What Can I do About COARSE Hair?

caligirl

Is there anything short of a relaxer or texturizer that can make hair less coarse? Right now my hair feels like sand paper and I want it to feel like silk. Please, any suggestions appreciated, especially from naturals.

my hair is extremely coarse, and it can feel like a brillo pad. the only thing that has softened my hair is s curl and ntm silk touch leave in.

I agree, if your products are just sitting on top of your hair without penetrating- try clarifying to remove the buildup. Then try deep conditioning with a good moisturizing conditioner for 20-30 minutes w/ heat (or 45 mins without heat). Doing this once, preferrably twice a week will increase the softness and pliability of your hair dramatically:) Following that up with a moisturizing leave in conditioner (NTM like someone else suggested) and sealing your moisturizers in with a light coating of oil may benefit you as well:)

Thanks, ladies! I usually clarify with aloe rid and follow with Kenra moisturizing conditioner. I'm going to give porosity control and ntm a try.

Sistaslick steps have worked for me, but when I can, I leave the conditioner on overnight. It makes a big difference. Use a good cheapie like Suave or VO5, cover with a plastic cap, wrap with a scarf. Rinse in the morning. Following with a moisturizing leave-in as Sistaslick recommended and an oil.

I agree. Moisture, moisture, moisture. CO washes, overnight prepoos, and deep moisturizing conditioners often. Also, you may want to check to see if you have a hard water problem.

Sistaslick said:
I agree, if your products are just sitting on top of your hair without penetrating- try clarifying to remove the buildup. Then try deep conditioning with a good moisturizing conditioner for 20-30 minutes w/ heat (or 45 mins without heat). Doing this once, preferrably twice a week will increase the softness and pliability of your hair dramatically:) Following that up with a moisturizing leave in conditioner (NTM like someone else suggested) and sealing your moisturizers in with a light coating of oil may benefit you as well:)

sista thanks for posting this!

If your hair is dry/damaged and coarse now is NOT the time to get texturizer or any chemical treatment that will just make the problem worse.
ITA w. Sistaslick, also you may want to try CW with a good cheapie conditioner daily if you live somewhere warm, or weekly if somewhere cold, then shampoo 1 every 2 weeks or monthly. jDeep conditioning treatments with a warm damp/wet towel over your hair. Also if it's really cold you can mist like you started doing w/ Scurl no drip, aloe vera juice/water and light oil for length of your hair. hth Check out the baggie method. shea or mango butter for ends after a misting/moisturizer to seal in moisture works too. got links in my siggy

Last edited:
I also have the coarse hair type and I agree with the posters who said moisture is key. The more I moisturize, the softer my hair gets. It almost feels like my friend's hair, which is soft "by nature".
Count yourself lucky, because coarse hair has less breakage than fine, thin strands of hair. :)

Lucia said:
If your hair is dry/damaged and coarse now is NOT the time to get texturizer or any chemical treatment that will just make the problem worse.
ITA w. Sistaslick, also you may want to try CW with a good cheapie conditioner daily if you live somewhere warm, or weekly if somewhere cold, then shampoo 1 every 2 weeks or monthly. jDeep conditioning treatments with a warm damp/wet towel over your hair. Also if it's really cold you can mist like you started doing w/ Scurl no drip, aloe vera juice/water and light oil for length of your hair. hth Check out the baggie method. shea or mango butter for ends after a misting/moisturizer to seal in moisture works too. got links in my siggy

Lucia, is deep conditioning with a wet towel better than sitting under a heating cap? I wonder if the heating cap is making my hair dry. I'm also going to start washing every 2 weeks instead of once a week.

caligirl said:
Lucia, is deep conditioning with a wet towel better than sitting under a heating cap? I wonder if the heating cap is making my hair dry. I'm also going to start washing every 2 weeks instead of once a week.

I know I'm not Lucia, but I will say that for me, heat makes my hair DRIER, not more moisturized. I used to DT under the dryer, but my hair felt dry afterward. I now just use one of those mylar heating caps over a regular plastic cap, and my hair feels moisturized after at least an hour.

Also, I moisturize my hair like crazy--I have a regime, but it's too long to post here. My hair only becomes coarse (and really big) now if it's been more than a week since I've done a CW.

caligirl said:
I think so, but if that's what you have then use a plastic cap like someone said underneath, but if you want max moisture use a hair steamer will cost you or wet hot towel student hair steamer. :lol:

caligirl said:
lol, thanks girl! Is your heating cap electric?

Nope. It's just a gold mylar (that shiny balloon material) conditioning cap. My hair feels really moisturized. It's the same material they wrap you in when you go to the spa for a mud or herbal wrap. I get pretty warm in those things, so I thought it might also work well for the hair. I leave it on a minimum of an hour and a max of three.

macherieamour said:
hey gurl!!!

I have coarse hair too and sweet almond oil makes my hair really soft and smooth :)

Ooooh, where do you get sweet almond oil? Does it smell good?

macherieamour said:
hey gurl!!!

I have coarse hair too and sweet almond oil makes my hair really soft and smooth :)

Dido, I bought my from Rite Aid one day, when I noticed they have a whole oil/healthcare section.

Another tip: Overnight baggie treatments. I slept in my plastic cap last night after spraying my hair with S-Curl. My hair was so soft and still is. It is usually desert dry by this time of day but it still feels moisturized. :)

caligirl i am really glad you made this thread because i have been battling my coarse hair all my life. baglady thanx for the tip.

I find that for my 4b thick, and extremely course hair that nothing works like a moisturizing deep condition or may be a CW throughout the week. Also, on days that I do not wash I moisturize first by misting my hair with distilled water and then follow up with oil (my favorite is jojoba) to seal the moisture from the water in and concentrate on my ends especially. I agree with the other ladies that the NTM line is great at combating dryness. HTH.

spoilt1 said:
I find that for my 4b thick, and extremely course hair that nothing works like a moisturizing deep condition or may be a CW throughout the week. Also, on days that I do not wash I moisturize first by misting my hair with distilled water and then follow up with oil (my favorite is jojoba) to seal the moisture from the water in and concentrate on my ends especially. I agree with the other ladies that the NTM line is great at combating dryness. HTH.

what deep conditioner do you use? our hair types seem to be the same i dont know if you are natural or not. but my hair is really coarse and dry and i have yet to find a conditioner that moisturizes it.

spoilt1 said:

Is distilled water better than tap water?

Cali,

I have noticed with continued MSM use my hair has become much less coarse. It could be the Biotin, too.

A

aileenadq said:
Cali,

I have noticed with continued MSM use my hair has become much less coarse. It could be the Biotin, too.

A

Have you had any side effects from MSM? What brand and dose do you use?

Back