WEAVE REHAB!

Do you have a weave addiction?

• Yes! And weave me alone!

Votes: 30 16.1%
  • Yes and I have no idea what else to do with this head!

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • No! I don't touch that stuff!

Votes: 30 16.1%
  • No but it does not bother me that others wear it.

Votes: 27 14.5%
  • No but I will be getting some sooner or later.

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • No, I occasionally wear it for a certain look.

Votes: 41 22.0%
  • Why do people keep making these threads? Get some business!

Votes: 31 16.7%

• Total voters

CurlyMoo

Although I love to wear all kinds of styles and hair colors. The idea of someone sewing or pasting weave in my hair makes me cringe and want to do violence. I personally have a disdane for it and I noticed that I am getting more and more digusted by it. Depending on how it's worn it can have a serious ICK factor for me. It's strange because I'm a To Each His Own, type of person. There are just so many woman wearing weave that it really bothers me. And they are obvious weave, bad weave. Tracks everywhere for a fleet of cargo trains. Like they don't care about how it looks. I'm even sad about it because I really like our natural hair and I find myself very curious of the various natural textures and lengths. Which I'm not able to see when it's buried under a heaping mound of horse tail hair. I truely believe that there is a co-dependency.

So many women are wearing weave like it came from the roots. I do not own a wig nor have I ever worn weave. I would love to have a short wig. Halle style. There is something about that Halle style that looks gorgeous in a strapless cocktail dress. But to wear it everyday, would make me mentally ill. Come on now. Unless I have a medical scalp and hair problem.

My niece LOVES weave and thinks her mother should get one just to have it or to make her feel more confident. I think it's more for my niece than for her mother. To have some put in to make it look natural can be very expensive. My niece has been struggling financially and after she told me what she spends on her hair, it made me want to slap her weave backwards.

How often and how long do you weave? Why do you wear weave?
How many of you guys wear so much weave and so often that you think you might have a problem? Do you feel you need therapy? Is it really protective styling or just an easy way to style your hair because you don't have time or energy to deal with your natural hair?

Please vote on weave poll.

Extremus

My niece LOVES weave and thinks her mother should get one just to have it or to make her feel more confident. I think it's more for my niece than for her mother. To have some put in to make it look natural can be very expensive. My niece has been struggling financially and after she told me what she spends on her hair, it made me want to slap her weave backwards.

See. I don't get this. Why can't you be confident w/o weave? I hate how a lot of women are dependent weaves.

That's just me though. :ohwell:

Pheonixx

Well GOTDAMN...what's with all these Weave threads?
LOL
Just playin. Ok--I'll answer the topic.

1. Spending all your money on hair when you ain't got it? That's ridiculous. I can't see it.

2. I already said in another place that I weaved out of laziness and convenience so--no use reiterating.

3. I can say with all honesty that I am just sick of seeing sistas with bright blonde weaves.
Ugh.
I don't see this in real life though. Only in Hollywood. Among these entertainers.
I have no good reason to explain why I for feel this way. It's a personal problem, I admit. LOL
It's just so played...

Last edited:

Ediese

I have no problem wearing weaves regardless of what ANYONE has to say. Currently, I'm using them now as a protective style, and I will continue to do that until I reach my goal.

Even if that wasn't the case, because in the past I did wear mainly as a styling option, it is my decision so I really don't give a damn what anyone else thinks.

ajoyfuljoy

A lot of ladies here use weave as a protective style and wear it well. A lot of them will probably find your snarky tone offensive...hence the one star.

ajacks

How often and how long do you weave?
Varies
Why do you wear weave?
To reach my hair goal
How many of you guys wear so much weave and so often that you think you might have a problem?
No I don't have a problem. This is not a dependency, but a choice.
Do you feel you need therapy?
LMAO :lachen:
Is it really protective styling or just an easy way to style your hair because you don't have time or energy to deal with your natural hair?
Weaves are a great protective style. I don't wear it becuase I'm too lazy to do my hair. My hair has thrived since I've started wearing weaves and I will continue to wear them until I reach my hair goals. I suggest you check out my stylist website (http://www.reniece.com/HealthyHairMakeovers.html ) to see the outcome of using weaves as a protective style. I understand that it is just not for you, but why question other peoples intent for wearing them? I am on the same journey for healthy hair as everyone else on this board and this just so happens to be my method of choice.

wannabelong

I have no problem wearing weaves regardless of what ANYONE has to say. Currently, I'm using them now as a protective style, and I will continue to do that until I reach my goal.

Even if that wasn't the case, because in the past I did wear mainly as a styling option, it is my decision so I really don't give a damn what anyone else thinks.[/quote]

What she said!

TooCute

Even if that wasn't the case, because in the past I did wear mainly as a styling option, it is my decision so I really don't give a damn what anyone else thinks.

