Is it Important to Grade your Curls?

Risingsun

How important is it for you to grade your hair? Does it help with styling or washing? I am just interested in knowing this from you ladies. I don't see the importance at all. Also, does anyone know who came up with the grading process of 4a.....etc? Peace.

Last edited:

*Frisky*

Yes I think it's important because there are some products that just don't work as well with certain hair types. I believe Andre Walker came up with this hair typing.

southerncitygirl

Nope not ever... density, thickness, porosity & texture are far more important. I have learned so much from people with looser & kinkier textures than mine. Technique and building a reggie based on these things are far for important.

Here's vid on hair texture vs curl pattern that explains it better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIPV8siwzVo

I have never, ever sought out a product because of hair type.... I transitioned and returned to natural before all of these blogs, forums, and ytbers chronicled their journeys. Hair typing wasn't even touched on or talked about during that time. Slip, moisture, protein, and ceramides as well as how they are formulated is how I choose products for my mane. Tweaking my reggie and technique is what has helped my hair not being a copycat of someone's hair that looks similar to mine.

Risingsun

Nope not ever... density, thickness, porosity & texture are far more important. I have learned so much from people with looser & kinkier textures than mine. Technique and building a reggie based on these things are far for important.

I have never, ever sought out a product because of hair type.... I transitioned and returned to natural before all of these blogs, forums, and ytbers chronicled their journeys. Hair typing wasn't even touched on or talked about during that time. Slip, moisture, protein, and ceramides as well as how they are formulated is how I choose products for my mane. Tweaking my reggie and technique is what has helped my hair not being a copycat of someone's hair that looks similar to mine.
I think you are on the right path.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density

I agree with this for the most part, but I think knowing curl pattern can give people to look at for style ideas or to manage certain expectations. Know you are a 4b means you won't scratch your head when you can't get 3c curls to appear.

From a product standpoint, the hair properties are way more important. Being a 4a doesn't automatically mean my hair likes butters. It doesn't because it's fine and low porosity.

girlonfire

I'm basically agreeing with uofmpanther

When trying to take care of your hair the only time curl type maybe important is when detangling because tighter (and finer) curls are more prone to matting. Other than that texture, porosity, density, moisture, protein etc. Are more important when dealing with hair health. Curls are just a style.

JJamiah

To each their own. I like to know, but it isn't that I base my everything on it. It is like wanting to know all details and stats.

Jace032000

I'm going to caveat what I'm about to say with the fact that I'm just a beginner and only recently have begun to really care for my hair. Having put that disclaimer out there..I believe that hair grading and a proper regimen go hand in hand (at least for me). Knowing that my hair is 4a/4b allows me to understand that my hair can not and will not react to certain styles and products the way someone with 3B/3C hair. But with that I also know that my hair is fine and low porous --- so I have to find products that fit all of my needs (trust me it is hard). My hair loves oils but hates butters. My hair loves water based moisturizers and honey is my hair's best friend.