What is the number lesson you learnt on LHCF

Ganjababy

I always believed (prior to LHCF) that once your hair starts falling or breaking that there is nothing you could do to stop it but cut it off off.

The most important lesson I have learnt on LHCF is that you can (in many cases, with the correct knowledge and internal/external products) stop breakage or hair fall in its tracks.

What is the number one, most important lesson you have learnt about hair since joining LHCF?

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Out of everything, the top three (I can't pick one out of these) are:

1. Water is not the enemy. I swear..you never realize how much water is in this world until you try to avoid every drop of it. It's nice to be able to go swimming, to actually leave my house when it's raining, and to shower without leaning my head alll the way back.

2. You don't need to trim your hair to make it grow. I feel stupid for not catching on to this one sooner...if it was true, then my hair would be floor length by now.

3. You can take care of your hair by yourself. I was too cheap to be a hardcore salon girl, but whenever I wanted a wash and set or curls, I would go to the salon. It's nice to be able to make my own salon results at home. I always get fuzzy inside when people ask me where I got my hair done. :blush3:

MrsHdrLe

The difference between shedding and breaking. I would freak out when my hair would shed and quickly go back to braids. Now I have experienced the healthiest and longest hair I've ever had and it sheds like mad!

Liberianmami26

number one and most important thing learned on LHCF:
retaining length is how u grow hair long and in order to keep that length its important to moisturize

sunnieb

number one and most important thing learned on LHCF:
retaining length is how u grow hair long and in order to keep that length its important to moisturize

It's hard to pick just one, but I think this is the most important thing I learned here.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Okay....:look:It's Actually "Learned" and not "Learnt":nono:

I guess for me, is that Protein & Moisture are Equally as Important to both Health & Length.

It's dual approach. A Balancing Act.

taz007

The protein and moisture was the most important tip that I got from LHCF.

Ya know, I remember my white hair dresser told me (15 years ago) that I needed a protein conditioner. I purchased some Nexxus Humectress and showed it to him. He looked at me like a grew another head :ohwell: and told me "Honey, that ain't it".

Now, if I hadn't been so hard headed, I would have had much healthier hair sooner :look:

Last edited:

msa

To do my research. There's a wealth of knowledge out there on every little aspect of hair care, but you have to find it first.

Southernbella.

Number One Lesson Learned: The key to growth is retention. Seems simple once you know it but it's really not.

My thoughts exactly! Retention is the name of the game. All hair grows (that seems obvious, but I actually used to think my hair wasn't growing), but you have to take care of it for it to stay on your head. That knowledge has been very valuable and completely changed the game for me.:yep:

SistaSista

The most important thing I've LEARNED is how to properly moisturize my hair. I used to think that oiling my hair was the same thing as moisturizing. Boy was I wrong.

Finewine

1. underprocessing my hair is a good thing
2. new growth is beautiful, not something that needs to be hidden and quickly permed
3. sretching relaxers is great
4. protein and moisture must be balanced

Desarae

Retention is Key
Different hair needs different things at different times. (Protien and Moisture)

robot.

Okay....:look:It's Actually "Learned" and not "Learnt":nono:

I guess for me, is that Protein & Moisture are Equally as Important to both Health & Length.

It's dual approach. A Balancing Act.

Not to argue semantics, but "learnt" is also appropriate. Granted, it's British English, but maybe OP is from the UK. :yep:

Odd One

how deep conditioning can do a 180 on your hair

the whole protein/moisture balance explanation

protective styling for retention

LifeafterLHCF

I have learned that I am beauitful in spite of my hair length and texture...I use to equate APL or BL as being pretty only...And Im learning the importance of internal health.

jcdlox

deep conditioning with the right protein/moisture balanced conditioner and wrapping my hair at night has done WONDERS for my hair!!!

NorthernCalGal

For me it would be the importance of protecting my ends. Which means ALWAYS, wearing a silk scarf at night. In addition, and probably the most mindblowing is that black women are not limited to the small "black haircare" section at the store. If someone would have told me a year ago that I would be shopping for conditioner at Whole Foods, I would have never believed it.

iNicola

I am a Brit (among other things), but I have always been a tad confused about this learnt/learned. Thanks though:yep:

I'm from Jamaica and education system is fashioned after the British system as well. I've been confused about that (learnt/learned) in addition to other words.

I'm going to have to go with retention and protein/moisture balance.

classychic1908

The most profound thing is that I can choose to grow my hair long!!!! I don't need special genes, or products, or luck!

Second would be understanding how to properly moisturize, how to be gentle with my hair, and the importance of protective styling. I love this place!!!!