Waist Length Challenge 2015

sweethoney

I'm in! I'm currently 4 inches away from that goal (BSL) with face framing layers. By the time my MBA courses begin in August 2015 my hair will touch my waist line.

Visualization:

I picture myself on the first day of grad school orientation wearing a crisp white blouse, a black pencil skirt, and nude Christian Louboutin slingback pumps. I'm accessorized with an Akoya pearl necklace and matching stud earrings while my jet black, center parted hair swings down my back. I take a seat in the front row at orientation and thank God for allowing me to accomplish these goals, in His perfect order.

Last edited:

greenandchic

Great progress, NaturalfienD; thanks for sharing!

Tonight I used my Carol's Daughter Monoi line (shampoo & conditioner) because I needed a light protein treatment. This time I left the conditioner in for the suggested 3-5 minutes instead of 15 and my hair was super soft, yet strong.

I will probably do a little dusting next week.

NaturalfienD

Awesome progress NaturalfienD. Keep on truckin'! :yay:

NaturalfienD I love to see results over time! Your growth is wonderful. You make me what to decide what my next PS is!

Congrats on the great progress NaturalfienD I enjoyed reading your update, now I'm wondering what I can do to step up my game, I want to try MSM and collagen.

Awesome progress NaturalfienD!!

Great progress, NaturalfienD; thanks for sharing!

:kiss: Thanks for the love ladies! :kiss:

Angel of the North

I'm having a good hair week, I've been using my hair bonnet at night, PS'ing, with little/no manipulation, keeping up my moisture levels and taking my priteva capsules. I've been doing some light research on collagen and MSM powders, I would like to include them in my regimen I need to go and look for some fenugreek seeds and leaves/tea too, I think those additions will make a big difference, WL here I come!

loulou82

I think I'll shampoo wash tomorrow. I made an oil mix of argan, pumpkin, jojoba, almond, grapeseed and avocado that I want to try out. Lengthwise, I have some sections in my crown stretching to 16 inches. Woot!

krissyhair

I think I'll shampoo wash tomorrow. I made an oil mix of argan, pumpkin, jojoba, almond, grapeseed and avocado that I want to try out. Lengthwise, I have some sections in my crown stretching to 16 inches. Woot!

Is it real argan oil or an argan based product?

rawsilk

Can I still join???

My stats:

Roller set once a week,
Texlaxed last year but texture is increasingly straighter so might transition to natural,
Use kitchen, high-end and cheapo Dominican products,
Over 40,
Mainly 3C,
Bunning like a baker,
Just above APL,
Raw foods (most of the time),
Seaweed "enthusiast,"
Ghee Butter infused with almond and Fenugreek pre-poos,
Fan of Sweet Almond Oil,
About to purchase a steamer,
Henna/Yogurt when I feel like it,
Hard proteins every other week,
Biggest challenge - hairline & shorter "part" section from weave leave-out
Longest length ever reached was just about WL several years (and mishaps) ago.

Finally hitting hair-(re)growth stride (no small task post 40).

Last edited:

rawsilk

How are you all using SAA? -- have never used it before. Also, someone on here said they liked something better than SAA but now I can't find their post. Fenaxa -- how do you like Helichrysum (sp) and how are you using it -- I have some for derma roller / SM use but forgot how/why it is good for hair.

Fenaxa

rawsilk
I was using SAA mixed in a floral water (Helichrysum) I bought off of New Directions Aromatics (will not be ordering from them again smh). It definitely made the finer parts of my hair feel softer but the coarser areas got a little hard after a while. Looking at other peoples' reviews on SAA, I think you should definitely at least try it, but it certainly didn't make my hair feel as soft and smooth as Irish moss.
Oh, by the way, another reason I stopped using the SAA, was because of the floral water I mixed it in. I got severe headaches after applying it. I'd actually spritz my face after washing it and even that would immediately trigger a headache. I went on the website and looked at what was in the floral water, and it was some defoamer, etc... I don't know.
My version of floral water now is just mixing water and essential oil. As for the Helichrysum itself, it was too sweet smelling for me. Think, warm honey mixed with a subdued cup of freshly brewed tea cooling in a window overlooking a view of the hill country :lol:. The essential oil is regenerative and good for circulation among other things. Both of those alone can work for skin and hair quite well.
Onto the Irish moss, I love it much more than SAA (although I will give it one more try), because it brings out the curls, makes my hair touchable without being "wet" or greasy, and it's just cool in general. I love the way it jiggles in the jar I have for it after it's 'made' LOL.
Right now, I'm going *almost* cold turkey on any already made products. I'm trying to find products that really work for me that are all natural (like Shea butter, olive oil, etc.) so that in the future, I can look at ingredients on commercial products and guestimate how well it will work for me based on what's in it.

