Weekly Protein - Is it just me?

claud-uk

I'm transitioning, with around 2" relaxed ends left mostly around the edges. If I miss my weekly protein treatment all hell (and hair) breaks loose. Just like being back in the old days before my HHJ, when I could simply shake my head and see hairs falling on my clothes/desk.

I now know what they mean when they say "my hair loves protein". Does anyone else have to use protein very regularly like this? Anybody have a theory on this? Seems to affect my non-relaxed hair too.

growbaby

Yes! I use a hard protein once a month, a mild protein 1-2x a month, and a light protein 2x a month. My hair loves it.

claud-uk

Wow, that's some serious use! Thanks!

I'd love to know what, if any, is the 'science' behind this.

virtuenow

Weekly protein is a must for me. It helped to turn my hair around so that it could accept moisture. ON top of that it built strenght. ETA: I use AO Gpb, the best.

Last edited:

Americka

Yes, even when i was abusing Apoghee back in the day. Now, I do a light to medium treatment weekly.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Yes! I use a hard protein once a month, a mild protein 1-2x a month, and a light protein 2x a month. My hair loves it.

growbaby
Why you had to come in here with that siggy and avatar pic. Dangit I love pics LOL
-----------------------------------

Anyways on topic, my hair likes light-moderate protein not sure about the heavy because I havent used it in so long.
My weekly DC's always include a mixture of protein wheather its ApHogee 2 min or an ORS Pak.
I like the stength its gives me.

Oh and I also use ApHogee Green Tea and the ProVit LI's and my hair loves that stuff, so I am always getting in my protein.

CurlsBazillion

Gotta have protein every time I was my hair whether its weekly or biweekly. My hair likes medium protein and henna. I can skip a treatment and I'll notice a small amount of breakage. I recently tried AO GPB :)lick:) and I think I can make it without henna and joico or biolage proteins if I use this product weekly or bi weekly.

coyacoy

Yes to weekly protein for me as well! I use a hard one 1-2/per month and a light/medium weekly

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Weekly protein here as well. If I miss a week, I pay for it in shedding, SSK's, and split ends. I do a hard protein with a beefed up MT Mix...it's like hair food for my hair.

MsLauren

Another weekly protein user here. I have more protein conditioners in my stash than moisture conditioners :lol:

Loving

I used a weekly light protein every week for the past 9 weeks - ORS Hair Mayo. My stylist just commented on how strong my hair has gotten.

ladysaraii

I'm using AO GBP for the last few weeks and it's making a real difference in my hair. That and aloe vera juice

manter26

Yep, I use Giovanni Nutrafix to cowash, cholesterol every week and toss in some Aphogee here and there. I need a lot of protein. I don't own any moisture DC's and no longer use moisture condition for cowashes.

claud-uk

Weeker here also!

I'll rotate between a Light Protein and a Light Reconstructor

IDareT'sHair - what Reconstructor do you use? Thanks

I use protein about 2-3 times a week (light to reconstructors)...I have fine relaxed hair. I "believe" fine hair is missing the medulla (sp?) and that is the science behind needing increased amounts of protein.

My hair in general is quite coarse/thick altho I do have some very very fine strands (about 10%). Thanks for the info on the medulla, I'm off to look into it a bit more.

Weekly protein here as well. If I miss a week, I pay for it in shedding, SSK's, and split ends. I do a hard protein with a beefed up MT Mix...it's like hair food for my hair.

Gulp! :lol:

Another weekly protein user here. I have more protein conditioners in my stash than moisture conditioners :lol:

Do you have any protein cons that are particularly good for a co-wash? I usually do my proper PTx on Sunday so I'm looking for a recommendation for my midweek co-wash. Thanks!

Yep, I use Giovanni Nutrafix to cowash, cholesterol every week and toss in some Aphogee here and there. I need a lot of protein. I don't own any moisture DC's and no longer use moisture condition for cowashes.

What cholesterol do you use? I just bought Mirpur Organic Soy Cholesterol that cost $2 for 564g and it left my hair feeling soft, strong and heavy, it's gone straight to the top of my PTx list :yep:

Thanks ladies for all your replies, we're a pretty special bunch :yep::grin:

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I used to say my hair loves Protein until I got Protein overload and it broke my Hair off. I do protein treatment 1x monthly, light protein weekly. Occasionally I'll use a protein moisturizer but I always balance my protein use with moisture.

claud-uk

I used to say my hair loves Protein until I got Protein overload and it broke my Hair off. I do protein treatment 1x monthly, light protein weekly. Occasionally I'll use a protein moisturizer but I always balance my protein use with moisture.

