Weave Itchies

MiWay

Ever since I got this weave, it seems like my hair starts itching towards the end of the day, and even more when I go to bed. I literally scratch like a mad woman until I fall asleep. I'm scared I'm going to wake up bleeding one day. Has anyone else had this problem? How do you "fix" it? I sprayed some conditioner and water on my scalp last night, and that helped a little (very little), but there's gotta be something I can do. I'm really considering taking this stuff out. Help!!!

Robin41

Take a tip from the Crown & Glory method for braiding hair: Soak that hair in a mixture of water and a little vinegar to get the chemicals out before you put it in your hair. I swear that has stopped my itchies with braids so maybe it will work with weave hair too.

kandegirl

Hey,

This happens to me sometimes right after I get a fresh weave. I think it could be the braid hair that added to my cornrows. But after I get my hair washed the itchies go away. So I suggest washing it and add your braid spray and oils to your scalp and hopefully you'll be fine.

MissYocairis

I had a HORRIFYING WEAVE last summer for a vacation and the same problem was going on. I don't know if the braids were too tight, I was allergic to the thread, or if I was allergic to the hair, but my scalp was like, ":mad: ah, you got me ***'ed up if you think I am going to ALLOW THIS!" It was so bad, that I was co-washing the thing twice a day just for relief. I took it out as soon as I returned home and had a really bad itchy scalp for the next 2 weeks. Also, lots of shedding. More than I should have had for a weave I only wore for 1 week. Be CAREFUL!

MiWay

CantBeCopied said:
I had a HORRIFYING WEAVE last summer for a vacation and the same problem was going on. I don't know if the braids were too tight, I was allergic to the thread, or if I was allergic to the hair, but my scalp was like, ":mad: ah, you got me ***'ed up if you think I am going to ALLOW THIS!" It was so bad, that I was co-washing the thing twice a day just for relief. I took it out as soon as I returned home and had a really bad itchy scalp for the next 2 weeks. Also, lots of shedding. More than I should have had for a weave I only wore for 1 week. Be CAREFUL!

I was thinking about an allergy to the thread or the hair as well. I'm going to try washing this weekend and see what happens. The crazy thing is, my hair barely itches during the day, but at night.....IT'S ON!!!

Thanks for the advice ladies! I hope something works...I don't want to have to take this out after spending all this $$$.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I remeber when my haed would itch like crazy when I used to wear my weaves. :( Then I started using SeaBreeze on my scalp when ever I had the itches. It was the best choice I made. ;)

Candiss

My scalp would itch also. I was allergic to them. I never tried soaking them to remove the chemicals. Maybe it will work for you. But it might be the dye in the hair also.

Be careful if you have itching with braids, I have worn tracks on and off for years but I never had itching, I recently read that dermatitis is one of the first signs of traction alopecia and a major cause of traction alopecia is tight braids and weaves,, thats what made me put any tracks i wear to the back of my head and no where near my hair line, so if some hair did get pulled out it would never be noticeable, be careful if you having xtra dandruff and itching becuz you could be on your way to hairloss:eek:

MiWay

Okay, I just got another weave...a week ago, and the itchies are back!!!

HELP!!! :cry3:

I got the weave last Wednesday (12/27). My hair didn't start itching until Sunday. Wednesday night, I put some Neosporin AF on my scalp, and the itching stopped, but it came back last night. So I put more Neo AF on my scalp. It didn't work this time. I let the shower water run thru my hair...didn't help. My scalp is so irritated, it hurts when I scratch.

I guess the obvious thing to do is take the weave out, which I may do this evening. I'm thinking about having my stylist redo it, but soak the hair in the water and vinegar concoction first to see if that helps. Anybody have any other suggestions?

glamazon386

msbrown76 said:
Ever since I got this weave, it seems like my hair starts itching towards the end of the day, and even more when I go to bed. I literally scratch like a mad woman until I fall asleep. I'm scared I'm going to wake up bleeding one day. Has anyone else had this problem? How do you "fix" it? I sprayed some conditioner and water on my scalp last night, and that helped a little (very little), but there's gotta be something I can do. I'm really considering taking this stuff out. Help!!!

I have that problem a few days after getting mines in and with any other type of braid. Get some BRX Braid/Extension spray and spray where it itches. It'll stop. It might not work right away but it'll stop. If that doesn't work then IDK. Could you be allergic to the hair?

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Msbrown76

You are having an allergic reaction I would advise you to leave the weave alone. The last time a stylist put a weave in my hair it was itching so bad in 2003. My co-workers advise me against weave I wanted to do something different. They kept saying you don't need that your hair looks nice. I was washing hair every day trying to control the itchy mess. I paid all that money it lasted one week. Dam!!! I took sulfur aid grease,braid spray to work slapping on my scalp my co-workers felts so bad for me assisted in taking that mess out. I even took Benadryl.
It was taken down at my desk while working finished taken out company cafeteria. My supervisor was like wtf are you doing. I told him it was a medical emergency lucky for me he was a black guy that understood. Several ladies assisted me thank goodness I sat off in a corner. I still get teased today about the weave when we all get together. :D

msbrown76 said:
Okay, I just got another weave...a week ago, and the itchies are back!!!

HELP!!! :cry3:

I got the weave last Wednesday (12/27). My hair didn't start itching until Sunday. Wednesday night, I put some Neosporin AF on my scalp, and the itching stopped, but it came back last night. So I put more Neo AF on my scalp. It didn't work this time. I let the shower water run thru my hair...didn't help. My scalp is so irritated, it hurts when I scratch.

I guess the obvious thing to do is take the weave out, which I may do this evening. I'm thinking about having my stylist redo it, but soak the hair in the water and vinegar concoction first to see if that helps. Anybody have any other suggestions?