What does "NO HEAT" really mean?

Which of the following do you consider to be harmful forms of heat?

• Blow-dryers?

Votes: 146 84.9%
  • Flat Irons/ Curling Irons?

Votes: 161 93.6%
  • Hot Combs?

Votes: 156 90.7%
  • Steamers/ Processors?

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Hood dryers?

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • Bonnet / Soft Hood dryers?

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 7 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
When I think no heat, I think no flat iron, blow dryer, pressing comb, or curling iron. I believe that hood dryers and steamers are safe, because if used correctly, there are no problems. I mean...how many heat-trained naturals do you know whom only use a steamer and/or hood dryer? All the ones I know use direct heat, and the ones who do not use direct heat to straighten do not have trained hair. So I just don't worry about it.

I will say that I have had dry hair or scalp from my hood dryer, but that's always my fault. I wasn't watching the heat dial well, I left my hair under too long, one of the products got crunchy...that kind of thing. And when I was using a hood dryer that was too small for my head, I had issues. But when I'm careful with the heat dial and use the correct size rollers for my hair to be a comfortable distance from the vents, I have no problems. I rollerset my hair once a week and dry with a hood dryer, and my hair usually does not complain, unless I fudge something up.

And I never think that steam is damaging because it's moist heat. Unlike dry heat, moist heat carries water with it, and puts that into the hair. Dry heat only takes moisture away, so I don't understand why the two would be equated.

Vintageglam

OOoh:ohwell: I have fine hair and have been in braids for a while now. I have braided since school but I usually had big breaks in between doing them. The past year its been back to back and my hair seems thinner:perplexed

Maybe I should find another protective style *sigh*

Yep this was my exp also. Apparently its not so much the braiding but how its done but in her opinion she felt the margin for error was too great especially if extensions are used which add unnecessary weight (esp when washed with all the extra water weight). Also as women we tend to be creatures of habit whom will stick to the same style and put tension and stress on the same areas....

My advice just switch up your styles i.e. braid for a month, the bun for a week and then french roll and then half wig etc etc. The trick is to keep your hair guessing.

When I think no heat, I think no flat iron, blow dryer, pressing comb, or curling iron. I believe that hood dryers and steamers are safe, because if used correctly, there are no problems. I mean...how many heat-trained naturals do you know whom only use a steamer and/or hood dryer? All the ones I know use direct heat, and the ones who do not use direct heat to straighten do not have trained hair. So I just don't worry about it.

I will say that I have had dry hair or scalp from my hood dryer, but that's always my fault. I wasn't watching the heat dial well, I left my hair under too long, one of the products got crunchy...that kind of thing. And when I was using a hood dryer that was too small for my head, I had issues. But when I'm careful with the heat dial and use the correct size rollers for my hair to be a comfortable distance from the vents, I have no problems. I rollerset my hair once a week and dry with a hood dryer, and my hair usually does not complain, unless I fudge something up.

And I never think that steam is damaging because it's moist heat. Unlike dry heat, moist heat carries water with it, and puts that into the hair. Dry heat only takes moisture away, so I don't understand why the two would be equated.

Very good points Chaos. The former I had never thought of bc effectively heat trained hair is effectively "damaged" hair as you have changed your hairs natural composition. The former is so true.

The reason I started this thread is to get a measure of what my hair can reasonably tolerate on a weekly basis. I feel that you and Cream Tee are right ><.

x Stella

LadyRaider

You can get heat trained hair from a blow dryers? If so I'd imagine that'd be the abuse of blow dryers... daily or twice a day. No one's going to sit under a dryer for that long. I think hooded dryers come off with a better reputation because no one could possible over use them.

BostonMaria

To me no heat means no flatiron, blow dryer or hot combs

My hair loves indirect heat. Especially in the winter. My steamer was the best purchase I ever made.

Creatividual

When I think no heat, that means none direct or indirect to me. Early in my natural hair journey, I swore off all heat. Now I'm more flexible and like to use some indirect heat and a blow dryer from time to time. A blow dryer is the only direct heat I will use and I still mainly air dry 99% of the time. I like to use a heated conditioning cap for conditioning and if I'm wearing my hair in braids for extended periods of time, I will blow dry my hair on low or cool setting. As long as I don't abuse heat, my hair thrives just fine.

NIN4eva

I've recently had to come to terms with the fact that my fine hair just doesn't like heat of any kind. Even when I've tried to DC with heat it just turns into a gunky mess. So for me no heat means no direct heat of any kind.

The closest I'm willing get to indirect heat is when I want to boost a prepoo or DC I'll cover my head in a soaking wet hot washcloth and cover that with a shower cap.

Aviah

No heat I usually mean no direct heat. Though Direct heat is a lot more drying, indirect heat does still dry it to a degree. I've never gotten heat damage from direct heat.

Ms Lala

I guess I am using no direct heat right now. I still occasionally use heat for my DC treatments. Anytype of heat can be damaging depending on how you use it. I even found that the hooded dryer was drying my hair out when doing rollersets if done to frequently or on too high a heat.

asubeauty

I've never had a problem with indirect heat and saw the most growth when I was doing weekly rollersets when I was fully relaxed.

Vintageglam

I guess I am using no direct heat right now. I still occasionally use heat for my DC treatments. Anytype of heat can be damaging depending on how you use it. I even found that the hooded dryer was drying my hair out when doing rollersets if done to frequently or on too high a heat.

This is my thinking too. I am very tenderheaded when it comes to heat so I tend to use my hood dryer on medium to low. It takes longer but its far more comfortable for me.

tocktick

It means no direct heat such as flat-irons, hot-comb and high heat blow-dryers for me. I don't think the occasional use of hood dryers and especially steamers is an issue on a no-heat reggie.