PinkSunshine77 - did you go from relaxed-natural or vice-versa at the time when you got your protein overload?

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
claud-uk. Lol, I ain't skeerd Gurl! When they changed the MT Formula, we found ways to add back all the good stuff, and make it great again. I put a lot of hard proteins in there, but I also put amino's, neem, and some Aussie 3min in there to take the edge off. It's the Only reason I've been retaining so well.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
claud-uk

Right now I'm using Claudie's Reconstructor some others in no particular order:

SheScentIt Okra Reconstructor
Nexxus Keraphix
Nexxus Emergencee
Tigi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor
Pureology
L'Anza
Joico K-Pak Reconstructor

irisak

Nope my hair loves protein. I use a ors replenishing weekly and do a hard protein treatment as needed. It helps my hair accept moisture.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

claud-uk

claud-uk. Lol, I ain't skeerd Gurl! When they changed the MT Formula, we found ways to add back all the good stuff, and make it great again. I put a lot of hard proteins in there, but I also put amino's, neem, and some Aussie 3min in there to take the edge off. It's the Only reason I've been retaining so well.

:lol: at the bolded! MrsJaiDiva - How do you bear the smell of neem? That stuff smells evil!

claud-uk

Right now I'm using Claudie's Reconstructor some others in no particular order:

SheScentIt Okra Reconstructor
Nexxus Keraphix
Nexxus Emergencee
Tigi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor
Pureology
L'Anza
Joico K-Pak Reconstructor

IDareT'sHair - Nexxus is on my goal wishlist. Do you alternate protein with the reconstructor, or do you always do both?

I'm currently using:

Mirpur Organic Soy Cholesterol
Vitale Olive Mayonnaise
^ leave hair feeling soft, strong, heavy

Le Kair Keratin Cholesterol
^ leaves hair feeling a little "thin"

BSS Wheat Protein Mask
Aphogee 2 Minute
^ leaves hair feeling fairly normal

+ Egg White either alone for a light PTx or with one of the above for a heavier Tx.

Sorry for all the questions ladies, you're being such a great help :yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@claud-uk Usually 1 week I'll do Protein, the next week Reconstructor depending on how my hair feels.

Each are followed up with Moisture.

Yes, Nexxus Keraphix and Emergencee are both good with solid consistent results.

I also like Sebastian Penetraitt Reconstructor also, Giovanni Nutra-Fix and please don't let me forget Aubrey Organics GPB (which is a wonderful balance of protein/moisture). Also very nice.

There are a lot of 'good' reconstructors out there.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
claud-uk. :nono: The neem smell is a hard beast to conquer... I use about 20 ml of chocolate perfume oil...it's the only one that makes it halfway bearable. I can still smell it, but it's muted. MT smells like piña colada too, so the neem isn't killing me. The first time I made that mix, I didn't include the chocolate fragrance oil...the neem stank was so strong I couldn't sleep right. It kept waking me up! :lachen:

I'd never give it up tho...it's a scalp saver!

Last edited:

claud-uk

@claud-uk Usually 1 week I'll do Protein, the next week Reconstructor depending on how my hair feels.

Each are followed up with Moisture.

Yes, Nexxus Keraphix and Emergencee are both good with solid consistent results.

I also like Sebastian Penetraitt Reconstructor also, Giovanni Nutra-Fix and please don't let me forget Aubrey Organics GPB (which is a wonderful balance of protein/moisture). Also very nice.

There are a lot of 'good' reconstructors out there.

Thanks ever so much IDareT'sHair - I just purchased IC Fantasia Super Concentrated Reconstructor, I think I'll do my usual PTx on Sundays and then the Reconstructor during my mid-week cowash (between the oil prepoo and the con) :yep:

claud-uk. :nono: The neem smell is a hard beast to conquer... I use about 20 ml of chocolate perfume oil...it's the only one that makes it halfway bearable. I can still smell it, but it's muted. MT smells like piña colada too, so the neem isn't killing me. The first time I made that mix, I didn't include the chocolate fragrance oil...the neem stank was so strong I couldn't sleep right. It kept waking me up! :lachen:

I'd never give it up tho...it's a scalp saver!

Hahaha, I can only use it now for anti-insect use, I smear it round the open windows and doors and hope it keeps nasty flies out the house. What does it do for your scalp? I have TWO tubs! :lol: