Vitamin and Water Challenge 2005 (long but full of info.)

foxybrownsugar

WesternEyes said:
Yesterday I gulped down alot of water. I think it's getting easier today. I got a huge headache because i didn't have my usual Coke and the water washed all the caffiene out my system. But at the last minute i had an 8oz glass Coke. Back to the H20! Yeah! What kind of benefits can i expect if i drink lots and lots of water?
Improves energy
Increases mental and physical performance
Removes toxins and wastes from the body
Skin will be healthy and glowing
Helps you lose weight
Reduces headaches and dizziness
Allows for proper digestion
Helps to keep you more alkaline

Re: I'd like to join too!

vitamin_rc said:
Vitamin is in my user name so it would make sense if I actually was consistent with taking them. I'm taking now: Women's One-A-Day w/Calcium & a separate 400IU Vitamin E capsule with it. The One-A-Day doesnt carry the laundry list dosage that has been listed in this thread but its a start......I hate taking pills. Can someone suggest a better brand? Used to use GNC-swallowing thos ehorse pills was the WORST. I also HATE water! I realize that I'm about 80% water but STILL......where is the taste. My grandmother would sit my down at the kitchen table when I was little.....set down a HUGE tumbler in front of me and basically told me that I couldn't have any snacks (and she kept that house STOCKED!)until I drank that water. So ...this is a deep-seated hatred for water. *lol* But I am getting better. On occassion I will drink a liter a day (forcefully so)...but I think I can do 2 liters a day...that's got to be 8 glasses....I think being summer, it really helps but the true test will come when the winter hits. Anyway-I'm up for it.....

OMG! I had almost the exact same expierence but with milk. My Aunt wouldn't let me go outside and play until I drank a 16 oz glass of milk. To this day, I HATE milk. Can't stand the taste of it. But I digress...LOL :lol:
I'm doing ok with my vitamins. I've been consistent for 2 weeks. I know i need to be patient with this but how long does it take to see the effects from taking vitamins?

lala

I actually purchased a Polar deluxe water dispenser that holds a 3 or 5 gallon water bottle. The owner's manual indicated that I can't dispense the water for 12 hours though, but I'll be back on track by tomorrow:fat:

Dare~to~Dream

I would love to join but I can't find a multi-vitamin in the form of a softgel, capsule, or even liquid that has a small amount of Vitamin A in it. I don't want to take too much of that..and unfortunately most of the ones I've seen has 10,000 IU and over! :eek: Also, when I am able to find something with small amounts of Vitamin A...they don't have enough of anything else like iron or zinc :(.

napgurl

Lanelle said:
I would love to join but I can't find a multi-vitamin in the form of a softgel, capsule, or even liquid that has a small amount of Vitamin A in it.

I totally understand your dilemma, but how about this. I know that Centrum liquid as vitamin A 2500 IU, but is off in other vitamins. Why not purchase this for now and let's work on getting you in the habit of taking vitamins first. Once you have the habit down then you can something better brand.

Remember the chart was the optimum, the doctors recognized there was no supplement out there that fit the chart exactly. Besides a little is often better than nothing. I know my energy is increasing daily. Write the forum back and let your challenge team know your decision. ;)

napgurl

lala said:
I actually purchased a Polar deluxe water dispenser that holds a 3 or 5 gallon water bottle. The owner's manual indicated that I can't dispense the water for 12 hours though, but I'll be back on track by tomorrow:fat:
Water at your finger tips. Great.

napgurl

Re: I'd like to join too!

karmelsassy said:
I know i need to be patient with this but how long does it take to see the effects from taking vitamins?
I hear different time ranges from different people, but I think it depends on how vitamin deprived your body was to start with. If you’re a little off then benefits might not be realized right away. I turned 40 this year so I'm in dire need of supplementation. :lachen: And I've noticed immediate results in my energy.

But let's not focus on looking for results, because the beauty is in the prevention. How can we tell how many times our immune system was able to ward off a virus or rid the body of a cancer cell -- there is no way to tell in the short run, but as time passes we realize our energy is vibrant and we aren't sick and our nails and hair are strong.

I hope you do see many short-term benefits, but hopefully this habit will work even better for your long-term goals. :)

napgurl

Welcome vitamin_rc, Lanelle and MzTami. Thanks for joining the challenge. Now go and drink some water. :D

MzTami

Hellerrrr
mscolwhite said:
Welcome vitamin_rc, Lanelle and MzTami. Thanks for joining the challenge. Now go and drink some water. :D

I'm drinking.. :cheers: Anyway, my vitamin has Vitamin A 3000IU. Cannot find one with less, unless it's lacking others. Is this okay for now???

Last edited:

napgurl

MzTami said:
I'm drinking.. :cheers: Anyway, my vitamin has Vitamin A 3000IU. Cannot find one with less, unless it's lacking others. Is this okay for now???

Absolutely. That's not off by much at all.

vitamin_rc

Water!!!???? Oh man!!! 36oz today :(...maybe I can do 12 more before I go to bed......does Cranberry Juice count? (just kiddin')

napgurl

vitamin_rc said:
Water!!!???? Oh man!!! 36oz today :(...maybe I can do 12 more before I go to bed......does Cranberry Juice count? (just kiddin')
Try this. Dilute your cranberry juice for now half cranberry juice and half water. Adding a little flavor to your water isn't bad in my opinion. . Try to get 16 oz pure water/per day and dilute the rest with cranberry juice. I hear water is an acquired taste so, as weeks go bye add one glass of pure water per week and one less diluted glass.

