:nono::crying3:

i seriously HATE my hair

ok reading this thread has been so sad
i think i have coarse hair too
no wonder why stretching gives me so much breakage
this healthy hair journey is so frustrating and fruitless right now
:nono::crying3:

i seriously HATE my hair

Awww, I feel your pain. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with my hair.

Hang in there, we will find a way to make our hair more manageable!

I do this as well.

I have very coarse hair. I'm always looking at my strands like how in the world is this even possible :lol: My old stylist asked me one day, why my hair felt so wiry, I was like um, you've been doing my hair for almost 10 years and you're now discovering this:lol:

My friend also told me my hair cut her, when she was braiding it.

My hair can be soft. BUT the struggle is can it stay soft for a very long time. That I havent been able to master.

I swear people with coarse hair are the minority. People say fine hair is fragile and coarse hair is strong but I think coarse hair can be just as fragile if not more.

OP, at least you can retain length, sometimes it's like my coarse strands snap so easily. I'm a 4z too, so my hair tends to be very dry.

My hair is also resistant to relaxers and I hate it. I use a super btw, and it still comes out texlaxed.

I completely agree with what you said especially the bolded my hair is so dry and always breaking i sometimes feel like i'll never get past armpit because even though my hair always seems to be growing fast, it breaks faster!! :wallbash: ...i just don't know what to do anymore.:nono:

Where did you get your unrefined from? Also, are you natch?

i bought a lb. of unrefined shea butter for 8.49 online at unrefinedsheabutter.com. although, if you are in NYC, you can buy unrefined shea butter from any of the street vendors in harlem around 125th or from any of the muslim owned stores in downtown brooklyn off of atlantic and 4th. the one i bought online is creamier and has a smoother consistency than the ones i've bought from street vendors in ny though.

oh, and no, i'm not natural. i'm texlaxed. recently switched to texlaxing with a lye relaxer, which seems to be making a world of difference on my hair so far. the no lye relaxers were killing my strands.

anyway, let me know how it goes it if you try the unrefined shea butter again. :)

I have coarse hair, and I actually like it... most of the time.

Does anyone have a problem with really strong knots though? Since my hair is coarse, when I get a knot, those knots are strong enough to pull another hair clear our of my scalp.

I think when it comes to strength, coarse hair can probably take a lot of heat, but combing and brushing is murder. At least, that's what I have observed. I could probably flat iron my hair everyday for a week, and it would still revert. Put a comb through it, and it looks like I've had a haircut.

Never had a problem with relaxers though. My hair always took relaxers.

Ok, my hair is thick and coarse, whether I relax or am natural, combs and brushes get caught in my hair.:ohwell: I have to use my fingers to separate my hair. Also wide tooth combs and my denman brush are my best friends. Shea butter did help my natural hair, but I wonder if it would help my relaxed hair. One side is less processed than the other so I have to baby the left side because it is the more natural side.:sad: That side tangles more than the other.:rolleyes:

:look::rolleyes:
@ I had just relaxed my hair and was at the gym (I forgot my bandana) and one of the guys there was talking to me and said,"We men appriciate it when you ladies keep it real and stay natural. I like your hair." I just relaxed my hair a week ago.:ohwell: He could not tell. :wallbash:

:funny:

I so can identify with that:yep:- My freshly relaxed hair never looks freshly relaxed:wallbash:

Really? ppl just put shea butter to deep condition? it doesn't even seem to have water .. or does it hold it in?

All I know is when I tried unrefined shea butter that stuff just sat on my hair. I applied a little bit to my ends.. I guess I should try a whipped shea butter?

I DC'ed with shea butter once, and it left my hair super soft for a couple of days. My hair likes really heavy stuff, so it worked for me.

Did you melt it in the microwave first?

Really? ppl just put shea butter to deep condition? it doesn't even seem to have water .. or does it hold it in?

All I know is when I tried unrefined shea butter that stuff just sat on my hair. I applied a little bit to my ends.. I guess I should try a whipped shea butter?

NO YOU DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TRUST ME!!

I dont want to make it seem like our hair is bad, but I'll just say it's very challenging. It makes length retention and moisture retention a lot harder.. at least for me..[/QUOTE

Are you serious? I have been sitting up here envying ladies with coarse hair and telling myself, my hair would be to my bottom if I only had coarse hair. Well, waaaahdiyaknowaboutit?!!!!

I just want to make sure I have this right.

Coarse AND fine hair is not possible.

But fine and wiry/wooly hair is? I think this is what I have, which is why my hair seems so thick.

Coarse hair is not necessarily thick? Like what I noticed many asians have, but the individual hairs are thick?
But many black women who are natural and fine look like their hair is thick because of the natural curl which adds volume?

I was always under the impression that coarse meant dry, rough. I didn't know it had to do with thickness.

Last edited:
I have very fine hair but lots of strands.

I am just reading this thread with interest .... I sometimes wish my strands were coarser because I think my hair would be stronger and I just get the impression that it would retain length better.

My hair is coarse and thick! My mom would relax my hair with 2 boxes of super strength for it to even take, for way past the recommended time.

I just want to make sure I have this right.

Coarse AND fine hair is not possible.

But fine and wiry/wooly hair is? I think this is what I have, which is why my hair seems so thick.

Coarse hair is not necessarily thick? Like what I noticed many asians have, but the individual hairs are thick?
But many black women who are natural and fine look like their hair is thick because of the natural curl which adds volume?

I was always under the impression that coarse meant dry, rough. I didn't know it had to do with thickness.

Coarse means thick, individual strands. The opposite of fine, which means thin, individual strands.

I would guess that only coarser textures would be wiry. The thick strands feel a little like wire.

Wooly - I'd think that any type 4/kinky/coily head can be described as having tightly compacted, woolly hair.

Coarse hair can be thin to thick in density.

Off Topic - It's funny how much my regimen has changed since my BC :lol: I forgot I did all that stuff on the first page!

Last edited:
my hair is coarse and medium/thin density.

My hair never really feels soft but it does feel really smooth. i like having coarse hair, although my relaxed ends can break easily due to damage when i try to break the natural section it is very hard to do.

my hair does require a heck of alot of moisture though and loves oils.

my edges are very coarse in a not so nice way. They are wiry and often feels rough, they are almost impossible to smooth back into a ponytail, the coils just pop back even with gel..oil...scarf method...

I,too, have coarse, woolly, wiry hair.:ohwell: It is thick too. I catagorize my hair type as 4w. It is so coarse that I can only texlax my hair. My sister says that my hair feels like steel wool. I have learned to accept it. I moisturize twice a day and everytime I wash my hair I always followup with a D/C. I sit under the dryer for 30 minutes.I have to do that twice a week. I use CFCG:lick: or Wave Nouveau:lick: as a moistuizer on wash days and I moisturize daily with CFC Instant Moisturizer.:lick: I always seal with an oil. I am consistent and I also keep a hair journal so I cna track which products worked and how I used them.:yep:

:lachen:
Same here..

Coarse Head checking in!
You guys should try honey and EVOO
as DC with heat... can we say soft hair....:yep

I'm trying to find a moisturizer
that helps my hair... any suggestions??..
I'm trying out S-curl and afroveda products
:

If it hasn't been mentioned already, try putting castor oil on dry hair, cover with plastic cap, leave for 30 min to hour or more if you have time, and then wash out. The results are yummy.

I've come to accept it...the middle and back of my hair is coarse, rough 4zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...I like it though, it doesn't give me any problems and I've found my staples that make it "silky"...if that's even possible. :lol:

I've come to accept it...the middle and back of my hair is coarse, rough 4zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...I like it though, it doesn't give me any problems and I've found my staples that make it "silky"...if that's even possible. :lol:

OOOOOOOOoooOOOO.
Please share..:)

OOOOOOOOoooOOOO.
Please share..:)

Its basically just my DC's and my butter. I've found that only products w/ majority natural ingredients KEEP my hair silky. My DC's:

Hairveda Strinillah & Shescentit Fortifying Masque.

Sealant: Whipped Shea Butter.

My hair is super coarse and thick. My sister recommended Nexxus Humectrus and I use it for a cowash because mit just tickles my hair. When I was relaxed a week after my relaxer people would ask when I am going to get my hair done? Now I am texlaxed if you could call it that my hair looks completely natural. The nape and back of my hair is softer and retain moisture but the crown is from another planet . I am trying to deep condition 3x per week with the stamer and see what happens.

Back