*~*What does overprocessed and underprocessed hair look like ? *~*

DangerouslyShy

I think my hair is either over processed or underprocessed....

But im not sure how they are characterized....

What does overprocessed hair look like compared to underprocessed?:confused:

Im confused...I just know I have a section of hair that looks nothing like the rest of my hair...and it is shorter than the rest...it has been growing tho...:look:

But if you could show me a pic or explain I would appreciate it!!

BAILEYSCREAM

Dshy,

I don't have any pictures but I'll try to explain.

Underprocessed hair looks and feels a little like natural hair. Basically the relaxer doesn't "take" because the hair is processed faster in some sections. So some parts would be processed well (straightened) while other parts retain the natural look. Obviously this makes the hair hard to deal with because the hair is in a bi-phase.
This can be caused if the hair is heavily coated with grease or dirt or if the hairs are different textures to begin with eg 3c hair would process a lot quicker than 4a because of the difference in curl pattern (I gave this example because that's your hair type and mine. Also, in this case, to get even processing all over you would need to start processing the coarsest hair first so that it can begin to process to catch up with the looser hair type.

Overprocessed hair looks quite thin, feels brittle and breaks easily because it's overdone.

Also, you can overcome this problem by using Roux Porosity Control Corrector & Conditioner when processing the hair.:)

What I do is I apply it to the hair once I've gone over the hair with the back of a rattail comb. I squeeze out a small amount all over the hair and apply it from roots to ends. I processed my mother's hair today and it came out even throughout.

You should try it. They have a shampoo too but this is optional IMO.:)

Last edited:

miracle

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Dshy,

I don't have any pictures but I'll try to explain.

Underprocessed hair looks and feels a little like natural hair. Basically the relaxer doesn't "take" because the hair is processed faster in some sections. So some parts would be processed well (straightened) while other parts retain the natural look. Obviously this makes the hair hard to deal with because the hair is in a bi-phase.
This can be caused if the hair is heavily coated with grease or dirt or if the hairs are different textures to begin with eg 3c hair would process a lot quicker than 4a because of the difference in curl pattern (I gave this example because that's your hair type and mine. Also, in this case, to get even processing all over you would need to start processing the coarsest hair first so that it can begin to process to catch up with the looser hair type.

Overprocessed hair looks quite thin, feels brittle and breaks easily because it's overdone.

Also, you can overcome this problem by using Roux Porosity Control Corrector & Conditioner when processing the hair.:)

What I do is I apply it to the hair once I've gone over the hair with the back of a rattail comb. I squeeze out a small amount all over the hair and apply it from roots to ends. I processed my mother's hair today and it came out even throughout.

You should try it. They have a shampoo too but this is optional IMO.:)

The Roux Porosity Control Corrector & Conditioner goes on while the relaxer is still in the hair or after it's been rinsed and neutralized?

BAILEYSCREAM

miracle said:
The Roux Porosity Control Corrector & Conditioner goes on while the relaxer is still in the hair or after it's been rinsed and neutralized?

Hi Miracle,

These are the instructions on the bottle:

Directions: Apply to damp hair before a chemical service. Leave in hair 30 seconds then rinse. Perform the chemical service (color, perm, relax, bleach). Can be used after a chemical service when additional conditioning is required.

Moisturizes, detangles, lusterizes. Helps create more uniform color, perm and relaxer results. Leaves hair natural looking, vibrant and manageable.

To be quite honest, I'm not about to wet my hair or rinse my hair before I process it. So, I put it on while the relaxer is chemical is still in the hair about a minute before I wash the chemicals out. I tried it on my mother's fine hair today and her hair came out just grand.:D

However, if you have any questions (as I'm not a hair expert;) ) you can call them on this toll free number 1-800-933-4303. Their website is: www.rouxblue.com:)

Last edited:

Angelicus

You can check out my "Throwback album" for overprocessed hair pics. My hair was so overprocessed that it could not even hold a curl. It would break all over the place, it even changed color :nono:

miracle

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Hi Miracle,

These are the instructions on the bottle:

Directions: Apply to damp hair before a chemical service. Leave in hair 30 seconds then rinse. Perform the chemical service (clor, perm, relax, bleach). Can be used after a chemical service when additional conditioning is required.

Moisturizes, detangles, lusterizes,. Helps create more uniform color, perm and relaxer results. Leaves hair natural looking, vibrant and manageable.

To be quite honest, I'm not about to wet my hair or rinse my hair before I process it. So, I put it on while the relaxer is chemical is still in the hair about a minute before I wash the chemicals out. I tried it on my mother's fine hair today and her hair came out just grand.:D

However, if you have any questions (as I'm not a hair expert;) ) you can call them on this toll free number 1-800-933-4303. Their website is: www.rouxblue.com:)

Thanks so much for the info!!!! I'm going to check into this product ASAP. :) :)

Jewell

When my hair was overprocessed (relaxer was applied to the ends of my hair) is was very frizzy, and broke off and shed no matter what I did. (I had to get it cut). When my hair is underprocessed, its wavy at the roots (my wave pattern is just loosened, not completely eliminated). A mild relaxer will get my hair bone straight, as long as it is smoothed properly.