Nita81

JaneBond said:
is it too late for me to join?

No not at all.

Hey since it's near the end of the month....this will get us prepared to go full force(the challenge) for October!! I got some bottled water last night(our filter broke) and ordered new multi-vitamins since the ones I have are only going to last 1 week.

Well I'm off to take 2....

Nita81

JaneBond said:
is it too late for me to join?

No not at all.

Hey since it's near the end of the month....this will get us prepared to go full force(the challenge) for October!! I got some bottled water last night(our filter broke) and ordered new multi-vitamins since the ones I have are only going to last 1 week.

Well I'm off to take 2....

aquarian1252004

For the ladies that despise drinking water, another way to add flavor to your water is with Crystal Light. It has no sugar, no carbs, no fat, and is only 5 calories per serving. It comes in many different flavors and is a great way to help gulp your water down. While I love water, sometimes when I'm not in the mood for I will mix in a little crystal light to ease up the drinking process and add a little flavor.

Now, I'm checking in for the challenge, I have to admit while I took my vitamins on Saturday I did not drink much water and I went out and had a couple of drinks which I know dehydrated my body, so today I have to double up on the water :perplexed . Off to take my daily dose.

foxybrownsugar

How is everyone doing on the challenge? Today at lunch I ate a gigantic salad at sweet tomatoes (the mostly vegetarian restaurante). I had spinach, romaine,eggs, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, black olives, cheese, zucchini strips, with house vinegarette (sp?) and beets (something new for me) on the side & they werent as bad as i imagined. I also had a half bowl of tomato soup....AND a small dish of cantaloupe and oranges. So today i will be skipping the vitamins. I had 2 full glasses of water with lemon (love it with lemon!) I am still so full & highly doubt i will eat anything else today. I will drink more lemon water later though. I'm going out to get some lemons from the market in awhile. :)

So far so good! I took a hand full of vitamins and washed it down with a gallon of water (I wish!!!). My water intake is good (could be better) and I'm still consistant with my vitamins.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Checking in...I don't drink that much water at work,because I will be in the bathroom all day. But when I get home, I make up for it..Currently drinking
64 to 96ozs of water per day! :yay:

lala

MzTami said:
Checking in...I don't drink that much water at work,because I will be in the bathroom all day. But when I get home, I make up for it..Currently drinking
64 to 96ozs of water per day! :yay:

You are doing some serious gulping then, if you start drinking after work. Are you up all night as a result?

vitamin_rc

I had a major setback....Does anyone here tummy gets irritated from a multivitamin? I may have to go back to the chewable! I have been violently ill (well...I am being dramatic)...with a tummy ache for the past two days so I haven't been power gulping but I can maybe knock back 36oz tonight. Hey I'm a light-weight!!!

foxybrownsugar

vitamin_rc said:
I had a major setback....Does anyone here tummy gets irritated from a multivitamin? I may have to go back to the chewable! I have been violently ill (well...I am being dramatic)...with a tummy ache for the past two days so I haven't been power gulping but I can maybe knock back 36oz tonight. Hey I'm a light-weight!!!
Vitamins should be taken 30-45 min. after a meal with water. Never on an empty stomach!

napgurl

ChocoKitty said:
I know I'm late but I wanna join. I haven't taken my vits consistently in a while.
Welcome. -- require this of yourself. No LHCF until I take my vitamin and drink atleast 1/2 daily water requirement. ;)

ChocoKitty

mscolwhite said:
Welcome. -- require this of yourself. No LHCF until I take my vitamin and drink atleast 1/2 daily water requirement. ;)
Dang! That's a bit extreme but I'll try it..:look:

Crystalicequeen123

Count me in!! :up: :up:

I'm taking GNC's Hair Skin and Nails. I've been taking them off and on for about 2 months, and I've been seeing good results with my nails! They dont' break or chip as often, and they're growing pretty fast. Haven't really seen the results with my hair just yet, but then again, I haven't had a relaxer in almost 3 months, so it's hard to tell.

To drink more water I buy cheap deer park bottled water at wal-mart in crates, and store the crates of water in my garage. That way, when I go to work or class in the morning, I take two bottles of water with me, and drink during the day. :)

I'll be continuing to take my GNC hair skin and nails because I've been looking online and women (white women included--yes, we're not the only ones who take vitamins for hair growth!) have been saying that they have seen an increase in hair growth and nail growth from taking the pills. They say it takes at least 3 months for a vitamin to be in your system before you see any real drastic results though. So ladies...don't give up! You might not see instant results in 3 weeks, but if you keep taking the vitamins in your system for at least 3 months, you might see some REALLY good results! :D

Last edited:

MissYocairis

Count me IN. I am so disgusted with my bad water/vit habits right now! :cry3: :violin:
I have truly fallen off the wagon! :beer5: If I drank half as much water as I do beer, well, let's just say, I might be sporting arm-pit length right now instead of being stuck at shoulder! :burn: I am dry as the sahara and malnourished to BOOT! :bdance: *smh* My pledge for myself is minimum 1 liter of water per day. On the vits, I'm doing a multi, a hair multi and fingerprinted horsetail daily plus powdered MSM 3x per week and powdered protein mix 3-4 times per week. I am going to try and stick to this daily without fail for at least 6 months. :lick: I'll never get to brastrap nor waistlength clowning around all the time. :( Time to get down to business!