ThickHair

When I see no heat it means NO HEAT of ANY kind. Even a heated D.C.
This is me, I do not use heat in no way shape or form, direct or indirect. Low heat to me is like be a little pregnant. You either use heat or you don't. Rememeber this IMHO.

beans4reezy

No direct heat for me: blow driers, flat irons, curling irons. However, I do use a heating cap for my DC's, but I air dry my roller sets.

I guess by definition, I am a heat user- just indirect heat. It works for me.

tkj25

no heat to me means no direct heat (flat irons, hot combs, hot curlers, blow dryers) steamers & hooded dryers get a pass, because usually the heat is more diffused & i associated them with heating deep conditioners, or roller-setting.

LushLox

This is my personal experiences.

1. Curling iron is demon heat. Think about how you basically wrap your poor little ends around the barrel and HOLD. Plus I tended to use the curling iron as a styling tool DAILY.

2. Flat irons are a close second particularly if you hold your ends in the flat iron. However in my case this was never something I would use daily. I'd straighten only on wash day if at all.

3. hooded dryers
4. blow dryers

I know this is controversial because hooded dryers get a pass, and blow dryers don't.

But... in my experience, sitting under a hooded dryer for 30 to 40 minutes was a HOTTER experience than using the blow dryer on 4 sections for less than a minute or 2.

Yeah I did the same thing and the curling iron was my poison also, but I soon learned that my technique was all wrong. Instead of winding the hair at the ends you clamp the hair at the middle of the hair shaft and wind the iron through until it touches the ends, but it should only be a slight touch at the end. The difference is all in the technique, and not using heat stylers every day.

discodumpling

I use indirect heat for roller sets and DCing sometimes...the jury is still out on my opinion of weather or not it's harmful to my hair. I don't do it often & I haven't noticed any adverse effects from using a hooded dryer.

No heat IMO means just about everything on the poll except steam.

Solitude

To me no heat means no heat other than the water I use to wash my hair (which definitely isn't hot).

I honestly don't see a distinction between "direct" and "indirect" heat. I can't see how sitting under a dryer that is blowing heat directly on to your hair is "indirect". Especially because people use high temps and sit under them for extended periods (ie 30-60 minutes). And, I think it's somewhat counterproductive to constantly sit under a device that is designed to pull all the moisture out of your hair.

I also think some of the issues people have with their scalp and constant broken hair in their crown area may be caused by their constant use of hooded dryers because the heat is directly trained on that area for a long time. The only good thing about hooded dryers is that they can't go up to the same temperature that flat irons do. To me that just means it takes a longer time to see the damage that the heat can cause.

IMO, the difference between direct heat versus indirect heat is like the difference between an oven and a frying pan.

If you put a piece of chicken in a frying pan for 10 minutes, it's more likely to burn or get crispy than when you put it in an oven on low heat for an hour or so. The oven heat may even help the chicken RETAIN juice aka moisture.

Using this example, even if you don't completely agree, you can see the marked difference between putting heat directly on your hair and having warm air blowing around your hair. The key to a good blowdryer or hood dryer is actually a strong airflow, not necessarily high heat. That's why people love Pibbs - it's the strong upward air flow.

Heat has positive purposes, y'all. Not all heat is dangerous. Heat can help leave-in conditioner penetrate better, along with closing and smoothing the cuticles of the hair shaft.

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

I chose all as potentially heat-damage causing......because I think no heat means no heat. If you use a little heat then call yourself or regimen a LOW HEAT regimen in what ever form you use.

It ultimately comes down to understanding your hair's needs....Someone mentioned that her very fine hair doesn't like to be airdried...having very fine hair (but dense growth-so it LOOKS thick) ITA!

I only air dry when my hair is in twists...other than that I use the blowdryer or cold or LOW HEAT SETTING but HIGH blast. But I pick up my blow-dryer once every 3-4 months and only if I choose to straighten......

My hair cannot take too much direct heat like flat-ironing, and because I choose to aim for a low heat regimen I prefer to do my DC with a plastic cap and a towel wrapped on top...my body generates plenty of heat to warm it up under there. But I just think that rather than say well heat is okay...(cause truthfully it can be damaging to other's hair-whether direct or indirect)....its better to add that your heat regimen works for you....I know people who got their natural hair wrapped then dried under a hooded dryer and ended up with heat damage in weird places....Even indirect heat can be damaging unfortunately.....I like others on here have found that out the hard way.......

EbonyCPrincess

I rarely use any heat at all, direct or indirect, but in my reggie I state I either airdry or use indirect heat only. So I do consider hooded/soft bonnet dryers heat. However I don't consider steamers or heating caps used to DC heat at all, I think its necessary.

I don't do rollersets too often though bc I'm lazy...a damp bun or braidout is so much faster and easier! lol.

FAMUDva

Serious question: How is blow drying considered direct heat by LHCFers while hooded dryer is not? I'd always been under the impression that the tool ACTUALLY touching your hair was direct heat; ie. Flat iron, hot comb, and curling irons. Can someone help me see the logic as to why blow drying is being called direct heat while hood dryers is not.

TIA

curlyninjagirl

I voted "other" since I think blow dryers, flat irons, AND pressing combs are harmful forms of heat. I'm natural 4a and I've got a few strands heat damaged hair right now that won't get curly again.

I take "No heat" to mean no heat directly or indirectly and I don't plan on using either again. I don't know if indirect heat is harmful or not but I know it feels like hell under those bonnet dryers. No thank you.

I'll stick to the 98.6 that I trap underneath a plastic cap and a wool winter hat. Yeah, you know how you start sweating when you wear your winter hat inside? Try it, it works wonders for DCing.:grin:

Last edited: