Vaseline Is Amazing!!!!!!!!

kblc06

Now I may add, my hair has NEVER EVER been a fan of grease or even many oils for that matter. I got the idea when I was at an aunt's house and had very few products and needed to slick my hair back. I dabbed a dollop on my ends to seal in the moisture after rinsing it because nothing else was available. After my most recent press & trim- I NEEDED to find a way to help preserve my ends and keep them from splitting. So after I washed I put my hair into six old school braids, added my moisturizer, a light oil (organics carrot tea tree oil), and sealed the ends with heated vaseline after my hair was braided.

Three days later with my hair still in the same braids (after hiding underneath a wig during the day), my hair is still moist (not damp), but soft and moisturized. I took down my braids to remove shed hair and apply my MT-my hair hasn't felt this good since I was 5. You know the type of texture that little kids with healthy virgin hair have? This is EXACTLY what it feels like! I didn't even have any splits (and yes I can find splits a few days after a very thorough trim. I think I've found a new staple :grin: plus its ridiculously cheap and easy to come by

kblc06

Vaseline is the main ingredient in most hair grease anyway. might as well go to the source

For some reason all the extra stuff in hair greases leave my hair feeling gritty, dry, and just plain dirty. I don't get this effect at all with vaseline:ohwell:

ambergirl

Now I may add, my hair has NEVER EVER been a fan of grease or even many oils for that matter. I got the idea when I was at an aunt's house and had very few products and needed to slick my hair back. I dabbed a dollop on my ends to seal in the moisture after rinsing it because nothing else was available. After my most recent press & trim- I NEEDED to find a way to help preserve my ends and keep them from splitting. So after I washed I put my hair into six old school braids, added my moisturizer, a light oil (organics carrot tea tree oil), and sealed the ends with heated vaseline after my hair was braided.

Three days later with my hair still in the same braids (after hiding underneath a wig during the day), my hair is still moist (not damp), but soft and moisturized. I took down my braids to remove shed hair and apply my MT-my hair hasn't felt this good since I was 5. You know the type of texture that little kids with healthy virgin hair have? This is EXACTLY what it feels like! I didn't even have any splits (and yes I can find splits a few days after a very thorough trim. I think I've found a new staple :grin: plus its ridiculously cheap and easy to come by

So did you heat up the Vaseline before you put it on?

kblc06

So did you heat up the Vaseline before you put it on?

Well I'm in a dorm, and my heater run's the length of my wall beside my bed, so I just put the jar on top of that :look:...:lachen:It had a pretty liquidy consistency but it was still rather firm

Barbara

Princess
All you have to do is add some oils to it, a few drops of your favorite perfume, and stir it. Make sure the oils are not solid. I let my oils and Vasoline sit on my stove while I’m cooking, then they turn into a liquid.

It’s just as good as anything else. I buy my Vasoline from the 99 Cents Store. This is just another inexpensive and effective product. Times are getting hard and money is tight, so we have to stretch every dollar. It’s all about “surviving” now during these tough economic times. :yep:

Last edited:

SunnyDelight

When I first started on LHCF there was a thread about vaseline and how amazing it is. Whenever I braid my hair after washing I always coat the ends with vaseline.

MrJohnsonsRib

All you have to do is add some oils to it, a few drops of your favorite perfume, and stir it. Make sure the oils are not solid. I let my oils and Vasoline sit on my stove while I’m cooking, then they turn into a liquid.

It’s just as good as anything else. I buy my Vasoline from the 99 Cents Store. This is just another inexpensive and effective product. Times are getting hard and money is tight, so we have to stretch every dollar. It’s all about “surviving” now during these tough economic times. :yep:

You are absolutely right about that. Times are too tough to have ineffective products.

ghanja

OMG, I just checked out Finally_Free's daughters hair and that girls hair is the insanely long. Seriously OMG!!! Congrats and wow

NYAmicas

Seeker
I started using vaseline again after reading Finally Free's post and someone had bumped an old thread about it. I put on a lot after washing my hair today and just covered it with a scarf-hope it comes out alright!

Mook's hair

and people on this board are always warning against using petrolatum. lol

Yes, I was just gonna say, it won't be long before the Mineral Oil and Petroleum hate club jumps on this thread. But I know so many Moms who've used straight Vaseline on their little girls hair for years and it always thrives.

I think I'm ready to make the return to Mineral Oil and Petroleum products myself. Especially during the winter. I recently read about coconut oil solidifying on the hair in cold weather and making the hair snap like a twig.

YIKES!:blush:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

When I first started on LHCF there was a thread about vaseline and how amazing it is. Whenever I braid my hair after washing I always coat the ends with vaseline.

Well, when I started LHCF, I saw so much info on the "dangers" of petrolatum and how people were into "natural" products. The thing is, if Vaseline is a by-product, then it's safe. They use it in the medical industry so what's the problem with it? It's like the best moisturizer known to man lol. I'm like the OP, most hair grease is very gritty to me, except Posner Bergamot. I use it occasionally for myself and quite often for my daughter's hair....yes, after washing. Seals in moisture like nothing else. No problems thus far. Yes, Vaseline is a miracle product. Posner's Bergamot ain't nuthing but Vaseline with some Bergamot drops in it lolol! :yep::yep::yep:

Naturallong81

Girl be happy you found something that works on your hair. And it's cheap! and you can use it all over your body i aint mad at ya. I'ma have to try melting some like that lady does when she press her daughter hair, i'm just to lazy right now.

PAPRIKA

I was just talking to a coworker the other day and asking her about her hair. She is fifty-ish with natural hair and wears it straight. I have never seen her puff up so I asked her how does she keep it so straight and she says she uses a hair dryer with a pic and then brushes vaseline into her hair. Her hir is always soft and silky. I think her texture is 3c,4a.

I thought that was only if you were applying it to your scalp. I should think that applying it to the ends of your hair is fine.

I was thinking the same thing, you just don't apply it to your scalp, but your hair would be fine, so you don't want to coat your scalp just your hair/ends......i'm starting to understand now.....off to Dollar General :yep:

Irresistible

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

it wont snap if you dont touch it and it softens right back up:yep:
Yes, I was just gonna say, it won't be long before the Mineral Oil and Petroleum hate club jumps on this thread. But I know so many Moms who've used straight Vaseline on their little girls hair for years and it always thrives.

I think I'm ready to make the return to Mineral Oil and Petroleum products myself. Especially during the winter. I recently read about coconut oil solidifying on the hair in cold weather and making the hair snap like a twig.

YIKES!:blush: