‘we Out Here’: Inside The New Black Travel Movement

Always~Wear~Joy

londontresses

What kind of flight deals are we talking?
Like the Travel Noire deals or something deeply discounted for private groups?

Maybe need to sign up for the Nomad group too.
Do you have to send copies of passport pages?

You don't need to send copies of your passport. It's the honor system. Eventually it is moving off Facebook though. I posted the fare deal sites in here already. You definitely don't need Nomadness for it. It's really like a family :). The meetups are epic. If you want that than I encourage you to join.

Last edited:

Holla

I had my first international trip on a cruise to the Bahamas in November. Now
I want to go everywhere! I waited so long to travel because I thought I couldn't
afford it. I don't make much money, but with research and planning you can
make it happen! I might do Bermuda later this year.

Bronxcutie - I love reading things like this! I grew up with it as a given but for people who didn't, I'm always curious as to when/where/how they got into traveling internationally and if they like it just as much as those of us who took our first trip before we could even remember. So exciting!

One tip: The 52-week challenge. It is something like putting away $52 the first week of the year. Then $51 the second week, then $50 the third week, etc. or whatever amount in decreasing order. By the time the summer rolls around you will have a nice amount to use on a trip. You can set up an account for the money (like with Schwabb or Fidelity) that doesn't charge ATM fees or foreign transaction fees so that you can access your money abroad.

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
Also in reference to everybody traveling to the Caribbean. I have found home in Turks and Caicos (Grace Bay). I don't care how easy it is to get to or cliche it is. I plan to go there every year for the rest of my life.

:) How cool! I live here. We can meetup on your next trip if you're interested Fab_Nikki

londontresses

londontresses

What kind of flight deals are we talking?
Like the Travel Noire deals or something deeply discounted for private groups?

Maybe need to sign up for the Nomad group too.
Do you have to send copies of passport pages?

naturalmanenyc

No most of the deals are not specific to the group but posters share deals, errors, offers constantly. They also do group trips but I don't think they're particularly discounted. The most inspiring thing is the pics and stories people share...people quitting their jobs and going travelling for months, others just sharing how they manage to travel so frequently, the meet ups...

I didn't send anything but I was travelling when someone I met added me so they knew I had stamps.

Holla

I was one of the people who commented about Miami and the Caribbean. I am not knocking people for going to those places; I am knocking them for constantly going to ONLY those places year after year and refusing to consider other locations. Then they claim that they love to travel. Ok. To me that does not show a love for travel - it just shows a love for Miami, a love for just the destination. Same as if they were going only to NY or London year after year. It's fine to love a city. But, inherent in a love for travel IMO is having "wanderlust" which is defined as a strong desire to wander the world. Others may define "love to travel" differently and that's fine.

As for affording their trip, folks I am thinking about stay at Eden Roc or Loews, party it up at Liv, eat at Joe's Stone Crab or STK, take a boat ride (now everyone is renting a yacht :lol:), etc. - they do not see Miami as a cheap vacation. The people I am thinking about (especially men) are spending $$$.

Radianthealth

My goal is to use my passport once per year. I have to hold myself back to keep from spending all my money on travel. I wanted to go to Ghana this year but I am holding off and putting the money for the trip into our newborn's 529

Always~Wear~Joy

naturalmanenyc

No most of the deals are not specific to the group but posters share deals, errors, offers constantly. They also do group trips but I don't think they're particularly discounted. The most inspiring thing is the pics and stories people share...people quitting their jobs and going travelling for months, others just sharing how they manage to travel so frequently, the meet ups...

I didn't send anything but I was travelling when someone I met added me so they knew I had stamps.

Yes to all of this!!! It really is inspiring. There are different levels in there, expats, true nomads, those who only do one international trip a year, those saving for travel, etc. All sorts of travel are welcome.

Always~Wear~Joy

This couple in Nomadness made a cute wedding announcement. Instead of having one big party, they will be traveling to each of the cities listed and asked people to join in on the fun.

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

lux10023

I completely agree that seeing Black people traveling internationally in large numbers does help break stereotypes. We were in Tahiti some years ago and some of the locals thought DH was an NBA player. He's 5'10" and had on a Lakers jersey (Bryant 8). DH does not look like Kobe at all and he's not NBA tall but they saw a Black man (only Black man I saw for 3 weeks) and they presumed he was rich and famous. That happened to us in St. Barths, and Bangkok, locals presuming we were famous. DH posed for photos in Bangkok and South Africa even after telling the people he wasn't famous. After a crowd of gathered to take DH's photo in South Africa, a few people with our tour group in South Africa started taking photos of us too, as if they felt we were lying to them about being famous. I'm convinced that photo event was all about his hair though, locs down to his waist, since the little boy who started it all didn't speak English but was staring at DH's hair and then touched it.

This is why all these dreadful reality shows irritate me. Not only does the US export goods, but we export television programs. Some of this crap makes it out to the rest of the world so they really think Black people are all like Nene and those bad behaving chicks from Bad Girls club.:perplexed

Joigirl

Love this thread. My kids are finally old enough for us to either take with us or leave with Grandma and Grandpa while we travel. I just came back from London for a work trip and I am ready to take another trip this year once I see a good deal. I am so mad I missed out on Abu Dhabi!

gimbap

lux10023

I completely agree that seeing Black people traveling internationally in large numbers does help break stereotypes. We were in Tahiti some years ago and some of the locals thought DH was an NBA player. He's 5'10" and had on a Lakers jersey (Bryant 8). DH does not look like Kobe at all and he's not NBA tall but they saw a Black man (only Black man I saw for 3 weeks) and they presumed he was rich and famous. That happened to us in St. Barths, and Bangkok, locals presuming we were famous. DH posed for photos in Bangkok and South Africa even after telling the people he wasn't famous. After a crowd of gathered to take DH's photo in South Africa, a few people with our tour group in South Africa started taking photos of us too, as if they felt we were lying to them about being famous. I'm convinced that photo event was all about his hair though, locs down to his waist, since the little boy who started it all didn't speak English but was staring at DH's hair and then touched it.

