stalking and searching :sekret: Main thing is to find out what works for you and stick to it. My middle siggy style isn't the hottest style but it's a good way to give myself and my hair a break.

The transitioners support thread has been a huge help for me and still continues to be :yep:

I watched this video 2ce and knew how to flat twist! It's REALLY good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKugFF04jI

I really will work on a video tutorial...

Oh, I started this thread asking transitioners to share how they do (did) their styles, I have a couple of posts on the 1st page: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=413884&highlight=

Very pretty! Where did you learn to flat two strand twist? I hope I can make it to 50 weeks. I'm only a measly 5 weeks post. I'm definitely going to copy this style later!

beautiful hair, & you seem to be breezing through your transition. very inspirational!!!

off to find a good flat twist-out tutorial :sekret: :lol:

Last edited:

KiSseS03

Great job Mummysgirl you're so creative with your styles, I need to revisit twistouts and braidouts.