Did You Receive Your First Perm under 18 Years of Age?

Risingsun

Yeah I really don't know what she was thinking but my grandad always says that a childhood illness left her a little slow. I'll be sure to let my daughters know that NO ONE is to be in their hair unless I tell them it's ok.
Yes, all it takes is for you to turn your back for one hot second. It would be good to teach the girls that no one is aloud in their head unless Mommy says so. It is called setting boundaries so no one is surprised later.

terica

I was 12 and my aunts had to sneak me to the beauty shop so my grandma did not find out. They were tired of dealing with my hours of crying on wash day (long and thick). My grandma just thought I had a great blowout, but then my hair started breaking because then I started taking care of it myself. I never got past shoulder length again until I found LHCF when I was about 25, now I am just below BSL. I wish my grandma could see me now, she would be proud. MBL here I come!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Yes, all it takes is for you to turn your back for one hot second. It would be good to teach the girls that no one is aloud in their head unless Mommy says so. It is called setting boundaries so no one is surprised later.

We did have a member here once whose Mother-in-law took it upon herself to relax the daughter's hair. I remember the member being so upset. Heck, we were upset for her. Yeah, teach your girls to keep folks outta their heads!

brg240

I was 11 I think? i begged my mom. I would get teased b/c i had so many fly aways but i realize all i needed was a hair band. :nono:

I wish i hadn't though. :/ All those chemical burns for nothing.

Aviah

I was 9. I really wanted one because I saw the styles my mom and sister did, and when I asked for them I always heard "You need a relaxer for that".

nerdography

I was somewhere between 9 and 11. Before that I got my hair pressed. I asked my mother to get one because I was tired of my scalp being sore from the beautician ripping though my natural hair to comb it.

twolala

I was 13..I begged my mom to get one when I was 9 or 10 years old because my cousin had one and her hair was always so pretty and straight and I wanted to wear my hair "loose". My mom said no I was too young and my hair would fall out lol..so anyway she waited until the summer before I entered 8th grade and she put a Just For Me relaxer in me and my twin sister's hair. Now that it's been a little over a decade, I still don't regret it. I use to get them every 3 months when I was younger, now I get them once a year.

discodumpling

I was 9 and I begged and begged for it. My Dad was totally against it and for the next 20 something years he would remind me how I "ruined all that pretty hair" My Mom who has ZERO styling and hair doing ability in general was all for it though.

I've been happily nappy for 6+ yrs now and recently did another BC. I love the ease and freedom of true wash n go hair!

sheanu

Interesting, I've never heard of a one year old getting a perm before. Peace

Yeah I haven't heard of that happening to anyone else. My Mum has pictures of me after it happened. You can see where my hair fell out in patches all over. The balder areas in the pictures are where my hair grows in really rough now. It's like eternal scab hair. Elsewhere grows well.

Daughter

UK Blak
Parents were against me having a perm, my older sister did it for me when I was about 14 or 15. Then it was only twice a year, but by the time I was 17/18 I had relaxers every 2-3 months or so. Then I went back to natural hair when I was around 22.

hot_pepper96

Yeah. My sister did it when I was 8. I vaguely remember my mom being mad aboiut it. My hair ended up damaged a couple years later because my sister moved away for school and my mom didn't really know how to help me take care of my hair. And for the next 23 years afterwards I got burns on my scalp almost every time I relaxed my hair. I still can't believe I endured that for so long. I'm so glad I found Phytospecific Relaxer and Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp relaxer (the latter is the one I currently use).

Last edited:

Risingsun

Yeah I haven't heard of that happening to anyone else. My Mum has pictures of me after it happened. You can see where my hair fell out in patches all over. The balder areas in the pictures are where my hair grows in really rough now. It's like eternal scab hair. Elsewhere grows well.
Thank you for that insight. Peace