‘we Out Here’: Inside The New Black Travel Movement

werenumber2

I completely agree that seeing Black people traveling internationally in large numbers does help break stereotypes. We were in Tahiti some years ago and some of the locals thought DH was an NBA player. He's 5'10" and had on a Lakers jersey (Bryant 8). DH does not look like Kobe at all and he's not NBA tall but they saw a Black man (only Black man I saw for 3 weeks) and they presumed he was rich and famous. That happened to us in St. Barths, and Bangkok, locals presuming we were famous.

:lol: I've heard of that happening in this country too. A couple of coworkers traveled up to Maine for a business trip and several people at the hotel thought the black guys were basketball players - not a single one of those dudes was over 6'0".

FelaShrine

People like what they like... Americans work hard and don't have that much vacation plus their country is a lot bigger so it's possible to fly 3 hours and get sun unlike Europe where you would need to fly for 5 hours for example to get to North Africa and get sun....I say live and let live...

I am lucky to have European style vacation days but the bulk of my colleagues have only 15 days....I just took a 15 day vacation for Xmas, no way that would last me the whole year if that's all I had...and I had to use that vacay for sick days too?!

Prague is nice!!

You need 6+ hrs to get Cali, Arizona or Nevada. all them other states are just as cold right now. :lol: Add 2 more hours to that, I could be in Spain

I get your point, just that my and most people's definition of travel isnt within the country /roadtrip. I reckon thats why the groups and such require passport stamps.

FelaShrine

Yea I havent heard anything negative about Prague. Cyprus has gotten "rave reviews" from friends as well.

Naveah2050

You need 6+ hrs to get Cali, Arizona or Nevada. all them other states are just as cold right now. :lol: Add 2 more hours to that, I could be in Spain I get your point, just that my and most people'd definition is travel isnt within the country /roadtrip. I reckon thats why the groups and such require passport stamps.

Lol true! True! I am just happy Americans are getting passports and seeing the world

TCatt86

People like what they like... Americans work hard and don't have that much vacation plus their country is a lot bigger so it's possible to fly 3 hours and get sun unlike Europe where you would need to fly for 5 hours for example to get to North Africa and get sun....I say live and let live...

I am lucky to have European style vacation days but the bulk of my colleagues have only 15 days....I just took a 15 day vacation for Xmas, no way that would last me the whole year if that's all I had...and I had to use that vacay for sick days too?!

Prague is nice!!

Very true. Most Americans have limited pto and going on a weekend trip to somewhere in the contiguous US just makes more sense. Also the US has so much to offer. In one country you can have 4 seasons going at once. We have white sandy beaches, forests, mountains, valleys, etc. How people live and eat can also vary greatly by region. There is alot to experience here. So I agree with you, don't discount traveling within this country. If that's all a person's budget and job allows then good for them for going elsewhere. Because I know a lot of folks that have never left their hometowns.

qchelle

I don't think i have wanderlust. I have no real desire to 'see the world ' to be perfectly honest. And traveling alone to a different country seems. ..like something I would absolutely not be interested in lol.

Maybe I'm just very American? Maybe it's a coping technique to the overworked, not enough vacation days that is America? Maybe I just don't care about traveling for traveling sake ? Lol

I went to Madrid when I was 9 and I missed my 8th grade graduation to go to Hawaii (yea Yea it's the US,but still lol). I had a chance to go to Paris in HS, but decided not too. Me and my mom are going to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls for my bday in march.

There are places I would love to visit. Bora bora, Seychelles, Ghana, and Sao Paulo top the list. But I don't want to just visit anywhere that I can go to for cheap.

I love seeing pictures of people's travels. And I think it's awesome more black people are being exposed to international travel. Good for the people who never knew they could do it. Good for them.

To me, if I go anywhere outside of the current city I live in for purposes of relaxing is 'travel'. I travel to NYC, DC, Baltimore, and Philly all the time lol. If I Paid for a hotel room and popped a bottle, I have traveled.

I love this thread. I just wanted to give any non traveling lurkers a small voice lol.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
Very true. Most Americans have limited pto and going on a weekend trip to somewhere in the contiguous US just makes more sense. Also the US has so much to offer. In one country you can have 4 seasons going at once. We have white sandy beaches, forests, mountains, valleys, etc. How people live and eat can also vary greatly by region. There is alot to experience here. So I agree with you, don't discount traveling within this country. If that's all a person's budget and job allows then good for them for going elsewhere. Because I know a lot of folks that have never left their hometowns.

we have some absolutely stunning national and state parks in this country. the western part of the US is sooo beautiful. but if most Americans do not want to branch out and travel within their own country are folks really surprised we dont travel internationally?:lol:

Holla

I don't care why/where black people travel to as long as we travel... I am well travelled but it's come at the expense of savings/ investments etc not everyone has that luxury so I would rather people go where they can afford to when they can...

Thank you. I travel yearly, but I have to live below my means. I have more than 2-4 weeks a year to live for.

That's a given. NO one is saying people should go broke for a trip. However, many are saying that it is possible to book a trip within every economic level…except poverty of course.

If someone booked a trip for September 5-13, 2015, they would only need to use up 4 vacation days, yet they could be away for 8 days.

