What does "NO HEAT" really mean?

Which of the following do you consider to be harmful forms of heat?

• Blow-dryers?

Votes: 146 84.9%
  • Flat Irons/ Curling Irons?

Votes: 161 93.6%
  • Hot Combs?

Votes: 156 90.7%
  • Steamers/ Processors?

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Hood dryers?

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • Bonnet / Soft Hood dryers?

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 7 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vintageglam

What do you really consider to be the definition of "no heat"?

I have noticed that some members view it as being "direct heat" whilst others consider it to be all heat.

Also for those who use "indirect heat" i.e. hood dryers for roller sets and heat for DC'ing etc do you consider this to be detrimental or beneficial to your hair?

TIA Ladies :grin:

Stella

Last edited:

Whimsy

When I see no heat it means NO HEAT of ANY kind. Even a heated D.C.

I see a lot of folks on the "no DIRECT heat" bandwagon though. For me that means avoiding blowdriers/flatirons.

I'm more of a low-heat person.

Miss AJ

What do you really consider to be the definition of "no heat"?

I have noticed that some members view it as being "direct heat" whilst others consider it to be all heat.

Also for those who use "indirect heat" i.e. hood dryers for roller sets and heat for DC'ing etc do you consider this to be detrimental or beneficial to your hair?

TIA Ladies :grin:

Stella

I've never seen a roller setter/steamer/heat DCer cry about heat damage so.....'nuff said.

Miss AJ

Mmm, a lot of indirect heat processes are too time consuming, especially if you have long, thick hair.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I view "No Heat" as being no direct or indirect heat.

IMO indirect heat isn't as bad but all heat can be damaging which is why I try not to over do my roller sets.

Vintageglam

I view "No Heat" as being no direct or indirect heat.

IMO indirect heat isn't as bad but all heat can be damaging which is why I try not to over do my roller sets.

Hi Pokahontas how often do you RS?

OT - Love the name btw - You should go and see her burial site in Highgate cemetry if you are ever in London. It's really spectacular.

prospurr4

In the beginning of my hair journey, I avoided all direct heat, which includes flat irons, curling irons, blowdryers, etc. Lately, I've added indirect heat to my "avoid" list, because ALL heat dries out my hair.

For me, NO HEAT means exactly that...I style my hair in airdried twistouts and rollersets, and my hair thanks me.

Miss AJ

Do you mean together or frequently?

Ummm, I'm sure your question makes sense to normal people but I'm a lil slow and got confused lol.....but when my natural hair was longer I rarely DCed with heat and I think I may have roller set all of one time lol. Even with indirect heat, ugh I loathed flat ironing my hair so I hardly ever did it and my hair was only SL but it's thick too. I look at ppl like LynnieB and wonder how the hell she has the patience to rollerset cuz I am good for getting half way through a style and quitting because I'm too tired and my hair has NEVER been as long as LynnieB's since I've been taking care of it myself.

JustKiya

Interesting.

I use 'indirect heat' I guess, because I use steam on my hair. Now, since my hair is wet during the entire process, I don't really consider that heat use - I consider it steam maintenance. :look: :rofl: Yes, it's splitting hairs, but *shrug*

I don't do anything with heat that dries my hair.

Vintageglam

Interesting.

I use 'indirect heat' I guess, because I use steam on my hair. Now, since my hair is wet during the entire process, I don't really consider that heat use - I consider it steam maintenance. :look: :rofl: Yes, it's splitting hairs, but *shrug*

I don't do anything with heat that dries my hair.

Thanks JK see this is where I am splitting hairs also i.e. at what point does heat become detrimental and at what point does it become therapeutic and how to find that fine balance between the two.

Natural Glow

Well I when I see No Heat I think of No direct heat like flat iron, blow dryer etc. Right now I'm kinda on a no heat thing but I wouldn't be opposed to doing a dc under the Pibbs although, i only dc right before/after I flat iron so I dont see myself doing that either.

When I rollerset I always straighten the roots with a flat iron so that's not no heat for me but I think a flexi rod set would be ok. I don't know

Vintageglam

By way of background ladies I went to see a Dermatologist recently about a skin complaint. However while I was there we got talking about my hair i.e. the fact its so fine and issues I have with my temples and edges. She was a nice lady and was not into making huge promises and ordering expensive tests but rather gave me a very "LHCF" like speech.

She said something that I am sure we all know but often need reminding of i.e. that as a fine haired Diva that I am more prone to breakage and shedding than say women with thicker stands and hence why I was more adversely affected by the damage I had suffered to my edges as opposed to someone with more resilient strands (common sense I suppose :ohwell:). As such this means no braiding, no weaving and mininum use of heat where necessary only.

