Vitamin Challenge

inthepink

I am planning to do a 4 month vitamin challenge to see if they really make a difference in my hair health and growth rate. Would anyone like to join me? Here are the rules:

• Must begin taking at least one vitamin or adding/switching a vitamin to a current vitamin regimen
• Must follow whatever frequency you set for yourself for each vitamin (one a day, two a day, alternate vitamins alternate days, whatever)
• Must keep dosage the same throughout the challenge (no upping dosages, but decreases are ok)
• No hair growth measuring until the end of the 4th month
• Post vitamin regimen and the date you’ll start the challenge.

At the end of the 4 months, you can measure and see if there’s a growth difference or texture change or just healthier hair.

Just to note, I am not encouraging anyone to begin taking tons of vitamins that could potentially be unhealthy for you. You can do this challenge even if you simply want to try taking a Flintstone’s chewable multi-vitamin! I did lots of research for my own vitamin regimen to make sure I’m not taking too much of anything and additionally, I won’t be starting them all at once. I’ll start with the basics and add on each week to determine if there are any negative reactions. Feel free to modify my rules for your situation!

So, who’s interested?

inthepink

I will be starting the challenge on October 4th. I will be taking the following vitamins:

Week 1
GNC Hair, Skin, and Nails (2x a day)
Puritan's Pride Multi-Day Plus Minerals (1x a day)
GNC Flaxseed Oil (1x a day)

Mid-Week 1
Puritan's Pride B-50 Complex (1x a day)

Week 2
Puritan's Pride MSM 500mg (1x a day)

Mid-Week 2
GNC Silica 11mg (1x a day)

CrownnGlori

Ok I think I'm in Hairlove. I was just starting this on my own. I'll get it all organize by the $th. I already know I'm taking msm for the joints, (started a week ago). Also I have a Multivitamin system that has A to Z then Sea kelp to boot. Tons of water and it on!

Isis

This should be interesting. We will be our own experiment see what really effects our hair growth. I've done almost all of these for a long time, but recently added MSM and Biotin. I'm in starting Oct. 1.

Daily vitamins:

NOW MSM 2000 mg
NOW Vitamin C 1000 mg
Spectrum Flaxseed Oil 1- 2 tbls
Standard Process Iron
NOW Biotin 2000 mcg
Solaray B-100
Country Life Calcium/Magnesium Complex 1000mg-500mg (2 tablets)
Twin Labs B-12 sublingual 1000 mcg
NOW Spirulina 3g
Lots of water

Peachtree

Hey Hairlove

I'm in...

Here's my info....

- Flintstone's Chewable Multi Vitamin (daily)
- Country Life Biotin (3 mg daily)

4 mths u say
.... I think I can; I think I can (just need to psych myself up for the ~daily~ challenge
)

Ok, I'm ready

My start date is Sunday, Oct 5th

Tebby1017

I think I can....I'm out of hair vitamins for the moment, but since we have until the fourh, I have some time to get some more.

Tebby

Ipanema

I'm in, too. My daily vitamin intake will be:

One A Day Women's multivitamin
1000mg MSM

I actually started Sept. 1st after I gave myself a haircut. I got over 1 inch of growth last month, so I'm curious to see if this continues.

dominicana

I'm in too!! I don't take my vitamins consistently so maybe this challenge will help!

I'm taking
GNC Nourishair 1 caplet twice a day
Biotin 1000 mcg a day
cod liver oil 1 caplet twice a day
evening primrose oil 1 caplet twice a day
one protein shake once a day

tekmommie

I'm in too. I will start on Sunday as well. I will post my vitamin regimen then, because I have no idea what it will be.

pookeylou

Count me in:

GNC Mega woman without iron...two pills once a day
GNC Nourishair two pills once a day.
Coenzyme Q10 200 mgs once a day

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
[ QUOTE ]
tekmommie said:
I'm in too. I will start on Sunday as well. I will post my vitamin regimen then, because I have no idea what it will be.