DangerouslyShy

Ok thanks for the replies ladies...Im going to try and explain what my hair looks like...I would take a pic but my hair is cornrowed right now..plus you can only see it when its wet....

When its wet one section of my hair it looks really wavy, very little waves...the rest of my hair is pretty much texta-relaxed...relaxed ends and texturized roots...

the spots that are really wavy are spots I have had trouble with breakage...Im growing my color out and where my natural hair meets the color it totally broke off...so is maybe thats why its really wavy...and not the rest of my hair...because there are no relaxed ends on it...?:confused:

Im sorry if i make no sense....:lol:

BAILEYSCREAM

DangerouslyShy said:
Ok thanks for the replies ladies...Im going to try and explain what my hair looks like...I would take a pic but my hair is cornrowed right now..plus you can only see it when its wet....

When its wet one section of my hair it looks really wavy, very little waves...the rest of my hair is pretty much texta-relaxed...relaxed ends and texturized roots...

the spots that are really wavy are spots I have had trouble with breakage...Im growing my color out and where my natural hair meets the color it totally broke off...so is maybe thats why its really wavy...and not the rest of my hair...because there are no relaxed ends on it...?:confused:

Im sorry if i make no sense....:lol:

Ok Dshy,

It sounds as though you had an overlap of the chemicals to me.
Sounds like the area you're talking about is texturized (waves) and since you had a relaxer at some point (on your ends), during application of your texturizer the chemicals overlapped.
Sounds to me like you've had breakage where the two chemicals met, the relaxed hair has broken off. :yep:
It seems you have done a lot to your hair. Color, texturizer, relaxer.:spank:

You need to keep your hair treated, protein, deep conditioning to avoid further breakage.:)

Last edited:

DangerouslyShy

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Ok Dshy,

It sounds as though you had an overlap of the chemicals to me.
Sounds like the area you're talking about is texturized (waves) and since you had a relaxer at some point (on your ends), during application of your texturizer the chemicals overlapped.
Sounds to me like you've had breakage where the two chemicals met, the relaxed hair has broken off. :yep:
It seems you have done a lot to your hair. Color, texturizer, relaxer.:spank:

You need to keep your hair treated, protein, deep conditioning to avoid further breakage.:)
lol...

I did do alot...lol I had color around this time last year....and I was getting relaxers up until September of last year....thats when I started texturizing my newgrowth....

I have a beautician do my texturizer....so it sounds like she overlaps it? Should I stop going to her...?:confused:

Im too scared to do it myself...:perplexed

BAILEYSCREAM

DangerouslyShy said:
lol...

I did do alot...lol I had color around this time last year....and I was getting relaxers up until September of last year....thats when I started texturizing my newgrowth....

I have a beautician do my texturizer....so it sounds like she overlaps it? Should I stop going to her...?:confused:

Im too scared to do it myself...:perplexed

What's to say the next person won't overlap? However, if you're not happy with the service there you can always ask friends for stylist recommendations.:)

What you can tell her is that she should apply neutralizing shampoo to your processed ends. This would help if the chemicals overlap by neutralizing. Some relaxers actually have a pre rlaxer protection to help avoid this one relaxer (can't remember the name) has a product called Pretect for this purpose. Alternatively, you can stretch your touch-up so that you get lots of new growth so that it's easier to see where the new growth meets the processed hair. This would help to prevent or lessen the chances of overlapping.

Take a look at Southergirl's self relax tips but unless you've been self relaxing for a while it takes some practice. If you do decide to self relax, then get a friend to help you.:)

DangerouslyShy

BAILEYSCREAM said:
What's to say the next person won't overlap? However, if you're not happy with the service there you can always ask friends for stylist recommendations.:)

What you can tell her is that she should apply neutralizing shampoo to your processed ends. This would help if the chemicals overlap by neutralizing. Some relaxers actually have a pre rlaxer protection to help avoid this one relaxer (can't remember the name) has a product called Pretect for this purpose. Alternatively, you can stretch your touch-up so that you get lots of new growth so that it's easier to see where the new growth meets the processed hair. This would help to prevent or lessen the chances of overlapping.

Take a look at Southergirl's self relax tips but unless you've been self relaxing for a while it takes some practice. If you do decide to self relax, then get a friend to help you.:)
Thank you for the help...

I know she double bases my hair before relaxing....lol i guess that is so she doesnt burn my scalp;....

I might try stretchint for 6 months and than self relax...atleast i can see where my new growth is and the rest of my hair is....