rawsilk

Wow - okay, must be talking about something diff or maybe it's the mixture or the manufacture -- the Helichrysum (SP) oil I got has a funky, sneaker in the back of the closet smell - NOTHING like flowers or honey. I love Irish Moss as an additive to smoothies in order to make them taste more like pudding/soufle -- hadn't thought of adding to hair products - hmmmmm - thanks for that. If you are trying to incorporate more natural products, I highly recommend mixes that use Ghee Butter (moisture pre poo), yogurt (strength and frizz taming) and egg yolks (shine).
@rawsilk
I was using SAA mixed in a floral water (Helichrysum) I bought off of New Directions Aromatics (will not be ordering from them again smh). It definitely made the finer parts of my hair feel softer but the coarser areas got a little hard after a while. Looking at other peoples' reviews on SAA, I think you should definitely at least try it, but it certainly didn't make my hair feel as soft and smooth as Irish moss.
Oh, by the way, another reason I stopped using the SAA, was because of the floral water I mixed it in. I got severe headaches after applying it. I'd actually spritz my face after washing it and even that would immediately trigger a headache. I went on the website and looked at what was in the floral water, and it was some defoamer, etc... I don't know.
My version of floral water now is just mixing water and essential oil. As for the Helichrysum itself, it was too sweet smelling for me. Think, warm honey mixed with a subdued cup of freshly brewed tea cooling in a window overlooking a view of the hill country :lol:. The essential oil is regenerative and good for circulation among other things. Both of those alone can work for skin and hair quite well.
Onto the Irish moss, I love it much more than SAA (although I will give it one more try), because it brings out the curls, makes my hair touchable without being "wet" or greasy, and it's just cool in general. I love the way it jiggles in the jar I have for it after it's 'made' LOL.
Right now, I'm going *almost* cold turkey on any already made products. I'm trying to find products that really work for me that are all natural (like Shea butter, olive oil, etc.) so that in the future, I can look at ingredients on commercial products and guestimate how well it will work for me based on what's in it.

Last edited:

Fenaxa

Wow - okay, must be talking about something diff or maybe it's the mixture or the manufacture -- the Helichrysum (SP) oil I got has a funky, sneaker in the back of the closet smell - NOTHING like flowers or honey. I love Irish Moss as an additive to smoothies in order to make them taste more like pudding/soufle -- hadn't thought of adding to hair products - hmmmmm - thanks for that. If you are trying to incorporate more natural products, I highly recommend mixes that use Ghee Butter (moisture pre poo), yogurt (strength and frizz taming) and egg yolks (shine).

:lol: @ funky sneaker in the back of the closet.
Did you get a therapeutic grade essential oil? It definitely shouldn't smell like that. I don't know if you should use that one if that's what it smells like. There's many different species of Helichrysum but only a few can be used for essential oils and depending on where/who you buy the essential oil from, it might contain a substitute from a different species of the plant or a completely different oil altogether. Plus, if you get a higher grade oil, you'll receive more of the benefits (healing, etc.) from it.
I heard of adding Irish Moss to food initially. That does interest me; I'm thinking of trying it, especially in a smoothie. I guess I was concerned it would make whatever I put it in smell kind of fishy or taste salty.
Ooooh, I've never heard of Ghee butter. Is it soft? I'll try the yogurt (strawberry, I'm assuming.. jk lol) and egg yolk on my next wash day. I'm gonna look into this Ghee butter for sure.

rawsilk

The funny thing is, everything I've read about that oil says that you have to "tone down" the smell with something like Rose seed oil etc. I dunno - go figure. Anywho, as long as you rinse the Irish Moss really well and let it sit in water for a while etc. (according to package instructions), it won't smell fishy. Yeah girl Ghee is the business -- Google it in the context of Indian and Ethiopian hair butters. (Whenever groups of people with notoriously beautiful hair use something, I'm gonna investigate LOL)

:lol: @ funky sneaker in the back of the closet.
Did you get a therapeutic grade essential oil? It definitely shouldn't smell like that. I don't know if you should use that one if that's what it smells like. There's many different species of Helichrysum but only a few can be used for essential oils and depending on where/who you buy the essential oil from, it might contain a substitute from a different species of the plant or a completely different oil altogether. Plus, if you get a higher grade oil, you'll receive more of the benefits (healing, etc.) from it.
I heard of adding Irish Moss to food initially. That does interest me; I'm thinking of trying it, especially in a smoothie. I guess I was concerned it would make whatever I put it in smell kind of fishy or taste salty.
Ooooh, I've never heard of Ghee butter. Is it soft? I'll try the yogurt (strawberry, I'm assuming.. jk lol) and egg yolk on my next wash day. I'm gonna look into this Ghee butter for sure.

Fenaxa

The funny thing is, everything I've read about that oil says that you have to "tone down" the smell with something like Rose seed oil etc. I dunno - go figure. Anywho, as long as you rinse the Irish Moss really well and let it sit in water for a while etc. (according to package instructions), it won't smell fishy. Yeah girl Ghee is the business -- Google it in the context of Indian and Ethiopian hair butters. (Whenever groups of people with notoriously beautiful hair use something, I'm gonna investigate LOL)

Haha from what I've smelled of that essential oil, that's exactly what's needed; something to tone it down. You're lucky not to have one with a super strong smell lol.
Wait so do I add the actual moss or the gel it creates to a smoothie? I feel slow when it comes to this.. The first night I used the moss in my hair I was up there with heaps of warm moss just sitting on my head under a plastic bag thinking, How is this even supposed to work? That was before I realized that the liquid you boil it in is useable lol.
Alright. Ghee Butter, sold! *wipes sweat and puts burning card down* Just when I think I don't need (yes, need) anything else for my hair, I find that I'm missing out on something else. I ordered the butter; can't wait to use it. Thanks for telling me about this! It really looks promising. I read that you can use it on skin too as a moisturizer.. I wonder if it works better than Shea butter for that.. Will be trying that out as well:look:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Hi ladies. Still chillin in these braids. :ohwell: They look ratty...can't wait to take them out next week. Not sure if I will keep up the Crown & Glory method. My typical regimen of twist updos, detangling and washing weekly helped me retain. I wanted to go extra hard to see if I retain more, but I don't know if I will.

loulou82

Froreal3 Why do you want to end the Crown and Glory Method? Are you losing hair in the process? Your original regimen sounds solid.

My update... Shampoo wash day is becoming an event. Thankfully I only do it once per month.

Pre-poo'd and finger de-tangled with new oil mix
DC on dry hair with AO GPB
Shampooed with diluted Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo
DC'd under dryer with NG Condish mixed with hemp and sunflower oil
ACV rinsed
Used SD Wheatgerm Butter Condish as leave in
Sealed with herbal oil mix and PBN Cupuacu Butter
Chunk twists

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
loulou82 So far no real reason other than I like to use my products...especially my dcs. I still dc, but it just aint the same on braids. I also like to detangle on wash day and check out my hair. After I take out these braids next week, I'll put in some twists for a couple weeks to see where my mind is at about it.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Finally finished filing my taxes. I think I'll treat myself to some: avocado oil, walnut oil, hemp seed oil & mango butter:)

krissyhair

How are you all keeping track of each other's hair journeys? This thread gets overwhelming sometimes. Think of how many pages it will be by 2015.

krissyhair

Well, this is how I took care of my hair this week. I used the entire line of John Frieda Root awakening products, the shampoo, conditioner and leave-in spray called lift and refresh root spray. It's a good line. My grandma gave it to me. I combed almost daily with water, coconut oil and a wide tooth comb. Then today I co-washed with Curls Coconut Sublime conditioner and used oil as my leave-in.