This is why all these dreadful reality shows irritate me. Not only does the US export goods, but we export television programs. Some of this crap makes it out to the rest of the world so they really think Black people are all like Nene and those bad behaving chicks from Bad Girls club.:perplexed
This happened to me in Seoul! Me and my then-bf were sitting in Coex Mall. He was wearing a basketball jersey. A group of Chinese tourists walked in, crowded around us, and started taking pictures. One decided she wanted to be in the pic, so she came and through her arm around me and got her photo. Finally we got freaked out and ran off :lol:

londontresses

Re photos naturalmanenyc, I got that in Asia- both Singapore and Thailand but not as intense lol. Two friends (different trips) were asked to take pics with random families in Asia and hold babies :lol: My other friend told a hilarious story about a girl shoving her phone in her face and taking a really close up pic of her in a mall in Mayanmar. She was livid! So she tracked the girl down in the mall, creeped up on her and snapped a pic back :lol:

CarLiTa

I wanted to comment on the Lo and Sons collaboration with one of the travel companies. In what way will that happen?

Lo and Sons bags, while not super expensive, are also not cheap. Of they use, say, Travel Noire, to promote those bags, is it going to be with the messaging that if you're not carrying one of those bags, then you're not a true classy traveler? Or something like that? Stuff like that tends to irritate me a bit. And I feel like these platforms already convey such a message to an extent... perhaps unintentionally?

Anyway, I think the collaboration is definitely cool, but I'll be curious how the phrasing on the marketing goes.

Naveah2050

Re photos naturalmanenyc, I got that in Asia- both Singapore and Thailand but not as intense lol. Two friends (different trips) were asked to take pics with random families in Asia and hold babies :lol: My other friend told a hilarious story about a girl shoving her phone in her face and taking a really close up pic of her in a mall in Mayanmar. She was livid! So she tracked the girl down in the mall, creeped up on her and snapped a pic back :lol:

This happened to me all the time in Asia, especially in china eurgh... The Thai were nicer and just loved my skin, they would just stroke it in wonderment lol...Singapore I had a bad experience with one person that soured me but you live and you learn

Naveah2050

I don't care why/where black people travel to as long as we travel... I am well travelled but it's come at the expense of savings/ investments etc not everyone has that luxury so I would rather people go where they can afford to when they can...

Theresamonet

I don't have wanderlust, but I do love to travel. I just don't find the idea of traveling alone or with strangers appealing. I've only traveled with SO, and I can't imagine being in those places, doing and seeing those things, being as exciting or special if I were alone, or with some randoms. I don't care if that makes me a bad traveler. :lol:

chicitygirl

Does anyone have a direct link on how to sign up for the Nomadness group? I can't seem to find it on their website or facebook group?

MizAvalon

So, what is the best strategy for getting these amazing flight deals? Do you just have to check these farewatcher sites multiple times a day, every day? Because it seems like everything sells out within a couple of hours.

butter_pecan

I don't care why/where black people travel to as long as we travel... I am well travelled but it's come at the expense of savings/ investments etc not everyone has that luxury so I would rather people go where they can afford to when they can...

Thank you. I travel yearly, but I have to live below my means. I have more than 2-4 weeks a year to live for.

fula97

So, what is the best strategy for getting these amazing flight deals? Do you just have to check these farewatcher sites multiple times a day, every day? Because it seems like everything sells out within a couple of hours.

I check in the morning and midday and get email alerts as well. Some you miss out since I'm usually out but I've also been able to take advantage of some great deals over the years.

I also have fare alerts setup with farecompare.com for a list of places I'm interested in that sends me a notification if the fare drops below a certain amount.

You can also look at fare maps on Kayak.com, or fare compare and see all the average prices around the world

Last edited:

FelaShrine

Prague is a place Ive been thinking about for a while now

There are trips outside the US now that are less thn Vegas or even Miami so..I dont buy the afford angle nd nothing wrong with those places..that just aint travelling. *shrugs*

when English people go to Ireland, they dont call that travelling either lol.

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I have terrible wanderlust. I wish I had the time to satisfy it. I've just started really building my career.

Naveah2050

Prague is a place Ive been thinking about for a while now There are trips outside the US now that are less thn Vegas or even Miami so..I dont buy the afford angle nd nothing wrong with those places..that just aint travelling. *shrugs* when English people go to Ireland, they dont call that travelling either lol.

People like what they like... Americans work hard and don't have that much vacation plus their country is a lot bigger so it's possible to fly 3 hours and get sun unlike Europe where you would need to fly for 5 hours for example to get to North Africa and get sun....I say live and let live...

I am lucky to have European style vacation days but the bulk of my colleagues have only 15 days....I just took a 15 day vacation for Xmas, no way that would last me the whole year if that's all I had...and I had to use that vacay for sick days too?!

Prague is nice!!