Pre-pooing?

Islandgurrl

How do I pre-poo? What do I use to pre-poo? How long do I leave it on? Do I clarify before or after I pre-poo? Do I then proceed to use a moisturizing shampoo then conditioner? I'm seeking some guidance....

wheezy807

i prepoo with dabur amla hair oil overnight. In the morning, i do my usual hair regime-shampoo and deep condition. I usually use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Sometimes i opt for a reconstructoring conditioner instead (atone reconstuctor), depending on how my hair feels.

Last edited:

pistachio

I put cholesterol and honey on DRY hair, and then cover with ashower cap with heat for an hour, then shampoo.

Lady Esquire

My favorite prepoo concoction is coconut milk, honey, evoo, with a condish for 15-30 mins, in a plastic cap, under a dryer. If not under dryer, than I will leave on for about 45 mins to an hour.

I also like to prepoo with oil alone, or condish alone.

When I want a protein, sometimes, I will prepoo with hair mayo, or cholesterol.

Neroli

Pre-poo using anything one or combination that seems appropriate, like:

condish, mositure or protein (great to use up condish gathering dust in cabinet!)
oils
honey/molasses
coconut milk
eggs
I'm sure I've tried more stuff, just can't think of all right now!

I've tried all of the above and each has its own merit and I rotate a lot, depending on hair needs. I will apply whatever pre-poo, cover with plastic for at least 10 minutes or more, then rinse and proceed.

Seeking8Rights

I prepoo with ORS Hair Mayo and Vatika oil:

My process is the same as Mach's in her Pre-poo video.

The only difference is that I leave mine on for a longer period of time.

I then clarify after I prepoo, then proceed with my Aveda Products.

Babydall818

Woo thanks for asking about this. I had no clue what pre-pooing was!
Funny, I was already semi-doing that but without the plastic cap and heat. thanks a bunches ladies!

Miss*Tress

maibabie said:
Ladies- do you pre poo on wet or dry hair?
Dry hair only for me.

My hair feels best when I pre-poo, but I haven't been doing it out of sheer laziness. After two weeks back on the bandwagon - DAHO overnight, CW the following morning - I don't think I'll be skipping pre-poo again.

Neroli

maibabie said:
Ladies- do you pre poo on wet or dry hair?

Dry hair only. Just apply whatever pro-poo du jour to my dry hair and put plastic on for at least 10 minutes, preferably longer. . . .

Dayjoy

Old School Member
When you pre-poo with oil, do you saturate the hair (pour it on) or just rub on a small-to-medium amount with the hands?

kittenz

I prepoo with ORS Hair Mayo and Vatika oil:

My process is the same as Mach's in her Pre-poo video.

The only difference is that I leave mine on for a longer period of time.

I then clarify after I prepoo, then proceed with my Aveda Products.

:confused: Why do you clarify after you prepoo? Wouldn't that strip the benefits of the con away? :look: Does it work better for you this way?

-- I prepoo with EVOO and any extra con on dry hair overnight. I cover my saturated hair with a plastic cap and shampoo in the morning (or whenever I wake up).

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I use a mixture of dabur Amla oil and a cheapie conditioner (suave humectress) and either pre-poo overnight w/ a gold cap, or use macherieamour's technique if i'm pressed for time. Either way, it comes out great!

dillard

i also use macherie's method. after trying different things, i've discovered a system that i think is really working for me.

i warm olive oil about 30sec, starting from the back i put the oil on my scalp and also on the length of my dry hair in sections until my entire head is done. I run my turban towel thingie in hot water and put that on and cover with plastic cap. i do stuff around the house about 15-20 minutes. then i get in the shower, use a moisturizing shampoo and deep conditioner, put on a plastic cap and leave that on another 20 minutes or so. rinse, apply leave-in conditioner and rollerset.

Last edited:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I'm finna go 'head and bump this thang up, too!

But I really want to know is what the benefits of pre-pooing are. I still do not understand...

Any takers?

ak46

I pre-poo on dry hair with AO GPB. I put on a shower cap and leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes (sometimes longer) while I do chores. Then I shampoo and deep condition under a dryer. Somtimes I do a hot oil treatment as a pre-poo.

One of the benefits I receive from pre-pooing is that it detangles my hair before I shampoo. I also read that deep conditioning works a little better if you apply the conditioner on dry hair. It also says to do it that way on the back of the AO GPB bottle.

Last edited:

Neroli

IMO, pre-poo helps to "prep" the hair for poo by moisturizing and smoothing the cuticles before poo. Also, helps counter the effects of harsh sulfates in SLS and ALS poos. Now, while the poo washes out the pre-poo (oils, condish, honey, whatever), the conditioning effects of the pre-poo is not wash out. Don't know if this makes since, but perhaps someone else can explain better?

Also, at www.longhaircommunity.com which is predominantly caucuasian, A lot of the oily hair types report good results by DC first on dry hair dirty hair, then poo without using a follow up condish. Basically doing it "backwards"! And they get the conditioning benefits without the extra oil from condishing after pooing.

dillard

I'm finna go 'head and bump this thang up, too!

But I really want to know is what the benefits of pre-pooing are. I still do not understand...

Any takers?

I think it's mainly to protect your hair from the stripping effects of shampooing. And also a way to get in a protein treatment if you use a pre-poo that contains that. Atleast those are the reasons I do it...