Vacation in 3 weeks: What should I do w/ my hair?!

Whimsy

OK.
I'm going to be snorkeling, scubadiving, sailing, and sunning. My hair is going to take a beating!
My usual vacation look is wash n go. But now that i have almost 2 years worth of new growth I don't want to deal with tangles while on vacation.

The easy answer (and my DEAD LAST resort) is to just get some cornbraids and keep it moving... but I don't want that look for all of my vacation photos (trivial, yes, but i don't give a hoot).

So my question to you, dear LHCFers is, what else can I do?!

I thought of maybe getting my hair braided into some box braids, but I recently did a mini chop so the relaxed ends are even and won't hold a braid in....

Any options??? What would YOU do?

Maybe you can wear the cornrows and do braid outs on days you want a different look?

ETA: I just learned that coconut oil helps hair to resist the damage that can be caused from it swelling with water so definitely take some coconut oil and put it in your hair before you get in the water.

Last edited:
What about braidouts or flexi rod sets? Those are cute vacation styles :)

I would definitely suggest a curly textured sew-in (if you aren't opposed to weaves). I made the mistake of thinking that taking care of my hair during our trip to Cabo wouldn't be a big deal, but a few days into the trip, I regretted that decision and wished I'd opted for a weave or braids. hth!

Maybe you can wear the cornrows and do braid outs on days you want a different look?

If I knew how to cornrow my hair that would be an awesome option! I really have to learn, but I don't know how yet. :nono:

ETA: I just learned that coconut oil helps hair to resist the damage that can be caused from it swelling with water so definitely take some coconut oil and put it in your hair before you get in the water.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT guuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrlllll that's all i use on my hair. I'm OBSESSED with coconut oil...I didn't know this!!! :) i'm deeper in love with it now.

:lol: When I learned that I decided that I need to give coconut oil another try because I love the ocean and plan on being in it several times a week.

I feel you pain because I can't braid like that either but it sounds like your going to a tropical place so there should definitely be lots of braiders available. I work as a Concierge at a large hotel here and I set up braiding appointments all the time at salons and we have a few local girls who go right to the guests rooms. Maybe you could look into that and scedule it in advance to be extra sure.

:lol: When I learned that I decided that I need to give coconut oil another try because I love the ocean and plan on being in it several times a week.

I feel you pain because I can't braid like that either but it sounds like your going to a tropical place so there should definitely be lots of braiders available. I work as a Concierge at a large hotel here and I set up braiding appointments all the time at salons and we have a few local girls who go right to the guests rooms. Maybe you could look into that and scedule it in advance to be extra sure.

hmmm that sounds like another kind of service :spinning::)

I can see how yoou might think that way but it is usually little white girls getting the front of their hair braided. It is legit. Down here we have braiders at street festivals and at some beaches. It is a great way for the girls to make some extra money. I don't know what it is about white people/islands/braids it's like it makes them feel more authentic or something!

I'm going away too, and I've been asking myself the same question. I was thinking about doing 2 cornrows during the day for swimming/beach time, and then doing a wash in the late afternoon to get rid of the salt. I would re-braid on damp hair ( I hope the warm weather will help me out with superfast air-drying...) and then wear a fluffy braid out for the evening? I've been practicing at home, and I have to say my braid out skills are poor so this may not work. I also don't know what products would work best, but I may try it with some coconut oil....

I'm not going anywhere they have braiders (at least I doubt it very much), otherwise I think I might have done as you suggested VKB247 :(

Whimsy, can you do 2 big ("Indian" style) braids - that might look cute, and you might get a braid out from it?

Last edited:
Whimsey,

Make sure to take a big hat for during the day to cover your tresses from the sun. I would do the 2 big braids pinned up during the day (remember to load down with coconut oil) for swimming and such and then wash n go's or freshly washed braids at night. You can wait to do the serious detangling when you get home from vacation. Also, take along hair accessories, flowers and such, and at night you can co-wash to get the sea salt out, put coconut oil in and twist up into a bun and accessorize with a flower - all with little manipulation.

I'm going away too, and I've been asking myself the same question. I was thinking about doing 2 cornrows during the day for swimming/beach time, and then doing a wash in the late afternoon to get rid of the salt. I would re-braid on damp hair ( I hope the warm weather will help me out with superfast air-drying...) and then wear a fluffy braid out for the evening? I've been practicing at home, and I have to say my braid out skills are poor so this may not work. I also don't know what products would work best, but I may try it with some coconut oil....

I'm not going anywhere they have braiders (at least I doubt it very much), otherwise I think I might have done as you suggested VKB247 :(

Whimsy, can you do 2 big ("Indian" style) braids - that might look cute, and you might get a braid out from it?

Anything that requires braiding against the head I cannot do.

Your plan sounds good though.

We are going away later this month too.....but I cannot swim so my hair will be in pin curls.

I do agree with weave or braids. They are the most water friendly styles that I see on AA women on vacation.

I would do a half-wig or a 3/4-wig. I usually braid or flat-twist the front, but if that's not an option for you, you can slick the front of your hair back.

Be careful with weaves and swimming. You can end up with an ultra hugely horrible mess!

Also many warm places are also humid so you will probably find that your hair dries much slower than normal and if you are not used to humidity you will probably also find that your hair is frizzier or that it is harder to get the curl definition that you are used too. I think it is really important to learn about the climate of the place you are travelling to and how it differs from what you are used to.

Afro puff.........................after big chopping. JK :angeldevi

or fake afro puff with the rest of your hair pulled back into a bun. You can add flowers and colorful material for your pictures. Don't worry about detangling. You can just slick the front back or do 4 plats and pull those back.

Back