What makes a great heat protectant?

UmSumayyah

I almost never heat style my hair (less than 1x a year, no lie) But curiosity got the best of me and I purchased a ceramic flat iron.
I know that Thermasilk has phytantriol, a heat protecting ingredient. I read in Allure to look for this ingredient in heat protecting products.
I have several other products (Elucence Serious Shining Spray, L'oreal Nature's Therapy heat protecting creme) that claim to protect hair from heat. They do not have phytantriol though.
Any thoughts? Anyone have a really great heat protectant, and what are the ingredients? I think some of these products are being misrepresented (i.e. Pantene's thermal protecting spray, which has the same ingredients in the same order as their light spray detangler!
)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I would like to know as well just in case I use a flat iron or something...

Would any moisturizer or oil be a good heat protectant???

Come on people who use heat appliances.

patience

Hmmm, I used to use the Neutrogena heat spray when I was permed. I'd also using the Infusium spray...and another one that was 2-colored that used to work well for me. The shine spray by Sally's used to work pretty well too for detangling, shine and as a heat protectant when I was permed. However, I haven't used any of these as a natural...sorry...

NGC

Okay - i feel old age creeping in. There were two products that I recall someone mentioning on one of the hair boards I'm a member of (can't even remember which board).

I think I read Aveda Univeral Styling Creme or something or other was decent (Valleygirl recommended it I believe). I also think Yante Coi used something in a red bottle (that one I can't remember - but if I do I'll post it when I get home).

pink_flower

Dudleys creme press is a good. I also recently purchased ION Heat Protection spray(Sallys). I like it a lot, the main ingredient is Cyclopentasilxane which seals the hair cuticle to protect hair from heat (thats what the bottle says anyway).

UmSumayyah

OK. Here is what I found on phytantriol:

http://www.beautycare.com/newspro/talk/953053590%2C28049%2C.html
Phytantriol - Unique protection against hot blow-drying
Environmental weathering is not the only damaging influence to which hair
is exposed. Hair goes through the stresses of grooming and hot blow-drying
every day. As many as 80% of females and 41% of males use a blow-dryer in
their daily regimen. The intense, focused heat of blow-drying is extremely
detrimental to the hair. Side effects include weakening of the hair
structure, resulting in a decrease in tensile strength and frequent breakage.
Phytantriol (PHY-TAN-TRIOL) is a high performance emollient and
conditioner used in hair care and skin care products. Recent research has
demonstrated the unique effectiveness of Phytantriol in protecting hair from
the damaging effects of intense heat exposure. One study found that hair
rinsed with a leave-in conditioner containing 0.1% Phytantriol and hot blow-
dried was not only protected from the heat, but also had improved in tensile
strength. Additional research demonstrated that the presence of 0.5%
Phytantriol in both a shampoo and conditioner acted as an effective heat
barrier, protecting the hair from the intense temperatures of the blow-dryer
and ultimately from structural modification of the hair.
Phytantriol, when used in combination with amino acids (the building
blocks of hair proteins) and Panthenol (a pro-vitamin B5 which is a powerful
hair moisturizer) increases their deposition to hair, enhancing the healthy
look of hair. Additional benefits to hair include prevention of split-ends,
moisture retention and protection against daily mechanical damage, such as
combing and brushing.
"Protecting hair from the damaging effects of UV radiation and blow-drying
is crucial," said David Djerassi, director of the Specialty & Cosmetics
Chemicals Group of Roche Vitamins Inc. "Just as skin requires year-round
defense from UVA and UVB rays and other destructive influences, so does hair.
The combination of Parsol(R) MCX/Parsol(R) 1789 and Phytantriol in hair care
products has been shown to be very effective in shielding hair from these
damaging elements and maintaining healthy-looking hair."
------

Phytantriol--helps retain moisture by reducing loss of water from hair
protects hair from mechanical damge through combing
increases penetration of panthenaol and amino acids into the shaft of the hair
lends gloss to dull and damaged hair
the percentage of hairs with split ends can be reduced from 84 to 54 when, for eample, 0.2% Phytantriol is added to a hairspray, a hair rinse or a hair tonic (from http://www.roche.com/vitamins/pdf/phyt.pdf)

UmSumayyah

And here is what I found on the various forms of Cyclopentasiloxane; (from: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:ZoK3MxuBT88J:www.gesilicones.com/silicones/americas/business/industries/pdffiles/PCSelectorBro.pdf+Cyclopentasiloxane+&hl=en )
Cyclopentasiloxane (SF1202) is a volatile, low-viscosity fluid. It is non-polar and insolublein water, and it is completely miscible in loweralcohols and other typical solvents used in cosmetics. In personal care applications, it isoften used as a carrier, which evaporates without residue, while providing lubricity and detackification.