Anyways. I plan now to blow-dry 1x every 2 months for length checks only. In the meantime, I want to "tweak" my reggie to protect my hair.

Currently, I steam 1x every 2 weeks and DC with heat weekly. However I am thinking of investing in a steamer which will take it up to 1x every week which will effectively mean I will be DC'ing with steam and then drying my roller-sets on medium heat under a bonnet dryer so just trying to work out if this is a reasonable use of heat (hence the poll and questions).

Air drying does not best suit my hair as it ends up all dry and crunch and becomes a nightmare to manipulate.

LushLox

Well the first three options on the poll definitely can be harmful if they are abused. As Miss AJ said I've never had any form of damage by using my hood dryer and I use it frequently for my rollersets, I don't really get much in the way of breakage so this level of indirect heat works for me.

Vintageglam

Well the first three options on the poll definitely can be harmful if they are abused. As Miss AJ said I've never had any form of damage by using my hood dryer and I use it frequently for my roller-sets.

Thanks CreamTee !

ot did you get my msg about the aphrodite?

LushLox

Yeah I did Stella, I messaged back. :)

Btw my hair is fine too, I don't think you'll have any problems with steaming and rollersetting once a week to be honest.

LadyRaider

This is my personal experiences.

1. Curling iron is demon heat. Think about how you basically wrap your poor little ends around the barrel and HOLD. Plus I tended to use the curling iron as a styling tool DAILY.

2. Flat irons are a close second particularly if you hold your ends in the flat iron. However in my case this was never something I would use daily. I'd straighten only on wash day if at all.

3. hooded dryers
4. blow dryers

I know this is controversial because hooded dryers get a pass, and blow dryers don't.

But... in my experience, sitting under a hooded dryer for 30 to 40 minutes was a HOTTER experience than using the blow dryer on 4 sections for less than a minute or 2.

Natural Glow

But... in my experience, sitting under a hooded dryer for 30 to 40 minutes was a HOTTER experience than using the blow dryer on 4 sections for less than a minute or 2.
I feel you there but it seems like a blow dryer for a minute or 2 is on a higher heat setting than a hooded dryer for 30 mins. When ever I blow dry I see little hairs broken off on my sink etc but not during rollersetting.

I guess it just depends on what your hair likes cause now that I think about it my sisters hair doesn't break off much when blow drying.

LadyRaider

I feel you there but it seems like a blow dryer for a minute or 2 is on a higher heat setting than a hooded dryer for 30 mins. When ever I blow dry I see little hairs broken off on my sink etc but not during rollersetting.

I guess it just depends on what your hair likes cause now that I think about it my sisters hair doesn't break off much when blow drying.

It could be. My hair has never broken off while blowdrying. And I am thinking it's not even 2 minute per section. I'll have to pay attention next time I blow dry my hair. I blow dry when my hair is about 80 percent dry.

It could be as well that like the curling iron, people may use the blow dryer more often... even daily. I do not.

What broke my hair off was the curling iron... BIG TIME.

maysay

To me no heat means no heat other than the water I use to wash my hair (which definitely isn't hot).

I honestly don't see a distinction between "direct" and "indirect" heat. I can't see how sitting under a dryer that is blowing heat directly on to your hair is "indirect". Especially because people use high temps and sit under them for extended periods (ie 30-60 minutes). And, I think it's somewhat counterproductive to constantly sit under a device that is designed to pull all the moisture out of your hair.

I also think some of the issues people have with their scalp and constant broken hair in their crown area may be caused by their constant use of hooded dryers because the heat is directly trained on that area for a long time. The only good thing about hooded dryers is that they can't go up to the same temperature that flat irons do. To me that just means it takes a longer time to see the damage that the heat can cause.

catgurl

When I've used the term no heat, I mean no heat at all, incl for DC.

However, I think that hooded dryers are less damaging than blowdryers and flat irons. Unless you use the blowdryer on the cool setting.....

I haven't given up heat forever but I retained 1.5 inches in 3 months since I stopped using it....hmmmm

BonBon

She said something that I am sure we all know but often need reminding of i.e. that as a fine haired Diva that I am more prone to breakage and shedding than say women with thicker stands and hence why I was more adversely affected by the damage I had suffered to my edges as opposed to someone with more resilient strands (common sense I suppose :ohwell:). As such this means no braiding, no weaving and mininum use of heat where necessary only.

OOoh:ohwell: I have fine hair and have been in braids for a while now. I have braided since school but I usually had big breaks in between doing them. The past year its been back to back and my hair seems thinner:perplexed

Maybe I should find another protective style *sigh*