Update! Transitioners

SoAnxious12

I know theres about a thousand posts on people transitioning but i'm too lazy to get an old one and there's been some newbies. So transitioners... come out out and tell everybody how youre doing (how much new growth), whether youre going to BC or do it the loooong way, how youre transitioning(braids,weaves,press), and why you went natural. /images/graemlins/weird.gif

Checking in
I am about 75% natural
I'm transitioning the long way with braids
Went natural because i love my natural curl and theres too many bad chemicals in relaxers.

Tai

I'm on my 6th month transitioning and I have about 4-5 inches of natural hair (I don't measure frequently). I'm planning on transitioning for 18-24 months or until my natural hair reaches my shoulders w/ shrinkage. I wear my hair in phonypony w/ the baggie method 5 days a week and I wear it down curly on the weekends. I'm transitioning because I primarly wear my hair curly now and my own curls behave better than my texturized ones and I feel like I'm finally able to embrace my hair's natural thickness.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I think Im going to relax now and transition to natural sometime later in life...I haven't had any problems and I'm not getting discouraged. I guess I just wanted to see how long I can go without a relaxer and see how much growth I achieved doing so. I have 3 months of new growth right now...the longest I ever waited! I might start the 6 month touch-up challenge after relaxing my hair Thursday.

LadyCapri

I have been transitioning since 6/04. I have 5 inches new growth. My curls/waves are not tight so I don't know how much shrinkage I will experience once the relaxed ends are totally off. I did a 2 inch trim a few days ago and I find that my hair is much healthier. I will be transitioning the long way. I wet my hair daily and do cond washes three times a week. I am going natural because my relaxed hair was very damaged no matter how much conditioning I did. Also, my natural hair texture is easier to maintain. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Transitioning since 18 June 2004 and will be doing a long transition with buns, cornrows under a wig(still looking for one), and minimal\occasional flatiron use. I don't measure my new growth because I will get too anxious to know how close I am to my mini chop goal, which will be nautral just below shoulder length. I choose to go natural because I miss my little waves,I am becoming obsessed with thick loose natural styles, I think I will have no problem managing my thick natural texture now that I have gained so much wonderful advice from the ladies at this forum.

SilkyandSmooth

Well, I've been transitioning for close to 5 months now and I plan on transitioning for about another 13 months. I have several inches of new growth (I've stopped measuring it).I don't press, weave or braid my hair. I just wear it in a ponytail. I decided to transition because I wanted my natural hair back. My relaxed hair really started to get on my nerves. I'm so glad I made the decision to go natural and I can't wait until the relaxed hair is gone.

SoAnxious12

Wow!Silky and Smooth what kind of ponytails? WIth your natural hair or phony ones? You ladies are making great progress.

I forgot to mention i've been transitioning since Feb.2004

Anymore transitioners/new naturals are welcome to post.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I've been transitioning for exactly one year now /images/graemlins/clap.gif
I think it is going a lot better now that I have a routine and now what products and what doesn't. I'm not a PJ anymore (most of the time /images/graemlins/look.gif) And honestly the last week has been the best since I JUST figured out that my hair does better being combed/detangled when it is dry with shea butter or some conditioner then being in the shower after it has been saturated due to shampoo/CW. I also JUST figured out that rinsing my scalp/hair every day is not practical and that my hair likes it better when I do a rinse every 2-3 days instead.

Finally, I transitioned because I just did not feel like putting burning chemicals in my hair anymore. I hated relaxing because even though I had tons of hair the was brastrap length, the burning never got better no matter the amount of time I would not scratch or put petroleum on every inch of my scalp. So I would end up with underprocessed hair most of the time.

jyonce

I am on month 5 of transisitioning. I have about 4 inches of new growth. I have decided to stop relaxing because originally I was just stretching out my relaxer, but the amount of growth I had from rinsing my hair and doing cond washes three to four times each week really has set the stage for incredible growth! I feel that my natural hair is so much healthier than my relaxed hair. And the sides of my hair are actually starting to grow in now, I think the relaxer was just killing the root! I am still searching for the perfect products and routine..but my hair is just easier to take care of.
Hair type: 3b/c
current length: 2 inches past shoulders
Trimming: 1-2inches every six months

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
I'm going on my 10th month of being relaxer free now... yay! /images/graemlins/weird.gif /images/graemlins/dance7.gif These snaps are getting on my last nerve...but I know it's only the relaxed hair breaking. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm chopping a little at a time, and doing daily conditioner washes to keep the natural new growth as moisturized as possible. I'm due for a much needed trim this month. As for styles...I'm buning it with a satin scrunchie for the most part. I still suffer from the dreaded hand in hair disease...so the bun doesn't stay in for long when I'm at home. I'm wokin on it though! The last time I measured...(begining of September)...I had about 4.5 inches of new growth...I'm sure it's around 5 inches now. This will put me at 6 inches for the year.