Cyclopentasiloxane (and) Dimethicone(SF1214) is a fluid blend of cyclic silicone andhigh molecular
weight silicone gum. It exhibitsuniform spreading, anti-whitening and durabilitycharacteristics, while imparting a non-greasy,soft, velvety feel to hair or
skin.

Cyclopentasiloxane (and) PEG/PPG-20/15Dimethicone (SF1528) is a formulating vehiclefor making water-in-oil emulsions.
It allows coldprocessing, reduces the tackiness of moistur-izing products, and provides a non-greasy, elegant feel.

Cyclopentasiloxane (and) Trimethylsiloxysilicate(SS4230) is a film forming resin, dissolved involatile silicone fluid, that provides increased water
resistance and durability. It improvesspreading characteristics and provides a “dry”emollient feel.

UmSumayyah

I'll keep reading on this, but in the light of my research I plan to always use thermasilk + a serum when I flatiron. (I plan to flatiron 8 times a year or so, so it will take me a looooong time to use it all up.)

JenJen2721

I know Profectiv states that their Healthy Ends cream is a heat protectant, but it doesn't contain Phytantriol. However, it is much thicker than the others in the Profectiv line, so perhaps it forms somewhat of a barrier between your hair and the heat tool?

Just a theory.

Irresistible

universal styling cream aint no joke it protects alright..so much so thats its hard to get it staight....if your using heat to straighten ,this will protect it, but will make it hard to straighten. at least it did for me

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
universal styling cream aint no joke it protects alright..so much so thats its hard to get it staight....if your using heat to straighten ,this will protect it, but will make it hard to straighten. at least it did for me

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur

Heavenly

Wow this is an old thread.

I use Chi Silk Infusium which contains amino silk acids which I believe is supposed to offer some form of protection against heat.

I also apply some Chi keratin mist prior to the infusium.

jamaica68

I have no clue what makes a great heat protectant but the ones that I've heard most about on youtube and other hair boards are CHI Silk Infusion, Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Heat Protectant Spray(sold in Sally's) and Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide.

I've only straightened my hair once since I've been natural but I do plan to straighten it again before the end of the year and I've decided to try the Silk Elements(reasonably priced) so we'll see what happens.

I'm also gonna try using Argan Oil on my hair when I flat iron which I read about in another thread.

ceebee3

I use serums when I rollerset but I don't think anything is really going to protect your hair from heat.

I've never really used a heat protectant before, but I've never flat ironed a lot either. I only flat iron on rollerset hair.

Oh, I did try the John Frieda spray when I blowdried once but I don't know if it's a good protectant.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I like FHI Hot Sauce. It leaves my hair light and soft.

From Folica.com:

If love your hair, you should protect it from the potential drying and damage from flat irons, hair straighteners and other heat styling appliances with FHI Heat Hot Sauce thermal protectant.
Most finishing hair products are silicone-based, which means they simply coat the outside of the hair to leave it feeling smoother. This is a temporary effect and will allow unwanted product residue to build up on the hair. FHI Heat Hot Sauce is moisture-based - when used in conjunction with FHI Heat irons (Any Ceramic iron will do) it will actually penetrate into the core of the hair to reconstruct and deeply condition the hair from the inside out!. FHI Heat Hot Sauce has heat-activated jojoba crystals that dissolve and deeply penetrate into the hair, thus dramatically improving the quality, condition and texture of the hair. This is not a temporary effect - with regular use of FHI Heat Hot Sauce, dry hair will be moisturized and damaged hair will be restored!

Product Benefits:

Moisture based thermal protection
Heat-activated Jojoba crystals repair, moisturize, and condition
Moisturizes dry, damaged hair

The ingredients are:

Water, cetearyl alcohol, amodimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Incroquat Behenyl, TMS, Shea Butter, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Cetrimonium Chloride, Silk Amino Acids, Algae Extract, Tetrasodium EDTA, Rosemary Extract, Witch Hazel Extract, Hydrozypropyl Guar, Jojoba Esters, DM Dm Hydantoin, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Contains Crystalized Jojoba