Those same people who only have 15 days off KNOW how to use them wisely so that they maximize their vacation time. I learned from such people. :look:Things like ….most European flights leave at night so you can work that day and leave that same night without taking a day off. Or, figuring out in advance which holidays fall during a weekend so that either the Friday before or Monday after will be the recognized "holiday off" from work but it won't count against your vacation days. They know how to work the system.:yep:

Last edited:

Fab_Nikki

That's a given. NO one is saying people should go broke for a trip. However, many are saying that it is possible to book a trip within every economic level…except poverty of course. If someone booked a trip for September 5-13, 2015, they would only need to use up 4 vacation days, yet they could be away for 8 days. Those same people who only have 15 days off KNOW how to use them wisely so that they maximize their vacation time. I learned from such people. :look:Things like ….most European flights leave at night so you can work that day and leave that same night without taking a day off. Or, figuring out in advance which holidays fall during a weekend so that either the Friday before or Monday after will be the recognized "holiday off" from work but it won't count against your vacation days. They know how to work the system.:yep:

Holla
I can't bold the text from my phone but this is how I plan my vacations. I schedule around holidays and long weekends. Also I telework on Thursday and Friday so I book flights Wednesday after work. I can have a four day vacation anytime I want and not use leave.

Over the Christmas holiday I was on vacation for two weeks and only used 24 hours leave. Thanks to President Obama and the day after Christmas paid holiday + telework. Make it work to my benefit!!!!

Naveah2050

Holla I can't bold the text from my phone but this is how I plan my vacations. I schedule around holidays and long weekends. Also I telework on Thursday and Friday so I book flights Wednesday after work. I can have a four day vacation anytime I want and not use leave. Over the Christmas holiday I was on vacation for two weeks and only used 24 hours leave. Thanks to President Obama and the day after Christmas paid holiday + telework. Make it work to my benefit!!!!

That's what I do too... Everything is booked do far apart from July 4th

londontresses

**TIME SENSITIVE** starting in a few mins...not sure of the deets tbh just sharing...

Travel GOOGLE HANGOUT startng in 5 minutes!!! Watch Live on YouTube!
Black Travelers - Exploring the New Travel Class
Friday, January 9, 2015
3:30pm
YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tU-vnoE8UE
Black Travelers - Exploring the New Travel Class
The Black traveler is a growing reality and only promises to become a bigger phenomenon. Join The Burton Wire hosts Nsenga Burton and Chetachi Egwu as they c...
youtube.com
Comment

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I wonder if anyone ever gets fired over these fare glitches that happen?

I feel like they get so much profit from people rushing to buy tickets they ordinarily wouldn't have so maybe they should cut the person a break. I guarantee 95% of the people who bought the Emirates tickets weren't planning on flying there ever

Naveah2050

I feel like they get so much profit from people rushing to buy tickets they ordinarily wouldn't have so maybe they should cut the person a break. I guarantee 95% of the people who bought the Emirates tickets weren't planning on flying there ever
Especially not with an airline most Americans haven't heard of... I definitely don't believe the Etihad fare was a glitch it came on Christmas and they have offers for free nights and excursions on stopover so no way, no how was that an error plus it lasted nearly 2 days. Seems like those fares were just the tax and duty component of the fares

naturalmanenyc

I read that article and joined all sorts of facebook groups after that for the Abu Dhabi trip. It is interesting to see SOOOOO many Black people talking about their travel plans. Most of the time when Black people are making group travel plans it's usually a beach trip to Miami or a cruise. I like this "new" exposure that Black people are getting to other Black people who are going to places like Abu Dhabi :)look:) because not all of us want to do white parties at a Nikki Beach somewhere or yacht parties in the Caribbean year after year.

Holla
I don't know why but this made me chuckle. We went to Nikki Beach in St. Barths. We've never been to the Miami location.

FemmeFatale

My girl is going to Ghana on Monday and I'm def going later this year, I'm just waiting for the right ticket deal to come up. I do need a quick island getaway and I was thinking about Turks and Caicos.. We'll see.

Naveah2050

Damn DC getting all the good deals though...

ETA: :sad: I can't do any of the dates otherwise I would have booked and figured out how to get to DC

Last edited:

nathansgirl1908

Now I know why I saw so many people taking pictures in or talking about going to Abu Dhabi on Facebook recently. I have friends who travel everywhere, but this was a group that doesn't usually travel to locations like that. I guess that low airfare made it possible.

Everything Zen

I am so thankful for this thread. I've been trying to travel internationally since I was a child but my parents have always stood in the way. I had an opportunity to live in Australia for a semester in elementary school, brought my parents to the meeting. It didn't happen. I had family members living in Germany who always begged them to lete come visit or go on their ski trips in the Alps- nope. I was supposed to finish my minor in Spanish in Barcelona at an art museum for a summer and this time they were more open- then there was a terrorist attack on the train station in Barcelona and well that opportunity was taken away. I'm just waiting to get my funds straight so I can travel. This thread is so inspirational! :yep:

fluffyforever

Can anyone share how to join Nomadness or another black travel group they recommend? I love to travel but my friends don't or they don't have as much vacation days as I do.

ArrrBeee

Can anyone share how to join Nomadness or another black travel group they recommend? I love to travel but my friends don't or they don't have as much vacation days as I do.

It's good if you're trying to do meetups in places that you travel but there's a waiting list to get in.

Don't wait on your friends to go. Roll solo. It seems intimidating at first but you get used to it.

http://solotravelerblog.com/solo-travel/

MrsWatson

We go on at least one international trip per year. Last year we did China. the year before South Africa. We use a travel site that allows us to make a down payment (usually the year before) and monthly payments up until the departure date. This works well for us. Allows us to see the world on our tight budget.