What a difference a year makes!!!

blackbarbie

I went to get my usual flat iron and curl this past Friday (although since most of my hair is thick and there are very few relaxed ends, I could have gone for just wearing it straight) and I was looking back through my pics on photobucket and realized that I have a picture that was taken just about a year ago with the same style.

The first pic (which is also my avi pic) was taken March 1, 2008, 13 months into my transition. The second pic was taken this past Friday, February 20, 2009, approximately 25 months into my transition (a little over 2 years)

I just looked at how much relaxed hair I cut in just a year's time frame. Whew! It's a lot, but guess what? I am just 4 more inches closer to my goal of being 100% natural!

Both the styles were done by blow drying my hair straight, flat ironing it and then curling with the flat iron. I maintain the curls by making sure the hair is moisturized very well, sealing the ends with coconut oil and using one big jumbo flexi rod nightly. The curls last for about 2 weeks.

THEN: March 1, 2008 (13 months into my transition)

NOW: February 20, 2009 (24 months into my transition)

I must say that I still miss the length and I thought once I got a chunk of the relaxed ends off to where you couldn't see the contrast in the natural hair and the relaxed ends, I would enjoy wearing it straight again, but I am not so sure. I have gotten used to wearing it curly.

lilmsjanet

wowwwww your hair is always amazing how do you get your curls like that i could never get curls like thast even if i went tot a salon??????

hopeful

Both pics are lovely but I :heart2:the 2nd pic! Your hair seems more alive and vibrant. You'll be at your old length in no time:yep:. You are doing a great job with your hair, very inspiring.

blackbarbie

wowwwww your hair is always amazing how do you get your curls like that i could never get curls like thast even if i went tot a salon??????

The flexi rod is my friend! After the stylist flat irons it, he curls it with the flat iron, but these are not the curls I count on for the next 2 weeks. Once I get home, I immediately gather all the hair in the top of my head and roll all of it on a jumbo flexi rod the size of a quarter. I just do that each night and the next morning I have curls.

blackbarbie

Both pics are lovely but I :heart2:the 2nd pic! Your hair seems more alive and vibrant. You'll be at your old length in no time:yep:. You are doing a great job with your hair, very inspiring.

I am going to have to agree with you about the 2nd pic. Even though my hair is shorter, it feels soooo much better! Not only can I say what a difference a year makes (in length), I also have to comment on the way my hair feels and looks too. When it's flat ironed, there is more of a natural sheen to it. Even though I can't make a nice full bun quite yet, I will still take the health over the length any day:yep:

Last edited:

Morenita

So pretty. I swear, you have the most beautiful "rollerset" I've seen on this board yet. :love4: And this isn't the first time that I've seen your hair, so I'm not just saying that! Talk about a transition inspiration!

Gawgeous sweetie! :gorgeous:

blackbarbie

So pretty. I swear, you have the most beautiful "rollerset" I've seen on this board yet. :love4: And this isn't the first time that I've seen your hair, so I'm not just saying that! Talk about a transition inspiration!

Gawgeous sweetie! :gorgeous:

Thanks hon! :grin: @ my "rollerset"

SmartyPants

I went to get my usual flat iron and curl this past Friday (although since most of my hair is thick and there are very few relaxed ends, I could have gone for just wearing it straight) and I was looking back through my pics on photobucket and realized that I have a picture that was taken just about a year ago with the same style.

The first pic (which is also my avi pic) was taken March 1, 2008, 13 months into my transition. The second pic was taken this past Friday, February 20, 2009, approximately 25 months into my transition (a little over 2 years)

I just looked at how much relaxed hair I cut in just a year's time frame. Whew! It's a lot, but guess what? I am just 4 more inches closer to my goal of being 100% natural!

Both the styles were done by blow drying my hair straight, flat ironing it and then curling with the flat iron. I maintain the curls by making sure the hair is moisturized very well, sealing the ends with coconut oil and using one big jumbo flexi rod nightly. The curls last for about 2 weeks.

THEN: March 1, 2008 (13 months into my transition)

NOW: February 20, 2009 (24 months into my transition)

I must say that I still miss the length and I thought once I got a chunk of the relaxed ends off to where you couldn't see the contrast in the natural hair and the relaxed ends, I would enjoy wearing it straight again, but I am not so sure. I have gotten used to wearing it curly.

WOW...

If my hair was as thick and healthy as yours I don't think I'd care about length!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Oh my goodness! I'm coming to where ever you are so I can get that beautiful style. :yep: That is so so pretty. I know you've posted pics with that style before, but it is awe-inspiring everytime.