[/ QUOTE ] DITTO

soslychic

I'm in!
I'll start today (october 1)
I'm taking
*Spring Valley Multi Daily
*PP Biotin 5mg daily (until it runs out, then I'm switching to freeda)
*I'll add gnc msm the beginning of december
*lots of water
*increased protein (but no shakes or anything)

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Count Me in too!

No MSM for me..I am allergic to sulfur!
One a Day Women's (1 daily)
Vitamin Shop Skin hair and nails (3 daily)
L-Cysteine (2250 mg)
Vitamin C (double the l-cystein dose)
Biotin(12 mg)
Plenty of extra chicken and fish, water and exercise

I already take the biotin and one a day vitamin vitamins.
I will start taking the others on Friday.

soulchild

I'm in. Starting the 1st
1 Multi
Evening Primrose Oil 3000 mg
Flaxseed Oil 2000 mg
Will add MSM and B-complex as well

inthepink

Yay to all of those joining me! This should be fun! Sometimes it's hard to remember to take the vitamins so this should be a good motivator.
Does anyone know how long it typically takes for a shipment from Puritan's Pride? I ordered on Sunday but I never got a shipping confirmation...only an order confirmation.

Michelle79

I'm in!! I currently take:
1 Centrum multi-vitamin
2000mg Evening Primose Oil
1000mg Flaxseed Oil
1000mg Vitamin C

Question- how do you measure your hair? Is there something you can buy or can I use tape measure?

inthepink

I think everyone measures differently...
Since I'm transitioning, I typically only "measure" my new growth. I just use a ruler.

pookeylou

Dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet...but make sure you do a test on your vitamins to make sure they are being digested in time and thus absorbed.

Take a glass of water.
A teaspoon of vinegar.
Drop in your vitamin.
If it is not dissolved or considerably broken apart...you are not digesting it and it is simply passing through your system...a nutritionist told my husband and I that.

Starr

I'm in also. I'll post my regimen on Sunday. Thanks dontspeakdefeat for mentioning MSM is sulfur. I'm allergic also... resulting in hives. I hear so many rave reviews about the product, but never asked what it contained.

miss_brown

Great idea!

Starting October 1, I'm in with the following:

Solgar VM Multi Vitamin
PP Biotin 4000mcg
PP MSM 3000mg

If this stuff doesn't work this time, I'm giving up on the vitamin thing and just knocking my intake down to a multi. Good luck everybody!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
Starr said:
I'm in also. I'll post my regimen on Sunday. Thanks dontspeakdefeat for mentioning MSM is sulfur. I'm allergic also... resulting in hives. I hear so many rave reviews about the product, but never asked what it contained.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am glad I mentioned that. You are probably not the only one who didn't know. Sulfur allergies are common among women. So please if any of you ladies don't know if you are allergic to sulfur please note if anything strange is happening after taking a dose. Some of the symptoms are swelling, itching and hives. Hopefully this is not the case.

BlkHoneyLuv2U

Hey, I want in on this too. I will start on the 5th of October. I am currently taking 5000 mcg pp biotin, 1 tablespoon pp flax seed oil and 2 vitimin B-complex on a daily basis. I am adding evening primrose oil and msm on the 4th. So I'll say my start day will be the 5th. I dont know the dosage yet but will post that later, unless someone can give me advice on recommended dosage. waiting to hear.

tekmommie

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
Dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet...but make sure you do a test on your vitamins to make sure they are being digested in time and thus absorbed.

Take a glass of water.
A teaspoon of vinegar.
Drop in your vitamin.
If it is not dissolved or considerably broken apart...you are not digesting it and it is simply passing through your system...a nutritionist told my husband and I that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! I didn't know this.

miss_a

Great idea! I'm in....Just one quick question--which vitamin company is the best (is there even a such thing?), e.g., freeda better than solgar better than now better than twin lab better than puritan pride?

Thank you

A.