What are some bandwagons you jumped on that was a major FAIL for you?

NaiyaAi

1.) Sulfate-free shampoo. Was supposed to not strip my hair, I ended up with major buildup.
2.) Finger combing. Was supposed to decrease breakage from less manipulation, but it didn't detangle well enough for me.
3.) ACV rinses. At the time, I didn't know my hair was low porosity.

I'm sure there are many more that I haven't thought of yet. I hopped on a lot of bandwagons when I first started my HHJ.

Lilmama1011

Mines was acv rinses, no matter how little apple cider i use it dries my hair out. It was suppose to make my hair soft

Only shampooing once a month and co washing for three weeks was suppose to keep my hair moisturized longer, my hair was actually ok but not taking in all moisture and had buildup

Using all natural products was suppose to be the best thing but it didn't do anything , but some non natural products works better.I do use natural products after washing and conditioning my hair though

Washing hair as a whole going in one direction was suppose to keep tangles away when washing, it still tangled now i wash in four and twist up

Mayonnaise and eggs tangled my hair so bad, hard protein is not for me just medium or light protein every other week

Pineappling hair at night to preserve curl only stretched many curls and made it stand my hair up when released lol i just put a bonnet on and go to sleep. With flexi rods i can sleep either and wake up and shake and fluff and be fine. With curl formers i have to sleep not on my hair or it will be ruined

Last edited:

nerdography

- Sulfate free shampoos. My scalp never got clean enough and I had build up.
- Co-washing. Left build up on my hair and my scalp was always itchy.
- No mineral oil and no silicones. My hair is so dry without them.
- Going natural. My hair suffered for extrme dryness and constant matting. I'm still natural now, but I flat iron. My hair does better we straight. I don't have any matting and it's easier to keep my hair moisturized.

ETA//
-Sealing with oils dries my hair out so fast
-No Heat. My hair fairs much better when stretched
-MSM. I had difficulty breathing after taking it

Last edited:

faithVA

Sulfur oils for hair growth. Tried 2 different brands. Couldn't use it long enough to see if it did anything to my hair. My face turned into 1 bright red, painful blotch. No matter how I diluted it, my face would start itching within an hour of using.

Biotin for hair growth: Anything over 1000 mcg breaks me out. I tried it off and on for months.

Henna to color my grays: Doesn't last a week. It takes too long. And my hair gets hard and brittle.

Oils to seal: I have purchased at least 10 different oils. Just a waste of time and leaves my hair either feeling greasy, wiry or no different. And my hair still dries out in the same amount of time.

Maybe some more. I may update later.

Last edited:

Lita

Cold water rinse..Ultimate fail..Tangles & more tangles,hard hair..

Certain shampoo bars..Caused hair to be/feel stripped..

High dose of biotin..Not good on my skin...

Tiny braids...My hair needs large braids..

Some Domincan products...Fail.

Happy Hair Growing!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
- Castor Oil. Severely allergic the facial scars are just fading
- Aloe. Breakage and mild skin allergic reaction.
- Eco Styler Gel. Breakage.
- Aphogee 2 min. Great for a couple months then the cones caught up to me. Breakage.
- Shingling. SSK and breakage
- No-grease & no mineral oils. My hair loves these. Food-grade isn't enough. My highly porous fine 4c just breaks (as you can see) from most everything else.
- Finger detangling. No. Fine hair = very fine tangles too small to be pulling apart for 6 hours. No again.
- Curl activators/gels. Massive glycerin in a dry climate + super shrinkage = SSK'd steel wool

BostonMaria

- Sulfur mix to make my hair grow. I got a huge rash on my neck and a pimple on my temple the size of a baby LOL Never again!
- Vaginal itch cream LMFAO didn't do anything but make me look like a damn fool in front of that CVS cashier
- MegaTek - I got 2 inches of growth out of it! Oh and migraines, lots of migraines. I felt like there ants walking on my head.
MTM - didn't see a difference in my hair but wow my nails grew like crazy!

That's all I can remember for now

faithVA

- Sulfur mix to make my hair grow. I got a huge rash on my neck and a pimple on my temple the size of a baby LOL Never again!
- Vaginal itch cream LMFAO didn't do anything but make me look like a damn fool in front of that CVS cashier
- MegaTek - I got 2 inches of growth out of it! Oh and migraines, lots of migraines. I felt like there ants walking on my head.
MTM - didn't see a difference in my hair but wow my nails grew like crazy!

That's all I can remember for now

I will be checking with you before I try anything else :yep:

That sulfur is a beast :lol:

Royalq

all topical growth aids- made me shed like a wild beast with no results

oil to seal- makes my hair dry

eggs- made my hair hard. and my hair loves protein.

aubrey organics- did nada for me.

Lilmama1011

Cold water rinse..Ultimate fail..Tangles & more tangles,hard hair..

Certain shampoo bars..Caused hair to be/feel stripped..

High dose of biotin..Not good on my skin...

Tiny braids...My hair needs large braids..

Some Domincan products...Fail.

Happy Hair Growing!

Oh yeah cold water didn't work for me either, caused hair to feel hard and tangled

g.lo

baggying and over night Dc, gave me midshaft splits!
it's a nono for my fine highly porous hair.

Blessed&higlyflavoured

overnight baggying or dc = mushy moist hair that disintegrated and a sore and tender scalp to boot.

henna = crispy ends

Shea butter, I'm allergic.

all natural products. Just because it's all natural doesn't mean its gentle. nature has some scary ish in it. and i've never had an allergic reaction from vaseline.

sulphate free shampoos. some Sulphate free shampoos are harsher than sulphate ones, the entire organix range , for example.