Same here; Preach!

As long as your hair ain't BUSTED:rolleyes:; weave, natural, relaxed I have no opinion on what anyone else does with their hair.

ETA: And this is the first time I've ever voted on a thread. :lachen:

Last edited:

charmtreese

Like I posted in a previous thread, I was addicted to weaves, now I won't touch the stuff!

If other people want to wear it for whatever reason, that's them. I have NO opinion what so ever as far as that goes, and If I did I wouldn't post it here anyways...(because real life and long hair care forum life are two totally different things!!:look:)

However, I don't think your thread deserves 1 star...but then again weaves run deep with some!

pureebony

Ok if you don't like to wear a weave that's you, if you do then that's you. my thing is you do you and I do me- simple as. I see ladies with good weave and some with obvious track showing weave and I don't turn around and say anything cuz to be honest some people may not have the time or money to spend on their hair like you may.

Weave is weave- if you don't like the way some people do it, and are so bothered by it to that extent, then tell them....:look: if you don't want to then go on your way. Someone else's hair should not be that much of an irritnce to your life now? - should it...really?

I have natural hair and wear a puff, people look at my hair cuz they don't come across people with natural hair often.

Not everyone will have your standard, everyone has their own.

Christa438

Pre-lhcf...since middle school I had always worn weaves. I was wearing them because I didn't know how to take care of my hair properly. It was damaged, broken and very short as well. My problem was that I didnt know how to take care of my hair properly without a weave and so I didnt know how to take care of my hair properly with the weaves either lol. I hid my hair wearing mostly braids or sew-ins (I discovered I hated glue-in after two crazy trials lol.) I will say most -maybe not all- of the time my braids and sew-ins were on point though as far as hair being blended or kept neat. These styles were easy to maintain. I looked good with these styles and I felt good. [One time I even had a beautiful sew-in job done and I remember strutting through the mall and an agent came up to me and asked me if I was interested in modeling, he handed me a business card and gave me the website address and asked me to come by the business location with a couple of photos. I neva did though...] Around 19 yo I started wearing wigs more and liked them. To this day I love wigs more than I loved my sew-in weaves and braids.

Post lhcf...I am wearing wigs daily (all are natural looking curly or straight.) No, I dont need therapy. Wigs are my fav protective style now and I am wearing them until I reach my first major goal. Plus I like being able to play with complimenting colors and highlights which I cant do on my real hair without damage. I no longer feel like I need to mask my hair because Im ashamed, I wear wigs because I want to and like to and my hair underneath IS thriving. Plus Im hiding my hair from family nay-sayers who I want to be shocked when I finally show off my progress over the coming holidays lol.

I went into a bss one day and I tried on a wig. the lady looked at my wig cap and said "You have hair!" She could see all the large bumps of my twists under the cap lol. I just smiled and :yep:--it was kinda funny. She assumed I was bald or near bald... IRL people are going to assume/think what they want anyways. Dont worry: we will show our people and the world that we can have healthy long hair too. But it will be by one step then another, one person enlightened at a time...Go Obama! LOL I just threw that in there :grin:(--great way to end ?)

Last edited:

Lexib

I used to wear them when I had given up on my hair and didn't know how to really take care of it. Now that its thriving, I have absoultely no reason to go back to them - I LOVE my own hair even though it's not as long as I want it to be right now. I think the forum has given me a new found respect and adoration for my hair that *I* never had when *I* wore weaves. :yep:

2themax

I used to wear them when I had given up on my hair and didn't know how to really take care of it. Now that its thriving, I have absoultely no reason to go back to them - I LOVE my own hair even though it's not as long as I want it to be right now. I think the forum has given me a new found respect and adoration for my hair that *I* never had when *I* wore weaves. :yep:

I totally agree! I responded to another thread re: Weaves.:nono:

I've had 2 in the past because I didn't know how to care for my own hair AND because I wanted long hair soooo bad! However, it may or may not look good from the outside, BUT you know that it's not your own hair! :wallbash: I'd rather take care of my own hair. Besides, a lot of people can tell that it's not your hair, but they just don't say anything-but guess what they might be doing behind your back :lachen:while calling you a, "wishful thinker.":yep: I'll stick with my own while it's growing!

HoneyDew

I don't wear weaves, but I will wear braids as needed, so I will answer with that in mind.

#1 - it is not that serious. Women all over the world, of all races, wear weaves, wigs, clip-ins, braids, etc. It is not that serious. I look at it the same way i do with make-up and nail polish. Just doing your thing to make your self look the way you want.

#2 - yes it is a pain for me to get braids. But you know what? I can workout everyday if I want and not have to worry about my hair. (I would rather look sexy and slim in my braids than have rolls without them - I HAVE to workout).

