Protein Q&A

LifeafterLHCF

Keeping a eye on this bc I get a little hair in my comb and I'm nervous bc I thought if your hair is mad healthy you would get no hair in your comb.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Keeping a eye on this bc I get a little hair in my comb and I'm nervous bc I thought if your hair is mad healthy you would get no hair in your comb.
GoddessMaker, I'm of the belief that slight breakage is unavoidable and will happen no matter the hair's health. Others argue they get zero breakage. I truly don't know how they do it because as the hair ages, it gets old, weak and snaps, unless of course you trim it before it snaps. I just don't know how they never ever get breakage. Perhaps I'm the anomaly and am doing something wrong.

faithVA

Of course I will post any of my experiences with protein. I will probably stick to the AO GPB since I have it. I'm not sure the next time I will use it but I will keep updating what's going on with my hair.

Ogoma

I like that list of hidden proteins. I avoid proteins in my leave-ins, stylers, moisturizers, but it is often hard to tell. Thanks divachyk!

irisak

I avoided protein like the plague for about six months. All my hair products were moisturizing as well as my dcs. In turn my hair would not retain moisture at all and was weird feeling when dry. After I took down my last install I did an aphogee 2 step and my hair felt soft and moist even before the "moisturizing" 2 step. Mushiness has never been my signal instead not retaining the moisture my hair usually thrives on is how my hair usually asks for protein.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

temfash

I avoided protein like the plague for about six months. All my hair products were moisturizing as well as my dcs. In turn my hair would not retain moisture at all and was weird feeling when dry. After I took down my last install I did an aphogee 2 step and my hair felt soft and moist even before the "moisturizing" 2 step. Mushiness has never been my signal instead not retaining the moisture my hair usually thrives on is how my hair usually asks for protein.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

I had the same identical experience, I've realised that I need protein often in my regimen mild to light proteins work best for me. Mane and tail original, profective growth deep conditioner and AOGPB are my favourites.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I know that my hair likes ApHogee 2 Minute Reconstructor and its main protein is Hydrolyzed Keratin followed by Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein

My hair also like Nexxus Emergencee and its main protein is Collagen Amino Acids.....IDK what that is :perplexed

Is SAA and Keratin Amino Acids the same?

Last edited:

sunnieb

When I first began my HHJ before finding LHCF, my hair broke daily. I had little pieces of hair all over my sink every morning. :nono:

I was in Sally's and saw the Motions CPR label mentioned breakage, so I bought it on a whim. I dc'd with it every week, even after finding LHCF. I will never forget how my breakage ceased immediately.

It's a light protein, but it works perfectly for me. Any "breakage" I have now is self-inflicted (over-manipulation, yanking out hair toys) and not because of unhealthy hair.

divachyk

Anyone know what these are and how light/medium/strong they are? I found these in some of the products I've used in the past.
Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans
Hydrolzed Mucopolysac Charides
Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Keratin

LightEyedMami

aphoghee 2 minute has always been good for me, i can use it ever other week with no problem....i have AOGPB (although i have not used that yet)....otherwise my hair doesn't like much protein, i tried mayo a LONG time ago, and my hair was hard. If GPB works out for me that will be great.

ETA: i think i just had an ephiphany :lol: , my hair likes keratin!!...because not only does it like the Aph 2 minute, it also like the aph keratin mist (i use it when i flat iron)...

Last edited:

mamaore

Maybe it wasn't the Organix coconut. Perhaps it was too much protein back to back. You did the 2 step 2 weeks ago, then used AOGPB and then Oranix coconut. Maybe that combination is too much. I'm back tracking now though because I really don't know :lol:

But thanks for the info on the strand test. Maybe I will only do protein after doing that. As a natural I don't recall my hair's elasticity changing much. But now I can pay more attention.

Probably, it was too much IDK anymor. Anyway I washed my hair today and I stayed far away from Protein. I'm still seeing mid strand breakage. :nono:. My hair has really thinned out over the last several months from this breakage.

@mamaore what other products did you use in your rollerset perhaps it was the leave in or setting lotion....

Nix08 I used Lottabody diluted at 4:1 with water. I also used Chi Silk Infusion in addition to my moisturizing leavein

mamaore

Aireen, I thought I was the only one that experienced this. I absolutely cannot use any protein product or chelating shampoo after about 8 weeks post relaxer. Its tangle city - huge chunks of tangles that refuse to seperate no matter what I use.

Aireen

Aireen, I thought I was the only one that experienced this. I absolutely cannot use any protein product or chelating shampoo after about 8 weeks post relaxer. Its tangle city - huge chunks of tangles that refuse to seperate no matter what I use.
I only realized this after I got to waist length, mamaore so it took me a while to figure out what my hair needs at certain points in time. You're definitely not the only one.

greenandchic

@divachyk, thanks for starting this thread, I'm looking forward to the responses.

@faithVA I did the wet strand assessment. In the shower I pulled on a strand of hair gently. The test says hair that needs protein will stretch and not return back to its original position. It will be stretched out. My hair felt this way. It stretched for a long time and when I tried to guide the hair back to its original length, that strand was just limp. :nono: obviously I felt that the hair was not elastic enough. So I used Aphogee 2 step 2 weeks ago. I did not see any breakage - at least not more than I ususally see.

Last wash, I did the test again... meh still the same. So I used AO GBP as a DC on dry hair. After washing out the AOGBP, I did the assessment - Hair seemed more elastic. 2 days later I did a cowash with Organix coconut conditioner and then ponytailed rollerset. The breakage was out of this world. Its been a long time I saw so many short and mid strands breaking off. I initially thought maybe it was from manipulation but :nono: for the last 4 days it has continued despite doing M&S with mositurizing products.

Now hair dry hair snaps on touch. Obviously I went too far, it could be the Organix Coconut conditioner. I used this product faithfully for 2 years because I loved the smell and slip and my hair never retained growth. I havent used it since January this year so I think my hair may hate the protein in this product because I have retined at least 2 inch since February despite 4 trim sessions. I dont know what to make of all of it.

I experienced that when I used Aphrogee 2-Step twice within an 8 week period. Way too much for me. I also should have closely looked at every conditioner and styler I have for protein, including some gels I use. Now I just stick to conditioning proteins; only use them once every couple of months and rely on henna for my main source of strength.

Evolving78

i don't even know if i posted in here, but i know i can't use protein at this point. i can use products that don't have protein high up on the ingredient list.

winona

i like to use neutral protein filler in my shampoo mix(~2 weeks) and that normally keeps my protein levels pretty good. Occasionally(~8 weeks) I will do a hard protein treatment like Dudley DRC 28.

faithVA

Ladies that are protein sensitive, do you think it would be enough to use coconut oil as a prepoo? Since for some of us it seems like coconut oil acts like a protein. Would coconut oil be enough to replace other types of protein treatments?

I have been thinking about what I have been doing to my hair
--I've prepooed with coconut oil. Not often but I have.
--I have done henna monthly
--I tried using the AO GPB

and even if protein isn't high up on the list of my other products, there is probably some in there. It's no wonder that my hair is having a fit. Any one of those is too much. But doing them all within the same month may explain why my hair never seems soft. When I had a TWA I just shampooed and maybe conditioned (don't remember) and sprayed my hair with Sta Sof Fro.

I have moved the coconut oil, the henna and the AO GPB to the back of the shelf for now. I'm pulling out the mudwash, the Tresemme Naturals and the AO WC for the next 5 weeks.

divachyk

faithVA, I am unsure. I suggest trying it and if you start to see unusual breakage, you might need to wet strand test your hair to see if you are lacking or needing protein and proceed from there. I use protein infrequently. I let the wet strand test & breakage be my guide for when I need to treat.

virtuenow

If your strands are tough and have good elasticity, then you probably do not need protein very often. However, if need to build your strands back up, I don't see why light protein would be a problem.

charmtreese

@faithVA - my dd is natural and rarely needs protein the only protein I use on her is SAA it's more than enough.

I recently pulled out my silk peptide powder and mixed it with water and eo's, my natural hair is in HEAVEN!!! I hope it continues to work for me. :lick:

faithVA

If your strands are tough and have good elasticity, then you probably do not need protein very often. However, if need to build your strands back up, I don't see why light protein would be a problem.

I think you ladies are right. I don't need protein that often. I was pulling on my hair yesterday doing a search and destroy and my hair isn't going anywhere. You can yank on it like a rope. Now if the ends are damaged then yes I have breakage but when it breaks I can see the split end or the SSK on the end so it was doomed anyway.

I realize I haven't been slowing down enough to really notice my hairs elasticity or strength.

So I am getting ready to go into an intense moisture phase. And I will monitor my hair every week.

Thanks Ladies!

divachyk

Keep us posted faithVA. I'd love to hear how your moisture only regi is going. I truly think you'll be ok since our hair clings on to protein for periods of time.