WEAVE REHAB!

Do you have a weave addiction?

• Yes! And weave me alone!

Votes: 30 16.1%
  • Yes and I have no idea what else to do with this head!

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • No! I don't touch that stuff!

Votes: 30 16.1%
  • No but it does not bother me that others wear it.

Votes: 27 14.5%
  • No but I will be getting some sooner or later.

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • No, I occasionally wear it for a certain look.

Votes: 41 22.0%
  • Why do people keep making these threads? Get some business!

Votes: 31 16.7%

• Total voters

Demi27

I'm just gonna answer the question. I'm not really concerned with the OP's tone (mainly because I didn't see the issue. That could be because I just scanned through her post).

OP, to answer you question I used to be dependent on weaves (sewn in and glued), but stopped. I stopped the sew in because the thread used to irritate my scalp something fierce. My scalp would be tore up! I stoped glueing them in because it would rip my hair out.

I just started wearing tree braids (which I love...see avatar). Essentially, that's a form of a weave and braids.

I think weaves are ok. I personally hate bad looking weaves. I just hate when women wear weaves and don't take care of them. I have seen a lot of women who think just because they have some kind of hair on their head (whether it looks good or not) that they don't have to take care of it, but that's my personal preference. I'm not getting into their business, but I can have an opinion about it. I'm sure people will have their opinion about me and my braids. Not really caring. LMAO!!!

RegaLady

I completely agree with the bolded. I think the combination of miseducation and eurocentric conditioning has attributed to this.

By goly, I think you have answered your own question!:rolleyes: I understand why you may think that some women are dependent on them(the ones without PS or just covering it up), but there are times I say, can you blame them. It is the same reason why people go running to get relaxers every 6 weeks, or why some women grow their natural hair and get a blown out, to look acceptable and feel pretty. I think every woman is guilty of this, whether you wear weave or not. Sure the difference is weave is not naturally someone's hair, but is a relaxer(no problem with it), is a natural who blow dries(nothing against that). It can be stunning that 9 out of 10 women wear weaves, but I think our focus should be on other things:ohwell:. People have made their mind up in the morning when they got dressed, they were just going to do them:look:.

glamazon386

ITA, I am a "to each his own" person as well. However, when my friend came to my home unhappy and crying that she can't do a damn thing with her hair and actually has to cut her hair and the weave out because of a bad weaver then yes I make it my business. I was so frustrated because I was trying to give her tips on how to keep her hair moisturized. And she fought me every step of the way because I have a looser curl pattern than she and she just kept saying we have different hair. I tried to tell her it didn't matter. I also felt guilty because I am happy with my hair except my fear of trimming and impatience with aquiring my hair goal.

Oh, and then there is my sis-in law, Lawd! She still uses the "good hair" term. :wallbash: She used to wear weaves and wigs. I think I helped her a little. She said that because of her type of hair it would not grow past her shoulders. I asked her how often she cut it and of course every month she gets a trim. I told her that if she wanted longer hair cutting it isn't the way to do it. :spinning:

Maybe I just needed to vent. :perplexed

You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. It happens all the time. This board can make people wanna feel like Captain Save a Strand. Saving the world one broken off damaged head at a time. :nono:

yuriko

I think like a lot of black people, you are associating weave with low self esteem which I dont believe is the case. I don't believe myself or anyone else has the right to judge people for their hair choices, I know certain people that think I am way too obsessed and spend way too much time on my hair. I know many white and spanish women who get hair extensions, to get that extra something special.
When i think about it, a blowdry in many white salons is $45, and we all know that dont last long. Getting a wave ranges from $60-100. I carry mine for 3-4 weeks, others for 2-3 months, It seems like a fair investment to me. funny enough, most of my weaves are short styles, because I dont want to cut off all my real hair just to look like rihanna.

If you dont like weave, good for you, style your hair whichever way you like best. Everyone gets luxuries they can't always afford, from cars to expensive cars, you name it. There is no need to judge others for their choices, if you dont like the way it looks, just look away

jerjer29

I don't care if people wear weaves, because people on this board have very good reasons to wear them (to hide their hair and such to grow it strong). What i don't believe in is being completely dependent on weaves and wigs. I feel like it's such a double standard for black women though because white girls wear weave too (not as much as black women though) and they get NO slack for it. But personally that's just me, because some women truly don't feel themselves without a weave. And a good example is my sister's friend, like her hair is just a wreck, and she can't go anywhere without her weave and actually tries to pass off her weave as real hair. It's obvious this girl has grown an attachment to it, and i don't think it's healthy for anyone to grow an attachment to something that is not apart of them. I've never had a weave except for braids, and anytime i got braids it was forced by mom because i HATE braids lol but thats a different story. But my point being is you should wear weave and wigs as a style option and not taken so seriously.

Hopefully i didn't offend anyone, lol i keep reading over my post making sure i didn't. I dont think everyone who wears a weave or wig is self hating and needs to fit some standard. I just don't think they should be relied on too much.

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

[/b]
By goly, I think you have answered your own question!:rolleyes: I understand why you may think that some women are dependent on them(the ones without PS or just covering it up), but there are times I say, can you blame them. It is the same reason why people go running to get relaxers every 6 weeks, or why some women grow their natural hair and get a blown out, to look acceptable and feel pretty. I think every woman is guilty of this, whether you wear weave or not. Sure the difference is weave is not naturally someone's hair, but is a relaxer(no problem with it), is a natural who blow dries(nothing against that). It can be stunning that 9 out of 10 women wear weaves, but I think our focus should be on other things:ohwell:. People have made their mind up in the morning when they got dressed, they were just going to do them:look:.
Could it also be the ability to manage it easier. I've been natural for years now, and I know that my hair, which is closing in on Mid back is just too much to take care of, as it is also super thick. I've thought many times about just A. Buzzing it off (but I've done that before and immediately wanted it back. B.Weaving it up, so that I could have a BREAK. I mean it takes me three-four hours to do it when I wash it. Or C. Relax it.
Trust me, I don't just think the euro-centric attitude is there. I will say what others will kill me for saying, it's easier to style my hair when it's straight (flat iron anyone?). I know that's horrible to say, but I just wrap it, and put on my silk head scarf, wake up, comb it down with my fingers and go. I've heard these arguments from friends with twists, and I say girl you know how long it takes to style your hair, and then if you want it to stay looking good and not frizzy, you've got lots of maintanence to do, unless you have a less curly hair texture, mine is mostly 4a. So in review, I'm even thinking of doing it to just get a break. Yes I'll go wash and condition it weekly at a dominican salon, but most of my hair will be up and I can move on with my life faster. I love natural hair, and I love thick hair, and I love long hair, but I think that you should be able to wear it any way you want without others "assuming" why you're doing it. Then it goes to ask so what? Even if you're doing it because you love straight, so what? Or so what if you're doing it for the ease of styling. Why should anyone be judged for anything they do to their hair. I've been natural for years and I've noticed some of my natural friends have a "superior" attitude to those with relaxers. And I always thought that was crazy. No one is better than anyone. People do things to their hair for many reasons, the thing I think is just to be conscious of why you're doing it, and to do it for yourself and not for others (including society or boyfriends or whatever!). If a weave is maintained and looks great I say work it if you want to!

bravenewgirl87

I don't wear weaves, but I will wear braids as needed, so I will answer with that in mind.

#1 - it is not that serious. Women all over the world, of all races, wear weaves, wigs, clip-ins, braids, etc. It is not that serious. I look at it the same way i do with make-up and nail polish. Just doing your thing to make your self look the way you want.

#2 - yes it is a pain for me to get braids. But you know what? I can workout everyday if I want and not have to worry about my hair. (I would rather look sexy and slim in my braids than have rolls without them - I HAVE to workout).

I can come home from work and study or do other things without having to worry about my hair. I can get ready for an event or function and not worry about my hair in the humidity, or sweating it out as I get ready, or getting it wet in the shower. I pick my battles and sometimes (most-times) I don't want my hair to revolve around HAIR! Life is TOO SHORT!

#3 - My hair grows better and I retain much more length when I braid it. Sometimes i don't want to admit that, but it is true and very obvious when I go a through a few sets of braids. Hey I am not mad about that.

#4 - The only problem I have with weaves it when they look unnatural and fake with cheap looking hair and tracks that show. i also hate when ladies wear them without taking full consideration for the heath of their own hair. Other that that, again, it is not that serious.

Ditto. I've worn braids majority of my life (usually in the summer) and weaves throughout HS. A friend of my is a weaveantic and she got me onto it. My hair actually grew longer and faster with braids that with any of the advice I received here. The problem was once the braids were taken out, what do I do? Which is what LHCF helped me with. I've been able to save money with this website by not heading to the salon every week.
To the OP:
Right now I am wearing a weave in about the same length as my own hair straightened. My only problem with weaves is that people assume you cannot have long hair underneath it. Never underestimate a female in a weave or a wig. Several LHCF members wear weaves and their hair is probably longer/healthier/thicker than your own. Its how they were able to retain length until they got to their goals.

My other issue is men/non-black people's snarky comments about black women wearing weaves. If I were to really start exposing how many women of other races were snatching up European Silky it would make heads spin. The only difference between theirs and black women's is the method they go about it. Not many black women are doing fusion they way they might wear quick weaves, wigs,pieces and sew-ins. Fusion is undetectable, so people don't know that you are wearing them (although I can tell because most non-black women get very shotty jobs done and don't get the hair cut to blend it with their own).

Also, please.... don't wear natural hair pieces with a relaxer.

CurlyMoo

DAYUMMMM! :perplexed I forgot about this thread. :lachen: Someday I hope that every Black woman has hair to her knees and will have no need for weave. Even if they use weave as a protective style to get there.

gabulldawg

I never really messed with weaves too much. I think I've had maybe 3 weaves my whole life. I hated not having access to my scalp and all the itching that I would always get with weaves. But my big thing are wigs, half-wigs, and phony ponys. I have a box FULL of hair and my family LOVES to make fun of me about it. But it never fails that when I go and get my own hair done they drool all over themselves about how pretty and long it is, AND they want to ask ME to do their hair when they need help. I love fake hair. It really helps me out when I have no idea how to handle my hair when it's time for a relaxer. Throwing on a phony pony or a 3/4 wig is much better than slapping your hair in a ponytail or bun IMO, especially when you want to look elegant.

I definitely know that there are women out there who rely on weaves and fake hair and their own hair suffers for it. I personally will NEVER understand that, but I guess everyone has their own opinions and are entitled to do what they want to do. :yep:

bravenewgirl87

Many women are dependent on weaves for various reasons. For some people, I think weave is like apart of the wardrobe. Like if you go to an interview you wear a suit instead of jeans and a t-shirt. It just adds that certain about of confidence. Based on my niece it's usually around the time the weave is first put in, when it's nice and neat. My niece has hair just as long as her weave. Which is just above APL. When she first started wearing it she had short hair and used to fry it and dye it. So I think wearing the weave has taken pressure off her natural hair and has allowed it to grow without breakage. In a rare sighting yesterday, I saw her natural hair styled. However, I do believe her recent financial situation has been the reason behind this. As she is someone who wears weave very often. With some of the styles I see her wearing I agree that it would be best that she does use weave.

Yea? That sucks i never understood why certain people like weaves so much. For some its because they don't know how to take care of their own hair, but I would really recommend them putting forth the effort to do the research. There is more information for black naturals than there is for relaxed women.

Kurlee

Ditto. I've worn braids majority of my life (usually in the summer) and weaves throughout HS. A friend of my is a weaveantic and she got me onto it. My hair actually grew longer and faster with braids that with any of the advice I received here. The problem was once the braids were taken out, what do I do? Which is what LHCF helped me with. I've been able to save money with this website by not heading to the salon every week.
To the OP:
Right now I am wearing a weave in about the same length as my own hair straightened. My only problem with weaves is that people assume you cannot have long hair underneath it. Never underestimate a female in a weave or a wig. Several LHCF members wear weaves and their hair is probably longer/healthier/thicker than your own. Its how they were able to retain length until they got to their goals.

My other issue is men/non-black people's snarky comments about black women wearing weaves. If I were to really start exposing how many women of other races were snatching up European Silky it would make heads spin. The only difference between theirs and black women's is the method they go about it. Not many black women are doing fusion they way they might wear quick weaves, wigs,pieces and sew-ins. Fusion is undetectable, so people don't know that you are wearing them (although I can tell because most non-black women get very shotty jobs done and don't get the hair cut to blend it with their own).

Co-sign with the bolded:grin:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I picked the 1st answer. I rather buy str8 weave then to flat iron my naturally curly hair everyday or buy curly than to retouch messed by curls daily with a curling iron. Its just me:look:

bellebebe

All I have to say is, "people wear it for different reasons". I don't know why some people get mad when others think negatively of weave. I wear weave all the time even if I don't need it but My a$$ is lazy lol that's my excuse. It saves time and girl, that's just how you feel about it. There's no point for the other ladies who only disagree with you have to jump at your throat.

almond eyes

My best friend who has very healthy hair that is shoulder length uses a weave as a protective style. She wears a weave because of her job in Africa where she encounters a lot of dust and the water situation is not great. When she is in France or the States she gives the weave a rest. I think there is a big myth that black women who wear weaves do so because they don't have hair or they are lazy. Though, I will agree that one can develop a dependence on them.

Best,
Almond Eyes

sweetsuccess

i can honestly say i was a weave hater... but then i decided to transition... and i was introduced to LHCF and the atlanta girls had a meeting .... n we all talkd about our one love in common.. hair, and we went around the table talkn about eachother regimens.. then one lady (bauderldy) was talkn about her hair and mentioned it was a weave... i almost went crazy.. it lookd so natural.. i considered doing it.. n have been getting sew ins ever since... its been a great protective style helping me MAJORLY through my transition process.. and has help my hair grow rapidly..... i was stuck at neck length for the longest... n as of my first sew in april 26, 2008... i can proudly say im full SL if not, more.... i get sew ins every now n then, i love wearing my own hair more.. but the sew-ins r just soo convenient. since april 26, ive had 3 sew ins.. n i TODAY just got my fourth.
u can see my progress (due to weavin it up) in my siggy.
anywho- HAPPY HAIR GROWING LADIES!!!
.......... xoxo :)

Ediese

To the OP:

OMG...You are sooooo right!!! I get this all the time from people. I'm precepting a new lady at my job, and I always catch her looking intently at my weave. :ohwell: It's really funny to me though because she has NO idea that my hair length is far surpassing hers and the weave. This is just the easiest and sure fire way for me to retain my 6" each year.

Last edited:

Ediese

i can honestly say i was a weave hater... but then i decided to transition... and i was introduced to LHCF and the atlanta girls had a meeting .... n we all talkd about our one love in common.. hair, and we went around the table talkn about eachother regimens.. then one lady (bauderldy) was talkn about her hair and mentioned it was a weave... i almost went crazy.. it lookd so natural.. i considered doing it.. n have been getting sew ins ever since... its been a great protective style helping me MAJORLY through my transition process.. and has help my hair grow rapidly..... i was stuck at neck length for the longest... n as of my first sew in april 26, 2008... i can proudly say im full SL if not, more.... i get sew ins every now n then, i love wearing my own hair more.. but the sew-ins r just soo convenient. since april 26, ive had 3 sew ins.. n i TODAY just got my fourth.
u can see my progress (due to weavin it up) in my siggy.
anywho- HAPPY HAIR GROWING LADIES!!!
.......... xoxo :)

Great progress!!

sweetmia22

i love weaveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. well i wear it because it gives my hair a break from styling and heating appliances and i think it looks good if you can rock it right. i dont think it matters how people wear their hair so what makes you feel happy. i didnt start wearing weaves until my stylist totally messed up my hair that i had to bc and i dont see any problem with it. i'm unbeweaveable and i love it lol..

Nice Lady

How often and how long do you weave?

I used to wear it on and off for approximately 2 years.

Why do you wear weave? Because it is easier to have non-busted hair when you workout allot and not have to worry about your hair.

How many of you guys wear so much weave and so often that you think you might have a problem? I don't think it is a problem--but I still wanna go back but I am afraid that I will have a setback.

Do you feel you need therapy? For what purpose? I am not snorting the tracks or drinking them.

Is it really protective styling or just an easy way to style your hair because you don't have time or energy to deal with your natural hair Protective styling.

Nice Lady

I don't think that anyone should really be offended. On LHCF, I thought we can freely express our opinions, I think that Curly Moo is merely expressing her opinions and thoughts. While I may not agree with it, I don't find it offensive because I have had white people let me know about my weave(and also, that we only wear weaves if we are not bi-racial) and I calmly informed them about their own(i.e., Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Kim Kardashian, etc).