I can come home from work and study or do other things without having to worry about my hair. I can get ready for an event or function and not worry about my hair in the humidity, or sweating it out as I get ready, or getting it wet in the shower. I pick my battles and sometimes (most-times) I don't want my hair to revolve around HAIR! Life is TOO SHORT!

#3 - My hair grows better and I retain much more length when I braid it. Sometimes i don't want to admit that, but it is true and very obvious when I go a through a few sets of braids. Hey I am not mad about that.

#4 - The only problem I have with weaves it when they look unnatural and fake with cheap looking hair and tracks that show. i also hate when ladies wear them without taking full consideration for the heath of their own hair. Other that that, again, it is not that serious.

missdemi

LOL. Um Yea. I have hair. But I have issues retaining length because my hair is so fine and breaks easily. Not to mention I am transitioning and I am not particularly excited about the big chop.SO until my transition is complete and I have grown my natural hair back to where it was with a relaxer I will be wearing weaves. If it;s one thing I don't mind investing in is my hair because I am a HAIR person, when my hair looks great so do I. Now while I am a college student I BUDGET so when the price of my hair goes up I cut corners. may mean eating in may mean not going out as much whatever. For me it IS protective styling nothing more nothing less.

eunique

ITA with the majority of those who replied to this post. The tone you used was rude and uncalled for. As long as your hair isn't looking crazy do whatever you want to it.

Pheonixx

LOL @ the ppl who just came in here to tell the OP off...:grin:
Wait a minute---am I the only one who thought this topic was to be taken in 'jest'?:blush:
I mean how could the OP be serious and expect soemone to discuss the issue with her?
Weave=Dependancy=Rehab...? Sounds like a joke to me.
Well....maybe it's just because I'm in a silly mood.

OP, ma'am, if you were serious...>>smirk<<...uhh, 'catch more flies with honey..."
HONEY.
You know what I mean?
You need to work on your 'ppl skills'.

LOL...ppl are a trip.

Well--I'm moving on to a more 'pleasant' atmosphere.
Negativity makes my nerves bad.
But ya'll...
How ya'll gon get riled up behind what someone said on a MESSAGE BOARD...?
You knew you were gon get upset before you clicked on the dern link. I know you can't resist...but I bet some of ya'll prolly got flip with or told the ***** (or some other *****) about herself in one of the last 3 weave posts.
I know it. LOL

Ppl will think as they will.
The way I look at it: If a person can't put their perceptions into perspective---and instead chooses to force their own version of reality on everybody, by making broad sweeping and ridiculous generalizations about people they don't even know---then what else is to be said about them.....?
....OTHER than the fact that they're entirely too stupid to be taken seriously in the first place...?
....and whyyyyy would you exert energy on an obvious half-wit?

Shoot--ignore this thread.
She's either trollin about or a very abrasive individual.
Why keep feeding the monster?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I used to wear weaves, I don't now, and couldn't care less if other people do. How on Earth can you equate wearing weave to needing therapy? How in sam hell do you come to that conclusion?

We all know that wearing sew ins is a GREAT protective style, and some women can only see progress when they keep their hair protected with weaves. Do they need therapy because the're trying to protect and grow their hair?

Or what about the women who are too busy and don't have time to waste on something as trivial as hair, so they wear weaves to save time..... Is that foolish, disgusting and cringe worthy to you?

Girl please :rolleyes:

CurlyMoo

See. I don't get this. Why can't you be confident w/o weave? I hate how a lot of women are dependent weaves.

That's just me though. :ohwell:

Many women are dependent on weaves for various reasons. For some people, I think weave is like apart of the wardrobe. Like if you go to an interview you wear a suit instead of jeans and a t-shirt. It just adds that certain about of confidence. Based on my niece it's usually around the time the weave is first put in, when it's nice and neat. My niece has hair just as long as her weave. Which is just above APL. When she first started wearing it she had short hair and used to fry it and dye it. So I think wearing the weave has taken pressure off her natural hair and has allowed it to grow without breakage. In a rare sighting yesterday, I saw her natural hair styled. However, I do believe her recent financial situation has been the reason behind this. As she is someone who wears weave very often. With some of the styles I see her wearing I agree that it would be best that she does use weave.

CurlyMoo

I agree, if the hair is maintained under the weave your hair will retain more length. And I understand why women who do the BC would wear weave because they do not want to wear a short cut in public.

You seem to have a goal and I think that's great. I had a few questions.

How often do you wear your weave?
Do you wear your natural hair in public and how often?
How long is your weave?
Is your weave the length of your hair goal?
What is your idea of weave rehab and it's ability to help the dreamweavers?

glamazon386

As long as it looks good, I have no problem with it. I do agree that some people are dependent on them. I used to be one of those people in college after I lost all of my hair to a bad braid job. But what I don't understand is why some people are so concerned with what other people are doing with their head. It's really not your business why somebody chooses (or chooses not to) do something. I have way too many other things to be concerned with than why somebody wants to look like a broke down Pocahontas. But to each his own...