My main reason for transitioning is that I wanted to re-discover my natural hair texture. I wanted my hair to be strong and healthy...and I know being chemical free was the best way to start. /images/graemlins/up.gif Originally...I was on the relaxer stretch out challenge...but when I got to my 6th month...I decided to stretch on out of it all together! I am just loving these cottony curls.

Good luck to all of you ladies...and congrats to those of you that made it to one full year!

SilkyandSmooth

[ QUOTE ]
Wow!Silky and Smooth what kind of ponytails? WIth your natural hair or phony ones? You ladies are making great progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

My natural hair. I like to keep it nice and simple.

BLESSED1

I have about 5 inches of new growth; I got sick of putting chemicals in my hair and I like my curls & waves /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mariaat40

Just curious. I know we have type 4 natural heads but are there any type 4 transitioners? Everyone who has posted, and listed their hair type, has been a type 2 or 3 (with the exception of Poohbear, who is no longer transitioning).

jd_bdfly

Nurse98's siggie says she's a 4a/b. I'm a 4a/b, and I'm still transitioning. I'm at 11 months now. I don't know exactly how much new growth I have, but I think it's somewhere between 4 and 6 inches depending on which part of my head I look in.

I'm starting to get tired of transitioning, but I will stick with it for as long as I can, cause I don't know if I'm be able to make conservative enough styles for my law firm job with shortish natural hair. I've been bunning it mostly.

My biggest issues are breakage and detangling. I'm not that upset about breakage though because I know it's just the relaxed ends beging overpowered by the healthier relaxed part and it means that I'll have a head of all natural hair that much sooner. With the detangling I think I just need to learn how to me more patient and probably I should section my hair before I wash it.

whosthatgurl

here.... but i'm not here
oooh i like this. kind of like a testimony? lol. this is my second time transitioning. i have suceeded, but i gave in again. i started again oin jul of 2004. the a reas where my hair is growing is diffrent. i thnk i hagve at least 1-2 inches of new growth right now. i plan to do it the long wa. plus i want to get it cut in layers, maybe it'll help speed up the process but i doubt it. i a;so plan to get braids. i do my own flatbraids evry now and then. great thread!
oh and te reason why i did go natural, is because i'm tired of not having good hair, that i know how to keep up with.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious. I know we have type 4 natural heads but are there any type 4 transitioners? Everyone who has posted, and listed their hair type, has been a type 2 or 3 (with the exception of Poohbear, who is no longer transitioning).

[/ QUOTE ]

Like yours...my hair is also a 3C/4A mix. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I been at it since May of this year and I just removed some raids I had in for a month. My hair is unbelievably thick and I can tell that it has grown some, but it just LOOKS shorter. I am not sure if it is due to breakage/accidentally cutting my hair when I removed the braids (although when I took them out I do not recall seeing any of my real hair) OR if its because the new growth is so tight, thick, and kinky that it looks shorter OR if its cuz my relaxed ends are breaking off....I dunno! I am not ready for a trim...will wait til I get back to the states before I get a trim.

the most that i have gone without a relaxer is 4 months and before that, i would normally get one about every two months or so. I am going into my 6th month no without a relaxer and am already missing the straight hair...lol. But I will hang in there and cant wait for the end result.

BLESSED1

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a mix of 4a & 4b /images/graemlins/grin.gif

honeycomb719

Im transitioning, and Im 4a. This is also my 2nd time transitioning. Why? well, Ive just come to realize that my hair is not healthiest when relaxed, and I think I retain more length this way. I thought its was th opposite foe awhile, but since may switch back to relaxers this time, I watched my hair more closely, and thats seems to be the case for me. I have about 3inches of newgrowth.
Check my siggy for details. I'll be posting pics soon.
Wish me Luck!!!

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
I'm transitioning the loooooooong way.. I have no idea how to braid or twist or do anything like that.. so I basically CO wash my hair everyday..put in some leave ins..pull it back and put on my baseball hat..lol I wish I knew how to braid, etc. so that I could do twist outs, etc. I'll get some bigger magnetic rollers so that I can do rollersets and hopefully that will work.

The reason why I am transitoning is because, at first, I was just stretching out my relaxer(because I found this board and learned so many things about my hair I didn't know)..then after the new growth came in..I realized that I had curly hair.. I had no idea.. I've had a relaxer in my hair prolly since I was like 7-8 years old..and I'm 34 now! /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif My hair seems to be the complete opposite of what my mother said it was. /images/graemlins/pinocchio.gif I'll show her /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'm getting anxious for it to grow faster so that I can chop off the relaxed ends.. but I'm sure I'll wait at least Feb. to do that. It will be a year in Feb. that I will be transitioning. Maybe I can con my husband into flying me to Curve for my bday in April to have them do a BC and style my hair..that would be awesome!! I doubt that will happen though..LOL