Tonight I twisted my hair and will wet it in the morning with a spray bottle to style.

NGraceO

How are you all keeping track of each other's hair journeys? This thread gets overwhelming sometimes. Think of how many pages it will be by 2015.

What do you mean by keeping track?

I think the more active you are in the thread, the more you remember/ know what's going on with everyone:)

NGraceO

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint

I'm used to being part of long threads. It will be super, super long. WL 2013 had one going on since 2011. The more you read ppl's posts, the more you remember. Like, "Oh yeah, didn't she color recently?" I don't intentionally keep track though. krissyhair

rawsilk

My hair doesn't like Shea Butter or anything with that in it. It likes any kind of dairy though -- yogurt, goat's milk, egg yolks, etc. Even if you don't like dairy, you will love the Ghee Butter pre-poo once you get the hang of it -- a little goes a long way and it gets MES-SY. If you infuse the oil with almonds (India) and Fenugreek (Mid East), you will like it even more. If you want inspiration, just Google "Liya Kedebe Model Ethiopia Hair Butter."
Haha from what I've smelled of that essential oil, that's exactly what's needed; something to tone it down. You're lucky not to have one with a super strong smell lol.
Wait so do I add the actual moss or the gel it creates to a smoothie? I feel slow when it comes to this.. The first night I used the moss in my hair I was up there with heaps of warm moss just sitting on my head under a plastic bag thinking, How is this even supposed to work? That was before I realized that the liquid you boil it in is useable lol.
Alright. Ghee Butter, sold! *wipes sweat and puts burning card down* Just when I think I don't need (yes, need) anything else for my hair, I find that I'm missing out on something else. I ordered the butter; can't wait to use it. Thanks for telling me about this! It really looks promising. I read that you can use it on skin too as a moisturizer.. I wonder if it works better than Shea butter for that.. Will be trying that out as well:look:

rawsilk

myfaithrising How are you liking the Phyto treatment? I purchased at same time as Nioxin but can't tell which is working. I read that Phyto helps hair grow in softer as compared to Nioxin which can be drying. Time to re-order but refuse to purchase both again. Thoughts? Results?
I am so in this challenge, WL here I come !!!!:grin:

Ultimate Goal: Waist length *crosses fingers*

Goal Month: December 2015

Regimen: Full wash and DC with heat once per week. Prepoo before washing. Oil rinsing after deep conditioning with ceramide oils

I have to get a protein regimen together, right now I shoot for once per month but I think I'll go to twice a month, my hair actually likes protein.

I clip my ends after I twist when they start looking straggly.

I use the LLLOC - after my hair is partially towel dried, I do a tea rinse, add a leave in (ph'd to close dem cuticles), then I add a moisturizer, then an oil, then a cream.

How many inches do you have to go to get to WL:

I have about 10" to go before I'm WL, I'll need until the very last day of the challenge to squeeze that out.

Natural/Relaxed/Other: (OPTIONAL) doesn't matter to me, I love it all...

Au Natural

Tips/Tricks:I just bought a phyto treatment for thinning hair so I hope that helps - I'm also taking a GNC hair skin and nails vitamin daily.

Issues or difficulties you're having:
I have ton of SSK's so I'm trying to stretch my hair more and not use so many "out" styles. I also have to really nail down a regimen that will get me where I'm going instread of being all over the place with my ton of products.

rawsilk

I just committed to drinking water equal to half body weight in ounces. I always skimp on this and I think it makes all the difference in the world. (No sense in dropping all that $ on supplements, products, organic foods and juices if I don't get the H2O right.)

ojemba

Wow ojemba. It seems like inversion is working for you. I wish it worked for me. I can use all the inches I can get!
I taught I was imaging things I had to check my calendar to confirm when I did my beehive. I'll try it again next month. I'm trying to keep this beehive for 12 weeks I'll see for sure when I take it down.

jennwantslonghurr

I'm having that moment where I want my hair that I trimed away back. Give me back my thin ends lol. Not seriously but seriously. I'm going throw my wig on and keep it moving until spring.