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

A lot of ladies here use weave as a protective style and wear it well. A lot of them will probably find your snarky tone offensive...hence the one star.

UNBEWEAVABLE!

Are you saying that all women who wear weave are protective styling? Come on now. The creation of weave was not to protective style it was to add length where there was none. And I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with those that have problems with their natural hair and are using weave to avoid "dealing" with their natural hair. In my strange way I want to help by disscussing this topic. YET AGAIN! :grin: Bear with me as I am still considered a newbie. :yep: I thought that was part of this forums goal, to help each other? :ohwell:

On this site yes I will agree that many of the women here are very intelligent and know how to turn something that was meant to add instant length into a hair growing aid. I honestly believe that for many, weave has become a lifestyle like the saggy baggy bottom boys you see walking down the street. :nono: Don't get me started, that's another thread ........

You may be offended and I don't blame you as we black women tend to be easily offended when it comes to hair matters. I have no interest in any stars but I thank you just the same for offering it.

:lachen: @ Snarky

CurlyMoo

As long as it looks good, I have no problem with it. I do agree that some people are dependent on them. I used to be one of those people in college after I lost all of my hair to a bad braid job. But what I don't understand is why some people are so concerned with what other people are doing with their head. It's really not your business why somebody chooses (or chooses not to) do something. I have way too many other things to be concerned with than why somebody wants to look like a broke down Pocahontas. But to each his own...

ITA, I am a "to each his own" person as well. However, when my friend came to my home unhappy and crying that she can't do a damn thing with her hair and actually has to cut her hair and the weave out because of a bad weaver then yes I make it my business. I was so frustrated because I was trying to give her tips on how to keep her hair moisturized. And she fought me every step of the way because I have a looser curl pattern than she and she just kept saying we have different hair. I tried to tell her it didn't matter. I also felt guilty because I am happy with my hair except my fear of trimming and impatience with aquiring my hair goal.

Oh, and then there is my sis-in law, Lawd! She still uses the "good hair" term. :wallbash: She used to wear weaves and wigs. I think I helped her a little. She said that because of her type of hair it would not grow past her shoulders. I asked her how often she cut it and of course every month she gets a trim. I told her that if she wanted longer hair cutting it isn't the way to do it. :spinning:

Maybe I just needed to vent. :perplexed

NGraceO

Honestly, the tone of your post did kind of turn me off. I feel that no one would want to answer your question after reading your post, because it sounded to me like you'd be turning your nose up at everyone who replied yes:(

I have been a chronic weave wearer (err??) for YEARS now lol, and I am now transitioning from that. I do agree with you when you said it was something of a co-dependecy issue, becase that what it was for me. I used to almost hate my natural hair as much as I wore weave. I think I'm pretty much healed from that phase, however. I do honestly think that the longer you wear weave, the more it becomes apart of who you are. I dunno, to each his own, that canbe a bad or good thing depending on the person. It was a bad thing for me:(

Now I'm just rockin my signiture braids, but not for "co-dependency" issues, but b/c i'm hiding it until I reach my goal length and also under my present conditions, I can't care for my hair the way I wish I could.

Aside from the tone of your post, I did agree wit some things you said, and you honesty about the topic was kind of comical...lol.

madame.coco

I'll bite...:look:

I've been wearing sew-ins back to back since Nov '07 to grow my hair out. One of the reasons I did it was in an effort to give my edges a break b/c I've been wearing braids for years...and also when I have my natural hair out I was pulling it back with a panty hose. I figured this would be less stress on my edges and also prevent me from my constant trims.
Ummmm I dont need rehab. My first 2 installs were sl curly, my 3rd was an angled bob and the last two have been straight almost apl. My goal is bsl but 1. I dont want to pay for 12-14" of hair and 2. I'm just not ready to deal w/ all that hair yet, esp. if it's not mine. My hair is presently apl but I'm not going to cut, color, or straighten it to achieve any of the looks that I've had over the last 9 mos. I'll see where I'm at when I hit 13 mos on my bday...but to be honest this has been expensive and I have a lot of complaints from people missing my natural hair. So I dont know about doing this for yrs on end. It's done it's job and after another install I'll be over it. I miss messing in my hair.
I've rocked my natural from 10th grade onward, prob one the most difficult times as far as peer pressure is concerned. Didn't care then dont care now. So I dont have a phobia of wearing it or some dysmorphia thinking that it's ugly. I have a goal and I'm reaching it. :rolleyes: It's my hair...I spent $200 on it. pls and thnks.