what do you use to pre poo?

mrslee

Love yourself first!
keylargo said:
I do pre-poo treatments about twice a week. I usually don't use shampoo to wash it out. The only time I use shampoo is if what I'm using leaves a residue or film. If it rinses clean, then I just apply my deep conditioner.
Lately, I've been applying Aubrey Organics GPB or Honeysuckle Rose conditioner or both to dry hair as my pre-treatment. I leave it on for an hour without heat but, if I'm in a hurry I'll use heat for about 15 minutes and then rinse. Then, I'll apply a deep conditioner for about another 15 minutes or so. This method seems to make combing my deep conditioner thru easier and my deep conditioner doesn't have to work as hard... My hair is softer and stays moisturized longer. I've also been able to extend my relaxer retouch to 12 weeks instead of 6-8 weeks by doing this.
I think I need to do more prepoo's. I am having such a hard time going past 7 weeks. My goal this time is to stretch to 10 ten weeks. I dont have any trips planned during this time, so I should be ok. I am trying to be cute for next week and broke down and got a touch up! Oh well! :/

keylargo

mrslee said:
I think I need to do more prepoo's. I am having such a hard time going past 7 weeks. My goal this time is to stretch to 10 ten weeks. I dont have any trips planned during this time, so I should be ok. I am trying to be cute for next week and broke down and got a touch up! Oh well! :/
Well, this is my first time stretching this long. The only thing that I can contribute to me being able to is the pre-poos. I'm hoping that stretching will help me retain my growth.
I'm planning to try some other things as pre-poo. I''ll probably try the oil and honey mixture soon.
Your hair looks great by the way mrslee :)

BobbieDoll

Usualy I use either EVOO and Honey or EVOO mixed with Hot Sixx Oil as a prepoo treatment but lately I have been experimenting. I have used EVOO and Suave Coconut Conditioner and KeraCare Humuctanto (sp). I usually leave it on for about an hour without heat. Next time I do one I think I'm going to use Pantene R&N conditioner and EVOO.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
keylargo said:
Well, this is my first time stretching this long. The only thing that I can contribute to me being able to is the pre-poos. I'm hoping that stretching will help me retain my growth.
I'm planning to try some other things as pre-poo. I''ll probably try the oil and honey mixture soon.
Your hair looks great by the way mrslee :)

Thanks Keylargo!! I wish I can take an updated picture but I dont have a camera. :(

Miss*Tress

• mixture of tea tree oil, shea butter, castor oil, monoi oil, sweet almond oil on scalp
  • shea butter, castor oil, monoi oil, sweet almond oil mixture on length of hair
do you make a concoction? see above

or a special shampoo? no

do you use a dryer or heat cap? plastic cap

how long do you leave it on? overnight

angellazette

bump

I haven't done a pre poo/hot oil treatment in a loooooooong time so I'm about to do one. I mixed avocado butter, coconut oil, honey and the rest of the aloe vera oil I had.

JazzyDez

I've prepoo'd with keraphix (protien treatment) before so that I wouldnty have to sit under the dryer twice.

What benefits do prepooing with oils provide? Protien binds to the hair so I understand that, but you will just be shampooing the oils away?? help me understand. :)

ShaniKeys

I use this great moisturizing mask from the Body Shop, it's got Brazil Nut in it, the results are amazing. I sometimes leave it overnight.

Attachments

• Brazil Nut.jpg
    Brazil Nut.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 15

glamazon386

EVOO, Honey, 1 egg and a little bit of conditioner. I heat it up in the microwave and put it in my hair. I leave it on for an hr.

gloomgeisha

On dry hair I appply a mix of Aphogee EFA Oils Concentrate, Coconut Oil, and Honey. I then leave it on for 45 minutes to an hour under a plastic cap.

Soul♥Flower

I use a pre-treatment I discovered online. It's main ingredients are coconut and molasses, the rest are 100% natural. I love it, for some reason when I use it my new growth turns out soft and curly and my relaxed hair turns out stronger and smoother.

BTW:I tried make it at home b/c I have enough hair products, but it just wasn't the same.:ohwell: Anyway, now I pre-poo with every wash.

MochaSilk

I originally got this from the homemade recipes section about a month ago. Been using it ever since. I add mayo and/or lime juice when needed.

1/2 cup Coconut milk
2 tbsp evoo
1 tbsp jojoba oil
2 tbsp honey
squirt of conditioner
1 tbsp Mayo (when I need protein)
squirt of lime juice (when my new growth got thick & unruly)

I whip it with a fork, put it in the microwave for 40 seconds. I take it out, whip again, and pour into an application bottle. I dampen hair with my spray bottle (distilled water), apply, put a plastic bag on and wrap my head with a warm towel. I leave it for at least an hour.

sunshinebeautiful

I prepooed for the first time with cholesterol and left it in overnight. After completing my regular routine, my hair was soooo soft. I think I might incorporate pre-poo into my routine more often.

pistachio

I currently have Burt's Bees Avacado Pre-Shampoo Treatment, yogurt, and coconut milk, and coconut oil as my pre-poo. I'm gonna leave it in overnight since i'm taking the day off work tomorrow.

deltagyrl

anky said:
*cough* ahem ahem... mayonnaise... break an egg in it... *cough cough*

OMG! You are a women after my own heart. I'm sitting here reading this w/ mayo in my hair.
K.I.S.S...........
:p

Last edited:

cmw45

JazzyDez said:
I've prepoo'd with keraphix (protien treatment) before so that I wouldnty have to sit under the dryer twice.

What benefits do prepooing with oils provide? Protien binds to the hair so I understand that, but you will just be shampooing the oils away?? help me understand. :)

Thank God someone finally asked? I mean, is it just to put so many oils in the hair that the shampoo ends up cleaning the hair but not stripping it?:perplexed

GirlywithCurlies

AN EVOO, Honey, & Mayo mask is my staple Pre-Poo. Depending on how my hair feels I might throw an egg into the mix for additional protein.

tijay

i pre-poo with coconut oil & panatene deep cond everytime i wash - makes my hair feel great!

sunshinebeautiful

I'm really new to this pre poo thing, but this past wash I mixed up some cheapie cholesterol with a bit of protein conditioner and olive oil, let it sit for about 30 mins on dry hair, washed, then DC'd. My hair is SOFT CITY today! This formula is a definite keeper.

deltagyrl

Ok. I had to come in here and testify, yes, testify about my first pre-poo experience.

I am 15 weeks post w/ plans to relax at week 16. My hair was starting to feel a little dry so I said, wth. I pre-pooed w/ mayonnaise only. It was greasy but almost immediately I noticed that my NG was loosening. I mixed in a few drops of hemp conditioner to mask the smell and left it in for a little more than 1 hour.

When I rinsed it out my hair was SO soft. I pooed and deep conditioned using my nacidit products. I mixed a little NTM recovery mask and jojoba oil into my nacidit conditioner and let it sit for 3 hours under a plastic cap.

I then rinsed and rollerset. I used NTM leave in and sealed my ends w/ Softee coconut oil. I sprayed each section of hair w/ water and used end papers.

My NG is still soft, my hair is shiny and I am in LOVE. The only bad part was that my hair wasn't totally dry (I airdried) so I had to put the back up. It's still cute, though.

Pre-pooing is the truth!! I wish I would've known sooner b/c this is a life saver when you're stretching.

Next time I'm going to pre-poo w/ mayo, honey & egg. I also plan to wash my hair in plaits/braids to minimize shedding/breakage..

Other than that I think I've found something GREAT for my hair!

Last edited:

KhandiB

I usually use a Protien (usually Aussie 3 minute reconstructor), a hot turban and a plastic cap.

ItsyBitsy

I use the Ojon restorative treatment overnight once a week. I have used that Brazil Nut mask from the Body Shop someone mentioned. It works pretty good too, but im not sure if it contains protein or not. Does anyone know?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I pre-poo with shea butter mixed w/ honey and wgo over top of that. I use a lot of both. I leave it in over night if I can but if not at least a few hours. I have noticed so much less breakage and shedding when I shampoo since I've been doing this.

morehairplease

rinygirl6 said:
I use a pre-treatment I discovered online. It's main ingredients are coconut and molasses, the rest are 100% natural. I love it, for some reason when I use it my new growth turns out soft and curly and my relaxed hair turns out stronger and smoother.

BTW:I tried make it at home b/c I have enough hair products, but it just wasn't the same.:ohwell: Anyway, now I pre-poo with every wash.

rinygirl6 can you post the name of this product? I am currently looking for a pre poo treatment and this sounds promising

thanks in advance,
tishee

p31woman

Suave Milk and Honey, Honey, AND EVOO. My hair loooooooves the HONEY!!!!! I wanna try shea butter instead of the Suave once my bottle runs out.

LovelyLionessa

I use LeKair Cholesterol or whatever conditioner I have on hand that I want to use up and I seal it in with oil like Africa's Best, Dabur Amla or Vatika, or Wonder 8. Cholesterols are great for pre poos, the LeKair is a favorite because it's so inexpensive, rich and thick, plus it lathers up when you rinse which is nice.

do you make a concoction? I used to add honey to my conditioners but I really don't this that much anymore because I like to keep my hair dark and honey can lighten it. I want to try Goldensugar's coconut milk concoction soon though.

or a special shampoo? I swear by my CON poos.

do you use a dryer or heat cap? I use a heat cap.

how long do you leave it on? As long as possible, a minimum of 30 minutes.