What I Learnt From My Second Big Chop

almond eyes

Dear Ladies,

In 2014 I big chopped.

I loved my short hair it was the best hairstyle ever.

I began growing it out and then I started to get over zealous with the hair products and the smoothing, oils, LOC method and the deep conditioners (for like two hours), pre poo, the twisting, the preening, the leave in conditioners, the butters. Eventually my hair got to almost APL and then started snapping off like wild fire even though I was doing my protein treatments.

I had no choice but to shave it off again in June.

Now it is December and I have a good three inches. What I have learnt, since that time I do not use any products for now believe it or not, every now and then if I want to have a different look I may use some rods with some gel, however, I only wash my hair and deep condition for five minutes only. I will incorporate a protein treatment in January.

My hair is fine and all I need is some light misting of water from the shower to bring it alive.

I have saved myself an enormous amount of money by not allowing myself to be a product junkie and I have saved my skin from all of those oils and butters.

I am sure that once my hair starts getting longer I will have to use some products, however I have learnt that everyone's hair is different and that I no longer obsess with the youtube hair channel because someone's hair really has nothing to do with you. Keeping it simple is working for me and not smoothing down my hair so much.

Best,
Almond Eyes

krissyhair

What made your hair snap so badly?

I have about 3 products for moisture, sealing and smoothing. No crazy 2 hour deep conditioning sets. It still needs product, but not everyday of the week. Every day though it gets spritz or rinsed (more often spritz) with water.

But really? No product at all this second big chop around?

almond eyes

What made your hair snap so badly?

I have about 3 products for moisture, sealing and smoothing. No crazy 2 hour deep conditioning sets. It still needs product, but not everyday of the week. Every day though it gets spritz or rinsed (more often spritz) with water.

But really? No product at all this second big chop around?

Too much pre pooing, over conditioning, too many products, too much smoothing the product down the hair, too much of the baggying. Recipe for disaster.

No, for the past six months I have not used any products except shampoo and conditioner to wash my hair.

My hair is very fine and I have both coarse and wavy pieces mixed in. I have lots of hair. Can't do too much to it or else it gets damaged fast.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Too much pre pooing, over conditioning, too many products, too much smoothing the product down the hair, too much of the baggying. Recipe for disaster.

No, for the past six months I have not used any products except shampoo and conditioner to wash my hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I am sorry this happened to you!! What a heartbreaking blow. I must say that you have confirmed more for me to NOT over DO it! I have not bought anything new and I'll keep it that way. Well you have retained 3" so you are doing something right. Less is more.

Alma Petra

Different heads of hair have different needs. Some can thrive on luxurious regimens with fancy butters and stuff. And some can do best with simple regimens such as plain shampoo and conditioner. Some ladies got their best results from adopting water only methods.

I know that over manipulation and the constant friction leading to gradual erosion (wear and tear) never fails to stunt my retention. And the occasional experimental disaster such as with protein or henna has given me crazy breakage before.

I really need the ladies to kick off these new Consistency and Low Manipulation Challenges for 2018

spacetygrss

Your story sounds just like mine a couple of years ago. I was having all kinds of problems with split-ends, mid-shaft splits, etc. I got a komaza analaysis. When we had the phone consultation and I told her all of the stuff that I was doing she told me to stop it immediately. Wash, condition, frequent protein (I'm HiPo), seal doing LOC, choose a style for the week and leave it alone. She said to follow the actual directions on the conditioner (i.e. If it says 20 minutes with no heat, then use it for 20 minutes with no heat. They said that for a reason. If that doesn't work, that's not the conditioner for you!). Since I cut out the prepooing, long conditioning sessions, etc, and upped my protein my hair has been thriving. What's funny is that my staple products are pretty much the same.

Like Alma Petra said, some people can do all of the pre-pooing, two hour conditioning sessions, etc, but that's not for everyone. Good luck this time around.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
HiPo, fine hair is finicky. Yes, it needs moisture but baggying on a regular basis will turn hair to frizzy mush. I can't baggy overnight at all.
Too much moisture, your hair will stretch for days (I experienced this). Too much protein, your hair snaps (experienced this also).
You tell yourself you need moisture/protein balance and purchase products to do such, only to overload your hair completely.
I have realized as much as I'm tweaking my regimen, less is more also. I pre-poo if I need to (Fall/Winter). I wash weekly, whether it's a Cowash or shampoo. I DC with moisture or protein and use finishing products that compliment the DC I did. Ayurvedic powders have helped extremely.
I'm happy you found something that works for you.

almond eyes

I am sorry this happened to you!! What a heartbreaking blow. I must say that you have confirmed more for me to NOT over DO it! I have not bought anything new and I'll keep it that way. Well you have retained 3" so you are doing something right. Less is more.

It was actually a good thing as I love a fresh hair cut however I was so mad at myself for the long hours and devotion to my hair making it seem more complicated than it was.

I truly believe less is more and maybe the more products the more your hair gets addicted to them.

When I first big chopped two or three years ago, I colored my hair brown and my porosity went to high and it took almost one year and a half to get my texture back. Never again.

Best,
Almond eyes

almond eyes

Different heads of hair have different needs. Some can thrive on luxurious regimens with fancy butters and stuff. And some can do best with simple regimens such as plain shampoo and conditioner. Some ladies got their best results from adopting water only methods.

I know that over manipulation and the constant friction leading to gradual erosion (wear and tear) never fails to stunt my retention. And the occasional experimental disaster such as with protein or henna has given me crazy breakage before.

I really need the ladies to kick off these new Consistency and Low Manipulation Challenges for 2018

Yes, I like that challenge.

I was watching those Youtubers running their hair up and down the shaft over and over and thinking that I needed to do the same thing when that was just causing damage and it is so funny how you never see things until it is too late when I was getting dressed for a function and wanted to do a bun I realized that the middle of my entire hair was down to one inch and I was in shock. Again, for some less is better.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
It was actually a good thing as I love a fresh hair cut however I was so mad at myself for the long hours and devotion to my hair making it seem more complicated than it was.

I truly believe less is more and maybe the more products the more your hair gets addicted to them.

When I first big chopped two or three years ago, I colored my hair brown and my porosity went to high and it took almost one year and a half to get my texture back. Never again.

Best,
Almond eyes

Wonderful outcome and outlook! Now that's how you make lemonade....

Thank you!

krissyhair

HiPo, fine hair is finicky. Yes, it needs moisture but baggying on a regular basis will turn hair to frizzy mush. I can't baggy overnight at all.
Too much moisture, your hair will stretch for days (I experienced this). Too much protein, your hair snaps (experienced this also).
You tell yourself you need moisture/protein balance and purchase products to do such, only to overload your hair completely.
I have realized as much as I'm tweaking my regimen, less is more also. I pre-poo if I need to (Fall/Winter). I wash weekly, whether it's a Cowash or shampoo. I DC with moisture or protein and use finishing products that compliment the DC I did. Ayurvedic powders have helped extremely.
I'm happy you found something that works for you.
Fine strand/ baby texture and mid- high porosity checking in right here.

So quick to soak up moisture. So quick to dry.

Alma Petra

+1 fine hi-po here. I can baggy forever but the moment I take the baggy off my hair dries up as if it wasn't even damp.

snoop

@almond eyes Glad to be able to read your posts again, but sorry to hear about your setback. I think you know a lot about what to do to keep your hair thriving and so now it'll be a matter of being vigilant about your progress.

Looking forward to reading about your progress with a minimal regimen.