Did You Receive Your First Perm under 18 Years of Age?

biznesswmn

Yes i was 9, then again at 14, then at 19. I will prob nevr get one again unless i hav enuf money to hav an on call hair stylist. I was not/am not good at caring for relaxed hair.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Teenage years although I don't recall the specific age and no, no regrets to speak of. I wanted the relaxer for years and mom wasn't having it. Many years later she allowed it. I didn't get a relaxer by force. It was my idea. If I had any regret to speak of it would have been not having knowledge of my natural hair. I went from a press and comb to Jheri curl to relaxer. I really wanted out of the Jheri curl as it became un-cool. So my regret would have been the Jheri curl although it was cool at some point and I loved it.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
I was 12. I decided to cut all of my hair off. *lol* She angrily took me to Supercuts to get it fixed and the stylist gave me an asymmetric bob and a relaxer. And it was the first time I had and ApHogee treatment. To give you perspective, I was 12 in 1989. That stupid hair made me popular that summer.

TayMac

I was about 8 or 9 when I got my first relaxer. I did not ask for it. My mom did it because my aunt allowed my cousin to get hers done. They were all using the same stylist at that time. I do regret it because I remember my hair being fairly manageable and not super coarse as a natural and they only used grease on it.

I was 14. I did long stretches then and now (roughly 20wks). Still relaxed only now I have a flat iron I use to keep NG looking how I like it until my next touch up.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I believe I was 8 years old, I didn't have a choice and had no clue what a relaxer was anyway. My mother has always said my hair was coarse and difficult to manage so in her opinion the relaxer made it easier. I wouldn't necessarily say I regret it because despite that happening at such a young age, my mother always took excellent care of my hair. My mother is relaxed and has always had long hair, WL at its longest. To this day she's the only person that I trust to do my hair because it thrives when she does. Right now I'm attempting to transition and it's been very hard, I could see now what my mother meant about my natural hair being coarse and difficult to manage but I'm trying to deal with it to see how it goes. If I am ever blessed to have a daughter someday, I have no intention of relaxing her hair though.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

pearlific1

I was around 11-12 years old when I got my first perm and the only reason I got it was because I begged my mom to perm my hair . I did contemplate going natural when I was pregnant with my son at 19 though . But , no I have never regretted it and I still receive a perm 10years later .

I was 14-15. I also begged my mom to allow me to relax my hair. I wouldn't say that I ever regretted it. I just wanted something different. I've been natural as an adult. Honestly, my hair was longer and in a much better shape with a relaxer. I'm transitioning for the 2nd time. If my hair doesn't thrive this time around, relaxed (texlaxed) hair will be it for me.

alltangledup

wow...I must be like, a really atypical case!'cuz I'm seeing so many people who got their hair first relaxed at ages 10-13!...I had my first relaxer when I was like 5! And I've regreted forever! now i'm in my stretching phase,like 4-6 months at a time.

Risingsun

wow...I must be like, a really atypical case!'cuz I'm seeing so many people who got their hair first relaxed at ages 10-13!...I had my first relaxer when I was like 5! And I've regreted forever! now i'm in my stretching phase,like 4-6 months at a time.
Wow, do you ever play with your curly texture during your stretches? Peace

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Oh and although I had my first at 8, I do agree with waiting and not giving little girl's relaxers. I always said that if I had a daughter, I would not give her one unless she asked for it and she would have to be at least a pre-teen.

nrock

I was 14-15. I also begged my mom to allow me to relax my hair. I wouldn't say that I ever regretted it. I just wanted something different. I've been natural as an adult. Honestly, my hair was longer and in a much better shape with a relaxer. I'm transitioning for the 2nd time. If my hair doesn't thrive this time around, relaxed (texlaxed) hair will be it for me.

I feel the EXACT same way!

Lylddlebit

I received both my first and my last perm under 18 lol. I got my first perm for preschool graduation that's about 5 I think and I got my last perm in the 10th grade around 15. For a large portion of my life I just wore perms. It wasn't a decision I made consciously as a child to ask for one or a conscious decision I made when I started doing my own hair as a teenager. It was just the way I wore my hair. I wore it permed and braided before how to wear my hair was my decision. I tell everybody I went natural on accident because it's true. I had a friend whose mother was a hairdresser and she pressed my hair once for a talent show. The next time I needed to get my hair braided the same week I took my braids down and couldn't, I asked my aunt if she could press it for the week. When my aunt pressed it, my hair came out nice again. From that point on I just got a press between my braid appointments and by high school graduation's haircut I had no perm left.

Last edited:

Risingsun

Oh and although I had my first at 8, I do agree with waiting and not giving little girl's relaxers. I always said that if I had a daughter, I would not give her one unless she asked for it and she would have to be at least a pre-teen.
I agree as well. Peace

Atdow71

I begged my mother to straighten my hair before I started high school. I even had my siblings talk to her ( silly child). I was just tired of being teased.

Rozlewis

I was about 12 when I got my first relaxer. I begged my mother for a relaxer. Now many years later I wish I had never gotten one. I take good care of my 9 year old daughters hair and I always tell her how beautiful it is. I don't plan to relaxer her hair. She sees how thick and healthy her hair is. When I let her go to the stylist they always comment on how healthy her hair is. It is APL when straightened. She has full, thick, beautiful twist and braids out. I think as long as I let her experiment with her hair she will enjoy it in it natural state. It is funny because when we go places she pays attention to hair. She will look at people and whisper to me, "I think that lady is natural like me". She really enjoys it. I am contemplating transitioning but I have very thick hair that is hard to manage. I think my natural hair is 4B and my daughters is 3C.

sheanu

I actually gasped. I have no words for this...

(It's amazing what goes through our heads as kids...)

Yeah I really don't know what she was thinking but my grandad always says that a childhood illness left her a little slow. I'll be sure to let my daughters know that NO ONE is to be in their hair unless I tell them it's ok.