Blairx0

I jumped on the bagging ends bandwagon. I must say it saved my hair during a Chicago winter.

Ogoma

- Overnight DC: mushy hair
- Conditioner washing only: coated hair and scalp
- ACV rinse: hard, rough feeling hair
- Black tea rinse: hard rough hair
- DC with smashed banana/avocado/brazil nut: pulling food out of my hair for 2 days
- Mason Pearson Detangling brush: broken ends
- clarifying shampoo: using a shampoo actually made for clarifying. Stripped, dry hair that took a week to feel normal
- cherry Lola treatment: my hair went nuts. Rough, rough, rough
- Olive oil and honey DC: had to shampoo 4x to get it out
- Sealing with Shea butter/castor oil/olive oil/any heavy oil or butter: weighed down and greasy hair
- Cold water rinses: did nothing but freeze my butt off in Canadian winters
- Biotin: broke out
- Coconut oil: hair loved it, face hated it. Going to try fractionated coconut oil soon. Heard it is not acnegenic like full coconut oil.

Last edited:

ckisland

Natural hair product lines - I enjoyed a couple of them while I used them, until I stopped and realized that I could the same all natural ingredients from other lines for half the price
Homemade leave-ins and hair teas - :lachen: :nono:
Finger detangling - this is usually a waste of time and I'm apparently rougher with my fingers than with a comb
Cleansing conditioners - waste of money
DCing overnight with conditioner - was a disaster everytime. Now I only prepoo with CO and my hair loves it
Twists as a PS - small ones are ok, but any bigger and they just tangle and knot the ends, plus they get scraggly overnight
Shea butter - my hair hates all shea butter and products with shea butter except for Cantu leave-in

LexiDior

Henna- make my hair hard and dry
Tea Rinses- did nothing for my hair
DCing eggs- lets just say I use to like scrambled eggs
Being wrapped- maybe its just me but I feel like I lose so much hair this way
Cowashing- I dont see the point and neither does my hair
Finger detangling- My roots need a little more help than that

natural2008

Just using oil on my natural hair for over 3 months :0(. Girl that aaaw I can't fake curse anymore. Hair was dry as idk what and i tried All the Oils. That mess was a no no n went back to using good ole hair grease with petroleum like when I was a kid and my hair is happy now. My hair loves grease and that's bout it :0).

greenbees

Bunning! For about 2 months I was faithful keeping my hair in a bun, I usually did wet buns in the morning. I did see some growth but I also saw a horrible breakage all over my head that I'm still recovering from. Maybe I was doing it wrong but I'm too scared to try again at least for a long time. Not worth it at all :-(

RngdeCurls

-Glycerin/water spritzes: Made my hair big and sticky.

-Hot oil treatments on dry hair: Tons of breakage.

-Avocado masque DC: Made my head itch. I'm allergic.

-Trimming my hair in its curly state: Cut off too much.

-Bantu knot outs: My grandma's good church wig.

There are tons more. I was so impressionable as a new natural. :lachen:

Renewed1

Don't throw stones at me.

Natural hair movement. That was a bad idea, but I gave it 4 years and learned a lot about my hair.

BEAUTYU2U

I didn't realize I jumped on so many before reading the posts :lol:

Shea butter - miracle worker for kinky hair, just sat there.

Shingling - definition, greasy and hard hair that shrunk.

ACV - rid of buildup, just stunk.

Natural products - healthier hair, some good and some bad. It's a lot of extra effort that wasn't necessary for me and my hair.

Growth aids - growth, I'm not consistent enough to see a difference. I used cooch cream and Hair Trigger.

Shea Moisture - definition/moisture, made my fingers itch. Hello Hydration - didn't like the smell, did nothing special.

Heat protectants - no heat damage, not much difference from grease or oil, my hair damages at the same rate.

bebezazueta

Those evil spin spins. Caused my first setback. It pulled out a chunk of my hair at the crown.

HE long term relationship leave in is the devil. I still have a bottle from 3 years ago. It left my hair feeling waxy and coated.

Mane and tail conditioner. Bought a liter size and I want to throw it out. My hair gets angry with that stuff.

That Dominican conditioner that was all the rave had me shedding badly. My hair thinned out and I have been trimming for the past 2 years at MBL to thicken it back up.

Half and half relaxer method set my scalp on fire at the division line. My scalp was red. It took longer than when I relax my entire head.

Tresemme naturals conditioner is not natural. That's another big bottle I want to throw out. It made my hair confused when my hair is well trained. LOL!

Box braids. It took me tooooo long to take them out gently. Fingers are still numb.

Cleansing conditioners. Did not cleanse my hair and scalp and left my scalp unbalanced and itchy. It's a good thing I never hopped on the wen bandwagon cause Mr Dean would feel my wrath.

Daily cowashing gave me daily breakage. Too much moisture. My hair loves protein.

Lissa0821

Henna - too drying for my hair
No heat - my newgrowth must be stretched in some manner or I get breakage
Bunning - my ends didn't fair well with that
Braidouts - my ends get tangled and dry on day two

sexypebbly

Trying not to use heat. I got a ton of SSK's and I hadn't ever had that happen when I use heat. My hair just likes heat and is easier to manage amd moisturize.

BostonMaria

Just wanted to say that I will probably never learn my lesson. Right now I'm looking at a recipe for a ginger tea rinse and the thought of massaging this on my noggin just makes me giggle with happiness LOL Watch it end up giving me knots and I'll smell like a green smoothie.