What happens when you wear your hair down?

JFK

Me too! I know there are more stories out there after this Thanksgiving holiday. Who had family members drooling LOL?

Amerie2304

Second of all most white chicks can't tell a weave from real hair

I have to co-sign this from my experience. At my old job (before I went natural), I took my tracks out which were about 16 inches and my hair was shoulder length and all day they kept asking if I cut my hair. I was like err no just took my weave out lol. And now, I'm rocking a phony pony since I'm outgrowing my twa phase and I swear my coworkers were in total awe, like one actually thought my hair grew overnight and another asked if she could touch it because she couldn't believe it...smh.

gabulldawg

I am not quite at APL yet, but when I wear my hair down people always tell me how long it is. I don't think my hair's long, but I can tell I'm making progress. :yep: I can't wait to get to BSL! That's my ultimate goal. :yep: Whenever I wear it down I get stares and complements. Sometimes the white clients at my job will be in awe of how "long" it is. :giggle: But I don't really like wearing my hair down (straight) because it does get caught on everything and my daughter likes to grab and pull my hair and put it in her mouth! :lachen: I wonder how it will be once my hair gets BSL!

D.Lisha

Hmm...maybe i'm just oblivious to it all....but when I wear my hair down, I don't notice anything drastictly different from when my hair is up. It's not like I get these "intense" staring sessions or frequent "track checks"....
People do be like "wow you hair is growing" or "you should wear your hair down more often...I didn't know it was that long!". But..maybe i'm jst so oblivious that I don't even take the time to notice if people are taking a second look behind my back :shrug:

Coffee

I expierenced the Thug Situation this past weekend at the store my hair was down while it dried as i was walking out the store i turned around he was staring and when he noticed i was looking at him he turned his eyes the other way.

T, if you're ever out and see a woman following you and wanting to touch your hair, don't be afraid....it'll be me :lachen:.

Rae81

i have been wearing my hair in a braidout alot and when i do wear it straight i have this one older caucasion lady on my job who is always like you hair is so pretty and it is really growing and it catches me off guard and i start thinking why is she paying that much attention to my hair, but it makes my day :yep:. when i have in a braidout i get alot more compliments from bw who say they love when i wear my hair like that.

Lovelylife

Yeah...I stare at everyone with long hair. Even if it's the same length as mine. I guess it's just something primitive in me.

levette

I have kinda the same reaction. That is why I wear it up or in a banana clip. I hate drawing attention to myself because I am so shy.

Forever in Bloom

Me too! I know there are more stories out there after this Thanksgiving holiday. Who had family members drooling LOL?

I went over my sister's/brother-in law's house for a little while. His 30 family members were there as well :look: I had my hair in big twists styled in a crown twisted around my head, kind of like this

My sister's mother and law and his aunt kept going on and on about my hair. His aunt even said she wanted to go natural because of my hair :grin:

Trust me, I was not thinking I looked that great. My hair was still wet (like an idiot I went outside and caught a head cold that rainy Thanksgiving day :nono:).

Interesting what other people see...

frida1980

I went over my sister's/brother-in law's house for a little while. His 30 family members were there as well :look: I had my hair in big twists styled in a crown twisted around my head, kind of like this

My sister's mother and law and his aunt kept going on and on about my hair. His aunt even said she wanted to go natural because of my hair :grin:

Trust me, I was not thinking I looked that great. My hair was still wet (like an idiot I went outside and caught a head cold that rainy Thanksgiving day :nono:).

Interesting what other people see...

That crown is awesome. I just don't have the patience or dexterity to make them that small and neat. Although a few of my cousins did decide to twist after they saw me do it. Their hair is really long, so it looks good on them.

MissLadie

I wore my natural hair in a puff for a good 3 years. Then switched it up and wore it braided under a wig for about a year. I decided for Thanksgiving to straighten my hair to transition out of the wig. At Thanksgiving dinner, 2 of my aunts did a weave check. I only have a few hairs grazing APL:lol:

halocj

The few times i do wear my hair out the stares definitely increases from both men and women. what i find funny is the women breaking theirs neck to see what your face looks like after they discover your hair is real. I never let them down.

shunemite

I've stared at long hair before. Especially when I was in college. And most especially if it was a dark skinned girl like me. I just couldn't stop staring. I would stand behind her in class, or at the grocery store or gas station wherever I was and stare. I would whisper to other classmates and ask them if it was all "her hair". They would reply "yes", and then we would whisper about how beautiful her hair was. From my standpoint, it was a mixture of disbelief, awe, and wishing it was me.

sungtongs

i don't have long hair, but my hair is long enough that it looks like a curly pixie cut and not like a shaved head anymore (before the BC, it was APL relaxed). the kinds of guys that hit on me have changed drastically. instead of "thugs" catcalling when i try to go anywhere as mundane as 711, guys in bookstores and shy cashiers are calling me pretty. :look:

a different reaction is all. i can't wait until my hair is long. i'm not even gonna play like i'm not excited to have it blow in the wind. :gorgeous:

thecurlycamshow

I wear my hair up majority of the time and have had women in general stare when I wear it down. I'm more shocked when a woman who knows me ask if it's all my hair. Ok really? But I try to be mindful that they never really see my hair. I usually wear my hair down at home since my daughter like to touch and play with it. :grin:

MysteryMermaid

When I wear my natural (95% of my strands will be neck length in maybe 9 months) box braided hair down...

I look in the mirror and say

"Hm.... this is going to be gorgeous when it gets APL." .......................

Then I throw that beautiful mess RIGHT back under the Beyonce wig!! and start doin the uh-oh!

Whisper

A LOT of stares as well as ice grills, especially at work from all women! I'm bunned all of the time so when they see my hair out every 6 months its a shocker for them. Men compliment a LOT! They actually tell me to wear it out more. I actually love it because as of late I'm happy about my progress. :drunk:

Vashti

This reminds me of another delightful Thread (Long haired sisters can I live vicariously through you?) :)

Keep them coming!

Miss_C

*sighs dreamily* I can't wait for the day when my hair is long too.

OP, it might be the length, or maybe it's the health or a combination of both. A lot of BW have shoulder length hair but its dry and crispity-crunchity. If it's healthy, not to mention BSL and REAL? Well then everyone just stares in amazement.

When I last straightened my SL hair and it was healthy someone told me I looked like a rich man's wife :grin:.How many more compliments then will they give you?

If your hair was long, gorgeous and swinging, to the hood dudes you do seem bourgie and out of their leauge. Take it as a compliment and be glad you don't have to deal with it.